Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Pernicious anaemia is an autoimmune condition that affects your stomach. An autoimmune condition means our own immune system (body’s defence system) instead of that protecting our body strangely turns against it and starts attacking our body’s healthy cells. In your stomach, vitamin B12 is combined with a protein called intrinsic factor. In case of pernicious anaemia our immune system attacks and destroys the cells in the stomach that produce the intrinsic factor which is necessary for proper absorption of vitamin B12 from our gastrointestinal tract. As a result the body is unable to absorb vitamin B12 which leads to anaemia caused by chronic deficiency of vitamin B12.
Pernicious anaemia is the most common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency in the UK and is more common in women around 60 years of age, people with a family history of the condition and those who are diagnosed with other autoimmune conditions.
In this type of anaemia red blood cells are larger in diameter and fewer in number. Megaloblastic anemia is caused when red blood cells aren’t produced properly. Because the cells are too large, they may not be able to exit the bone marrow to enter the bloodstream and deliver oxygen.
POSSIBLE CAUSES: Since pernicious anaemia is an autoimmune disease please go the article dealing with this subject to find what factors may be responsible for changing the nature of our immune system and causing autoimmune diseases such as pernicious anaemia. >
SYMPTOMS: Low iron, low haemoglobin and red blood cells leading to low oxygen in the body, lack of appetite, constipation, irritability, inability to concentrate, fatigue, pale skin, dry mouth, weakness, headaches, chest pain, weight loss, nausea and vomiting, confusion, low mood, depression, heartburn, etc.
Untreated pernicious anaemia gradually leads to stiffness and tightness in the muscles, peripheral neuropathy (numbness and pain in the arms and legs), progressive lesions of the spinal cord, memory loss, etc.
– Methylcobalamin (must be sublingual) 2,000 to 3,000 mcg a day under the tongue (only with breakfast) for one month. After 3 months reduce to 1,000 to 2,000 mcg a day (with breakfast). Read very interesting article on VITAMIN B12 >
– Folic acid: 800 mcg twice a day with meals for a month. After that 400mcg.
– Take a lot of natural iron every day. Iron in spirulina is 45 times more concentrated than in spinach! Chlorella and Molasses (2 tablespoons a day) are also very good sources of iron. Avoid synthetic iron.
– Vitamin C (only in the form of L-ascorbic acid): not less than 1,000mg with breakfast.
– Other vitamins and minerals: B6 (100mg a day), B3 (Niacin), Zinc (30mg a day), Copper (2mg), Pantothenic acid (100mg), Biotin.
– Eat more: Green leafy vegetables, parsley leaves, beans, dry fruit (especially peaches and apricots).
– Avoid: Coffee, dairy products (contain very little iron and tend to bind iron present in other foods).
– Sleep seven to eight hours.
– Exercise stimulates the bone marrow to produce blood cells and promotes the absorption of iron.
– Deep breathing of pure air is essential for cleansing the blood.
– Good quality Multivitamin-mineral formula or Vitamin B-complex: 1 tablet after breakfast. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as Healthy Mega (HealthAid), VM75 (Solgar) or Special Two (NOW Foods) which are an excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formulas fortified with alfalfa powder, rutin, citrus bioflavonoids, bromelain, herbs, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. If your diet is very healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1/2 tablet after breakfast.
– Since Vitamin B complex (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, Folate) play very important role in dealing with ADHD I recommand getting B complex with a good guality multivitammin-mineral formula which is high in B vitamins. One of my favourite ones is Healthy Mega (HealthAid) as it is not only high in B vitamins and at the same time it contains zinc, selenium, herbs, digestive enzymes, micronutrients, and few super grasses. Compared with other popular formulas Healthy mega may contain even up to 60 times more vitamins per tablet!
Adults may take 1 tablet of Healthy Mega after breakfast, children 1/2 tablet (or less) crushed and mixed with juice after breakfast.
– Chia seeds are very helpful too as it is regarded as the best source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Mix 1-2 tablespoons with fruit juice or plant-based milk every morning and eat it after at least 30 minutes with your breakfast.
– If possible your child should be on Hallelujah diet (most effective of all diets) or at least use the most important elements of this diet. Read more >
– Vitamin D3: 20,000 IU a day with meal (children 5,000IU). Try to increase the blood level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D to at least 50 or more ng/ml.
– Magnesium citrate or another well absorbed magnesium: 2 times a day 200-400 mg between meals. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency.
In order to speed up the recovery it is crucial to implement principles included in HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
– If you believe in existence of God don’t forget about daily fervent prayers and reading or listening to a good spiritual literature (such as the Bible, Desire of Ages > and “Ministry of Healing” > by Ellen G White available online free of charge) which presents God as loving, healing, forgiving, carrying and saving from eternal death Person. All this will greatly increase the effectiveness of your improved diet and lifestyle: “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1Thessalonians 5:16-18, NIV); “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV). Because from my own experience I know and remember how difficult it was, in my case, to change my eating habits and give up on junk food and stimulants using my own pathetic at that time will power, I recommend to you reading or listening to a book “Steps to Christ” > and Great Controversy > by Ellen White. If you carefully study all the information presented there and follow the steps, you will not only become victorious but will actually experience an inward transformation which will enable you to enjoy your new lifestyle (including diet and physical activity).
Please read this extremely important part (LINK) very carefully as it reveals the secret of finding true source of strength necessary to overcome bad habits and will help you to gain a powerful motivation to not only practice but also enjoy the new and very healthy way of life.
– In order to speed up the recovery it is crucial to implement principles included in HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
Share this website to save lives and bring relief to the suffering!
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.