Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Down’s Syndrome (DS) is a genetic disorder that occurs when a child is born with an extra copy of chromosome 21. This leads to a variety of developmental and physical problems, mental retardation of varying degrees as there is a disproportionate impairment of specific systems such as the cerebellum, hippocampal formation, and the prefrontal cortex. Though it’s important to note that everyone with Down syndrome is different.
WOMEN BEFORE AND DURING PREGANCY
– Supplementation with vitamin B9 in the form of L-methylfolate (don’t take folic acid) is the most effective way to prevent Down Syndrome. Women who plan pregnancy should take 400 mcg of l-methylfolate every day. Dont take vitamin B9 in the form of folic acid (sinthetic form of this vitamin) as abnormal metabolism of folic acid in the body and mutation in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene may be maternal risk factors for Down Syndrome.
– Another excellent vitamin to prevent DS is sublingual methylcobalamin form of vitamin B12 (don’t take cyanokobalamin): 1-2000 mcg under the tongue only after breakfast every day before and during pregnancy.
– Take chlorella powder or tablets before breakfast and lunch. Read article on Chlorella >
– Avoid stimulants (smoking, alcohol, tabaco, caffeine, black tea, green tea, guarana, cola, etc.), fish (very high in mercury and lead), sugar, gluten, dairy products, MSG, high fructose / high glucose syrup, vegetable oils (corn oil, sunflower oil, soya oil, vegetable oil, etc.), margarines.
– Every day consume 1 tablespoon of a raw home-made sauerkrout or take a good probiotic formula such Symprove, UltraProbio or ColiProbio.
– Avoid antibiotics and instead use natural antibiotics such as raw garlic or Garlic Max capsules, Propolis, Golden seal alcohol-free tincture, Coconut oil, raw onion, etc.
– Diet should contain a lot of fibre (unrefined plant foods) and Four Critical Foods (see HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >).
– Vitamin D3 (5,000 – 10,000 IU a day). Taking vitamin D requires magnesium without which vitamin D is useless. In addition vitamin D leads to magnesium deficiency.
– Magnesium citrate or magnesium chloride oil (for external use – absorbes through the skin) or another good magnesium (2 x 400 mg a day).
– Ground flaxseed – 1 tablespoon 1 or 2 times a day with meals.
– Digestive enzymes with meals.
– Drink and use for cooking only Distilled water >
Fortunately, if you have a child with Down Syndrome, there is a lot you can do to improve the cognitive function, prolong their life and keep them healthy and vibrant.
The main goal of treating DS is improving the function of the nervous system and brain (cognition). Once heart defects and hypothyroidism are addressed, the following goals are the priority:
- Improving cognition
- Extending life expectancy
- Reducing organ damage that occurs with DS
- Preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
– In order to obtain optimal results it is crucial to implement principles included in the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
– If possible your child should be on HALLELUJAH DIET (most effective of all diets) or at least use the most important elements of this diet. Read more on Hallelujah Diet >
– Children with DS usually experience improvement on diet free from CASEINE (dairy) and GLUTEN (wheat, etc.).
– L-methylfolate (bioavailable form of B9): 400 mcg after breakfast.
– Sublingual METHYLCOBALAMIN form of vitamin B12 is effective in reducing symptoms of DS. Methylcobalamin (must be sublingual) children: 1000 to 2000mcg, adults: 2,000 to 3,000 mcg a day under the tongue (only with breakfast). After 3 months reduce to 1,000 to 2,000 mcg a day (with breakfast). Read very important and interesting article on VITAMIN B12 >
– Use only raw organic Coconut oil. No other oils or fats.
– Acetyl L-carnitine (it passes blood-brain barrier much better than L-carnitine): 200-600 mg a day. In one study 50 mg per kg bodyweight of L-carnitine, taken daily, significantly cognitive function. Similar results were achieved after using an 800 mg daily dose of L-carnosine. L-carnitine levels are often depleted in various neuromuscular disorders such as Down Syndrome. There is also some evidence that Acetyl-L-carnitine can improve visual memory and attention in people with Down Syndrome.
– Coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinol or ubiquinone in oil base) supplementation improves oxidative imbalance in children with DS. Use 30 mg of CoQ10 two times a day for a child (morning and evening) and 120mg two times a day for adult. In one study 30 mg of CoQ10 improved sleep, communication, and decrease food rejection.
– Alpha lipoic acid is a supplement used to help improve DS symptoms: 250 to 600mg a day. It is one of the most important remedies in DS.
– Since in DS the oxidative stress is increased and detoxification is decreased it is very important to detoxify their bodies (Chlorella, Charcoal, Distilled water, Vegetable juices, etc.) and provide best possible antioxidants (Alpha lipoic acid >, L-cysteine > etc.).
– Zinc sulfate supplementation improves thyroid function in hypozincemic Down children. Zinc citrate (citrate shouldn’t cause nusea): 2 x 50mg after meals. Zinc is one of the most important supplements! The problem with zinc however is that in some cases it causes nausea. For this reason always give zinc after meals and if it still causes nausea try different types and divide into smaller doses.
– Children with DS are deficient in antioxidant GLUTATHIONE (king of all antioxidants) which plays most important role in detoxifying and regenerating the body. In order to increase glutathione a child needs to receive Alpha lipoic acid, L-cysteine or NAC (N-acetylcysteine) (600mg a day), Milk thistle (alcohol-free drops by Natures Answer), should be used on regular basis. Although glutathione supplements are available you will get better results by increasing it through regular exercise, Methylcobalamin, Vitamin B6 (in active form P5P), Folate (fom green juices but not folic acid), Selenium, Garlic, Onion, Broccoli, raw Cabbage, Cauliflower, Vitamin E and C.
– To remove mercury from your Child’s body and brain use good quality organic CHLORELLA. It gives excellent results in DS! Some parents report incredible improvement when they gave chlorella to their children with DS. Children with DS can’t detoxify their body properly especially from heavy metals. That is why chlorella gives such a good results. Apart from that it can regenerate nerve tissue! Read my article about Chlorella >
– All the time use a good quality PROBIOTIC formula such as UltraProbio, MoodProbio (HealthAid) or Symprove as DS is associated with lack of probiotic bacteria and negative changes in the colon (Leaky Gut Syndrome, diarrhoea, constipation and abdominal pain, etc.).
– OMEGA 3 fish oil (molecularly distilled): 750 – 1500 mg a day with meal. DHA omega 3 is more important in improving brain health while EPA in coping with inflammation. Studies demonstrated that Omega 3 supplementation decreases symptoms of DS.
– Vitamin D3: 5,000 IU a day with meal (adults 10,000 IU a day). The more vitamin D is used the more magnesium must be taken as D leads to magnesium deficiency and it is useless without enough magnesium in the body.
– Magnesium citrate or another well absorbed magnesium: 2 times a day 200-400 mg between meals. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency.
– Detoxification of the body and boosting the immune system is recommended. It can be achieved by exercise, using vitamin D3, zinc, Chlorella, Spirulina, antioxidants (Alpha lipoic acid, NAC), methylcobalamin, avoiding sugar, fructose, glucose, dairy, cheese, meat, bad oils, etc.
– Vitamin C (use only L-ascorbic acid, not D-ascorbic acid): At least 1000 mg a day with meal. Read my very interesting article on Vitamin C >
– Good quality Multivitamin-mineral formula or Vitamin B-complex: 1 tablet after breakfast. A study by Harrell, Capp, Davis, Pearless, and Ravitz (1981) reported increases in IQ and improvements in behavior among mentally retarded subjects (one third of whom were children with Down syndrome) receiving nutritional supplementation. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as VM75 (Solgar) or Special Two (NOW Foods) which are an excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formulas fortified with alfalfa powder, rutin, citrus bioflavonoids, bromelain, herbs, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. If your diet is very healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1/2 tablet after breakfast.
– Since Vitamin B complex (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, Folate) play very important role in dealing with DS I recommand getting B complex with a good quality multivitamin-mineral formula which is high in B vitamins.
– Eat Broccoli-Sprouts and Sulforaphane (antioxidant found in broccoli).
– Evening primrose oil or Star flower oil.
– Vitamin B6 (P5P): 50mg with meal.
– Turmeric. Since studies repeatedly demonstrated that after one year turmeric was able to reverse neurological brain damage and literally cure Alzheimer’s disease it will be also very beneficial in DS.
– 5HTP Tryptophan. Researcher say that deficiency of the amino acids Tryptophan and Tyrosine may play a key role in cogniton and nervous system function.
– BARLEY GRASS POWDER.
– RAW VEGETABLE JUICES 2 x a day as much as possible 30 min before meals.
– Exercise and contact with nature whenever possible.
– DIET: NO DAIRY, MEAT, GLUTEN, STIMULANTS, SUGAR, WHITE FLOUR PRODUCTS, HOT SPICES, HIGH GLUCOSE / HIGH FRUCTOSE SYRUP).
– Read a very interesting article explaining how to increase SEROTONIN levels to improve mental health >
– In order to speed up the recovery implement principles included in HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
Please read this extremely important part (LINK) very carefully as it reveals the secret of finding true source of strength necessary to overcome bad habits and will help you to gain a powerful motivation to not only practice but also enjoy the new and very healthy way of life.
Share this article!
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved