Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Addiction is defined as a “compulsive use of any substance, person, feeling, or behaviour with a relative disregard of the potentially negative social, psychological, and physical consequences.”
The following article is very useful in treating any type of addiction as it contains very important general information and principles. For more information about a specific type of addiction see the links below:
- CAFFEINE ADDICTION
- CHOCOLATE ADDICTION
- CIGARETTE SMOKING
- CRIME ADDICTION
- DRUG ADDICTIONS
- SEX ADDICTIONS
- SUGAR ADDICTION & CRAVING
HOW TO OVERCOME ADDICTIONS
Numerous studies as well as countless personal testimonials give evidence that the most effective way of gaining victory over any addiction (including alcohol, drugs, smoking, sex, caffeine, sugar, chocolate or any junk food) is the simultaneous implementation of all the following elements at the same time:
- Going on a plant-based or at least mostly plant-based unrefined diet consisting of at least 50% raw vegetables (the more the better) and fresh fruits.
- Daily vigorous exercise for at least 60 minutes a day.
- Super foods, herbal remedies and nutritional supplements.
- The most important aspect of the treatment is gaining spiritual and moral strength through frequent fervent prayers (claiming God’s promises of forgiveness and power to overcome temptations); Daily feeding the soul, mind and spirit with spiritual food such as the Word of God (starting from the Gospel of John and other Gospels) and books including the Desire of Ages, Great Controversy, Steps to Christ, and Ministry of Healing (all by Ellen G White); and daily surrendering entire life, mind and emotions to the loving God.
Practicing listed below principles has helped many people all over the world to recover from all kinds of addictions and health problems. It will detoxify your blood, brain and liver from toxins and addictive substances greatly reducing craving. As a bonus it will also boost your energy levels and significantly improve emotional and physical well-being.
– During the treatment it is very important to completely avoid any stimulants (including caffeine products), foods and drinks containing refined sugar and white flour, or spicy foods as they increase the desire to use stronger stimulants. For instance, if you want to quit smoking, you should not drink coffee nor alcohol because these drugs would increase your desire to smoke, and vice versa, as smoking stimulates desire for alcohol or coffee.
– Switch to a totally plant-based (or at least mostly plant-based) unrefined diet eliminating the intake of all animal-based foods (dairy, meat products, and fish) as they contain too much protein, are packed with high-risk factors (cholesterol, triglycerides, dioxins, heavy metals, antibiotics, bacteria, virus, cancer cells, prions, etc.) and because they don’t contain fibre.
In many centres around the world, people addicted to alcohol or drugs were successful on a diet free from dairy, pizza, cheese, meat, sugar, salt, hot spices, additives, processed foods, and refined white flour products. This therapy usually lasts a few months and gives excellent results!
According to Professor Colin Campbell author of the bestselling book China Study, “The more you substitute plant foods for animal foods, the healthier you are likely to be.” The same scientist considers “veganism to be the ideal diet.” If you only reduce the consumption of animal products you may not see the positive results quickly which may lead to discouragement and resignation. However, when you decide to make radical changes in your diet and lifestyle you will see the positive results much quicker and thus gain stronger motivation to keep on following this excellent and optimal plan.
– Instead of cow’s milk and dairy use plant-based milk substitutes and products such as unsweetened coconut milk, oat milk, almond milk, organic soya milk, Tofu, etc.
– Your vegan diet must include variety of unrefined plant products such as vegetables (mostly uncooked), fresh fruits, well-cooked legumes (pulses, beans), whole grains, and unroasted soaked overnight seeds and nuts.
– You can eat as much fresh and raw vegetables as you want (especially carrots, green leafy vegetables, and cabbage family), but if you prefer to cook them do it moderately or steam your vegetables. You will achieve much better results if your diet consists of at least 50% or even better up to 85% of raw (uncooked) and unprocessed plant foods (especially raw vegetables and raw vegetable juices).
– Unrefined plant-based diet will lead to detoxification of the body and thus may result in some unpleasant symptoms such as headaches, nausea, rashes, pimples, diarrhoea or constipation, fatigue, etc. The healing process may also shortly increase pain or other symptoms which were felt in the diseased area of the body. If you experience these side effects, which are usually mild, don’t give up as they should disappear after a week or so and you will begin to feel much better than ever before.
– Include in your diet well-cooked whole grain products, especially barley, millet, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth.
– Drink 2 times a day 2 glasses of cold-pressed vegetable juice (mostly carrots and green leafy vegetables) about 30 minutes before each meal, then start you meal with most healthy and nutritious foods.
– Every day eat fresh raw (not cooked) sprouts (alfalfa sprouts, watercress sprouts, sunflower sprouts, etc.).
– Take 1 teaspoon of fresh raw organic ground turmeric two or three times a day with meals. If you don’t like the taste take organic turmeric capsules at least 3 times one capsule with meals.
– Avoid drinking fruit juices because they have high glycaemic index due to the fact that they are deprived of fibre and are high in sugar. Drinking fruit juices between meals will also cause stomach to release some digestive enzymes thus reducing their amounts during meals and impairing digestion.
– Make soaked overnight and cooked pulses (beans, lentils, chick peas, etc.) your best source of protein.
– Each day have about a handful of one type of raw unsalted and unroasted soaked overnight nuts or seeds (almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, ground sesame seeds, etc.), changing them every day.
– Often consume 2 tablespoons of soaked (for about 30 min.) chia seeds or ground flax seeds with your food (both are the highest plant sources of omega-3).
– Make your own homemade raw sauerkraut and have at least 1-2 tablespoons with meal every day as it is the highest natural source of extremely beneficial probiotic bacteria you desperately need in your intestines. Alternatively you may take a good probiotic formula such as ImmuProbio, ColiProbio or UltraProbio by HealthAid.
– Don’t eat overripe or unripe fruits, and avoid canned, fried, or frozen vegetables or fruits.
– In case you have a sweet tooth try to substitute the unhealthy products with fresh and dried fruits (dates, raisins, figs, prunes, etc.). If you miss traditional dairy ice creams, which are very unhealthy, make your own delicious and healthy ice creams by blending frozen bananas or other frozen fruits. You can experiment adding some raw honey (or sweeten the ice cream with xylitol or stevia), coconut cream, lemon juice, plant-based milk, a little bit of carob powder, ground cashew or other nuts to improve the flavour.
– It is better to not eat any sweet and flavoured yogurts (especially based on cow’s milk) because of fat and sugar content. Instead, from time to time have some unsweetened soy yogurt and mix it with sweet fruits, seeds (or nuts), oat bran or another good source of fibre, and add some raisins, dates, or a little bit of raw honey.
– Always eat good breakfast and avoid skipping it as otherwise you will be tempted to snack between meals and eat more in the evening which is unhealthy and dangerous because the metabolism at night slows down. Make breakfast the largest meal while supper the lightest.
– Try to have only two meals a day with the second one not later than at 6:00 pm (if possible) remembering that any food consumed after 6 pm will tend to be stored as fat. If you must have the supper make it very light (only either vegetables or fruits). Vegetable juice would be the best option.
– Don’t eat between meals. If you are hungry drink warm water (or unsweetened herb teas) as it reduces appetite for at least 30 minutes.
– Never use refined salt but only Celtic salt, sea salt or Himalayan salt.
– Avoid foods containing refined sugar as it spoils your appetite, weakens your immune system and leads to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Don’t consume sweetened beverages and foods which are high in empty calories, refined sugar, white flour, and fat. Never use artificial sweeteners nor high glucose / high fructose syrup as they are more harmful than even refined sugar.
– Never use any animal fat and avoid also free plant fats such as refined oils or margarines. Instead use only moderate amounts of cold pressed coconut oil or flax seed oil.
– Avoid cooking and frying with any oil but if you have to use only coconut oil or bake your food without any fat and then add some raw organic coconut oil or cold pressed flax oil if you wish.
– Avoid stimulants such as alcohol, caffeine (in coffee, chocolate, green tea, cola drinks, etc.), theophylline (in tea) or and theobromine (in cacao and chocolate) because although they appear to give you a short time energy boost yet it is only a borrowed energy, which means sooner or later you will have to pay for it with the loss of energy. And, as soon as you feel exhausted you it will force you to use stimulants again and again thus causing a vicious circle and addiction. Apart from that stimulants also weaken your immune system and lead to nutritional deficiencies and may contribute to depression and other health problems.
– Drink 3 times a day about 3 glasses of water (distilled or at least filtered) about 30 to 60 minutes before each meal or about 2 hours after. During hot days you need even more. Your urine should be transparent, if it is yellow it means you don’t drink enough water.
– Avoid overeating. In order to reduce appetite: Learn to control stress; Remember to drink 2 glasses of warm water between meals 3 times a day; 30 minutes before each meal drink 1 glass of cold pressed vegetable juice mixed with 1 or 2 teaspoons of spirulina or barley grass powder; Pray before each meal thanking God for the food and asking with faith for His strength to stop eating when you really should; Start each meal consuming big portion of fresh and raw vegetables; Always eat very slowly taking small bites and chewing food to a cream before swallowing. Doing this you will feel satisfied before eating too much.
– Avoid mayonnaise, pickled foods, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, pepper (black or red), cheese, soy sauce, baking soda, baking powder, or refined salt, because they tend to stimulate appetite and irritate the stomach and nervous system.
– Do not keep any junk refined foods at home as the accessibility to junk food encourage people to eat it.
– Fast one day each week from breakfast to breakfast, or skip one or two meals (not breakfast) one day a week as it will allow your digestive organs to rest and improve their functioning.
– Avoid eating fruits and vegetables at the same meal as it may lead to fermentation.
– Include uncooked carrots, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cauliflowers and other vegetables in your diet as they are low in calories, but high in fibre and essential nutrients. In this way your body will stop craving for more food in between meals as it will have enough nutrients. Raw cabbage reduces the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat.
– Sleep 7 to 9 hours each night and if possible go to bed before 10 pm because the more you sleep before midnight the more efficient your rest will be.
– Mix equal amounts of organic chlorella powder and organic barley grass powder. Consume 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture with worm water or a juice about 30 minutes before breakfast. Instead of powder you can have 20 tablets (500mg each) of chlorella or spirulina every day about 30 minutes before breakfast as they are excellent sources of chlorophyll, iron, iodine, EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and trace elements that are often missing in commercially grown foods. Chlorella, spirulina, wheat grass, and barley grass powder, like cold pressed vegetable juices and raw vegetables, should be the most important and always present ingredients of your diet!
– In order to make sure your intake of omega-3 is sufficient, every day consume chlorella tablets, or either one or two tablespoons of soaked chia seeds or ground flax seeds with your meal.
– Take 1,000-2,000mcg of B12 supplement only in the form of methylcobalamin (must be sublingual) every day.
– Remember to expose your body to the sun during summer season between 10am and 2 pm as sun rays transform your body cholesterol into vitamin D which is vital for your health. In addition, take about 5,000 to 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily. According to numerous new studies vitamin D is the strongest immune system booster and almost all people in developed countries are deficient in this vitamin. Remember to take magnesium every day as vitamin D will lead to its deficiency eventually resulting in sleeping problems, and other symptoms!
– Take magnesium of high bioavailability such as magnesium citrate (preferably in powder form as it is free from binders and fillers): 200-400mg about 30 min before breakfast and the same amount about 1 hour before bed. Due to soil depletion and refined diet millions suffer from magnesium deficiency without even knowing it. Magnesium deficiency is often misdiagnosed because it does not show up in blood tests as only 1% of the body’s magnesium is stored in the blood.
– Take a good quality multivitamin-mineral formula such as Healthy Mega (HealthAid), Special Two (NOW Foods), Earth Source (Solgar) or VM-75 (Solgar) – 1 tablet after breakfast or at least B complex (50 to 100mg each): 1 tab or caps after breakfast. Never buy cheap vitamins or popular multivitamin supplements such as Centrum as they are very low in vitamins and minerals and contain only poor quality ingredients. Always compare the ingredients and strength.
– Take about 30-50mg of zinc after breakfast (or 15-30mg if you take multivitamin-mineral formula with zinc).
– If possible try to include some of the most effective natural remedies, herbs, and supplements such as: Alpha-lipoid acid, Acetyl L-carnitine, NAC, Bee pollen, Holy Basil, Alfalfa, Moringa, Centaurium, Charcoal, Green clay, Bee propolis, Cat’s Claw. Pau d’Arco, Omega-3 (must be distilled), Evening primrose oil, Hawthorn, Coenzyme Q10, Rhodiola, MSM (sulphur), Dandelion, Aloe vera, etc.
– As soon as you wake up in the morning, drink 2-3 glasses of water and exercise for at least 30-60 minutes. Brisk walking outside is the best exercise. In order to enable this diet to be more effectively used by your body you need to exercise on a regular basis. If you suffer from different heart conditions you even shouldn’t start with energetic exercise routine. In this case you need to change the diet first, keep in touch with your physician, continue taking your prescribed medication, and after some time start from short distance and slow walking routine, gradually and carefully increasing the pace and distance every day. Fast walking outside is the best type of exercise. If the weather is bad exercise at home. You can use exercise bike, mate, treadmill, Xbox Kinect games, etc. But please remember that aerobic exercises (outside in the open air) are the best. You need a minimum of 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity four to five times a week.
– If you believe in existence of God don’t forget about daily fervent prayers and reading or listening to a good spiritual literature (such as the Bible, Desire of Ages > and “Ministry of Healing” > by Ellen G White available online free of charge) which presents God as loving, healing, forgiving, carrying and saving from eternal death Person. All this will greatly increase the effectiveness of your improved diet and lifestyle: “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1Thessalonians 5:16-18, NIV); “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV). Because from my own experience I know and remember how difficult it was, in my case, to change my eating habits and give up on junk food and stimulants using my own pathetic at that time will power, I recommend to you reading or listening to a book “Steps to Christ” > and Great Controversy > by Ellen White. If you carefully study all the information presented there and follow the steps, you will not only become victorious but will actually experience an inward transformation which will enable you to enjoy your new lifestyle (including diet and physical activity).
– If possible try to practice regular fasting for one up to three days.
– Daily vigorous exercise (especially aerobic) for at least 60 minutes helps overcome addictions and cravings and helps strengthen the effects of treatment. As a result of exercise, endorphins, serotonin, dopamine (increases motivation) and other naturally released happy hormones create a safe and natural high that helps reduce or eliminate craving. Regular exercise also helps reduce irritability associated with cravings during abstinence. Research suggest that adding exercise to addiction treatment strengthens the effects. One study of patients being treated for substance abuse published in Mental Health and Physical Activity revealed that exercise leads to a sense of accomplishment, feeling stronger, and increased confidence in staying sober.
SUPER FOODS, HERBAL REMEDIES, NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
– Addicted to alcohol should be for a long time given very large doses of vitamin B3 (niacin), up to 12 grams per day for a period of two years, slowly and gradually increasing the dose. However, since these are very high doses, previously should be discussed with your doctor if there are any contraindications, such as cirrhosis of the liver, etc. Dr. Hoffer and Dr. Osmond showed that schizophrenia is associated with a deficiency of vitamins and minerals and that it can be treated with healthy plant-based diet and mega doses of supplements. Giving schizophrenics large doses of vitamin B3, C and B6 they found that the therapy was not only very effective in decreasing symptoms of schizophrenia but also many schizophrenics who were addicted to alcohol (20 to 40 % of alcoholics suffer from schizophrenia). Mega doses of vitamins effectively prevented them from attempting to commit suicide. The results of these tests are presented in July 1968 edition of British Journal of Psychiatry. However, since mega doses of vitamin B3 can hot flashes and other symptoms due to the fact that high doses of the vitamin can cause a deficiency of vitamin C it should be always administered with a daily dose of at least 1000 mg of vitamin C. As a result these symptoms should subside.
Alcoholics suffer from increased gastrointestinal permeability which causes a decrease in antioxidant levels. Fortunately, a daily dose of 100mg of vitamin B3 can restore gastrointestinal permeability when combined with a healthy diet and abstinence.
Dr. Abram Hoffer wrote the following words on the effectiveness of vitamin B3 in helping alcoholics: “I met Bill in New York in 1960. I introduced him to the concept of megavitamin therapy. Bill was very curious about it and began to take Niacin, 3000mg daily. Within a few weeks the fatigue and depression that had plagued him for years were gone. He gave it to 30 of his close friends in AA. Of the 30, 10 were free of anxiety, tension and depression in one month. Another 10 were well in two months. Bill then wrote The Vitamin B3 Therapy, and thousands of copies of this extraordinary pamphlet were distributed. As a result, Bill became unpopular with the members of the board of AA International… I found it very useful in treating patients who were both alcoholic and depressed.”
– It is believed that all people today are deficient in magnesium due to the soil depletion and lack of this mineral in food. Unfortunately people who are addicted to alcohol, sugar, chocolate, drugs, smoking, sex, etc. are even more deficient as addictions rob the body of magnesium without which the nervous system can’t function properly. For this reason not only diet should contain foods of higher potential content of this mineral (green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains) but good quality magnesium supplements are necessary. You need to take at least 400mg of magnesium such as magnesium citrate (high bioavailability), preferably with wit. B6 (increases bioavailability of magnesium) or B complex (50-100mg each) in the morning. Another 400mg take before bed but this time without B complex as these vitamins may boost energy too much and prevent you from falling asleep.
– You also need all B vitamins and take 50-100mg of each one of them after breakfast. In addition try to provide your body with vitamins and minerals by consuming unrefined grain products (cereal without sugar, oatmeal, rye, barley, buckwheat, etc.), brown rice (unrefined), legumes (beans, organic soybeans, lentils, peas, and chickpeas), seeds, nuts, fresh fruits and plenty of raw vegetable salads every day.
– It is extremely important to drink enough water, unsweetened herbal teas and fresh raw vegetable juices, because drinking adequate amounts of water will help to quickly detoxify the body from alcohol, nicotine, drugs, sugar, caffeine and any harmful substance that cause addiction. The faster you detoxify your body the better you will feel and the easier it will be to recover from addiction.
– European Wild Ginger (Asarum europaeum) (not related to ginger – a popular spice) is used to treat chronic alcoholism and other substance addictions. The most effective are teas made from the rhizomes (roots) of the herb (supplements are not available due to possible toxicity of the herb). Asarum europaeum, known as wild ginger, asarabacca, hazelwort, and wild spikenard, is a herb that heled may addicts to significantly reduce or even eliminate cravings (especially alcohol, drugs and smoking).
I personally knew individuals who have been effectively discouraged from drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes as a result of regular daily intake of wild ginger teas. I remember a lady who told me that she often added a small amount of a strong wild ginger concoction to her husband’s vodka, and as a result he stopped drinking although he was addicted.
Another person who was addicted to cigarette smoking told me he was able to quit smoking as a result of drinking wild ginger tea. After some time he couldn’t smoke anymore because the tea created aversion to smoking.
The same wild ginger, can be effectively used by individuals who are addicted to drugs and caffeine.
However, if you decide to use this herb you must avoid overdosing it as high doses may lead to toxicity over time. Wild ginger teas are sometimes available in herbal shops in some countries such as Poland but only in the form of leaf and not rhizome. For this reason if you are determined to use it the only way is to try find this herb using its images and botanical descriptions. To make a tea you need to place one tablespoon of cut rhizomes in a large thermos flask, add about one litre of boiling water, close the flask and live it for one hour. Devide the concoction into 3 parts and drink 3 times a day between meals. You can also try adding it to any alcohol used by those who are not willing to quit hoping it may help them overcome the addiction or at least reduce the intake of alcohol.
– Acorus calamus (known as sweet flag or calamus) is another herb that can help overcome addictions, especially smoking. Some individuals maintain they manage to quit smoking by chewing rhizomes of the herb on a regular basis. Unfortunately, chewing the rootstock of the plant can cause visual hallucinations, possibly because of the presence of alpha-asarone or beta-asarone.
– Kudzu root (Pueraria thungbergii) is regarded as absolutely most effective natural and completely harmless remedy to fight various addiction. Kudzu is a popular and well known for its healing properties plant growing mainly in Asian countries. Kudzu rot is a rich source of iron, calcium and phosphorus. In China Kudzu is used to treat flu, fever, diarrhoea, snake and insect bites, nausea, headaches, diabetes, allergies, hypertension, or gastrointestinal problems. Kudzu root, however, is best known for its ability to helping people to overcome addictions to alcohol, drugs or smoking.
A study conducted at Harvard University confirmed that Kudzu can reduce addiction to alcohol by as much as 80 or even 90%! This result was confirmed by experiments on both humans and biochemically alcohol-dependent animals. It has been shown that Kudzu present in a compound that effectively discourages use of alcohol is an isoflavone – daidzein, present also in soybeans.
Kudzu properties were also confirmed in several other well-known universities such as the University of North Carolina. One of the scientists from Harvard University wrote the following statement: “We conducted studies on many different herbs and traditional remedies used in China for centuries to treat alcoholism, but it turned out that most of them could have had only a psychological impact on inducing aversion to alcohol. Most of these remedies have been abandoned because of unsatisfactory results and various side effects. The only remedy that has stood the test of time, and which effectiveness has been confirmed, is Kudzu.”
Both the roots and flowers of Kudzu root (radix Puerariae) have been successfully used to treat alcoholism and alcohol intoxication (hangover) for many centuries. Currently, it is used not only to fight alcoholism, but also to overcome the smoking habit. It is believed that the plant gives similar results, leading to the reduction of dependence within one month. It is also important that, in contrast to the vast majority of other methods ingesting Kudzu gives no side effects. It does not damage the liver, it is not addictive, and does not cause nausea.
The daily dose of Kudzu root in the treatment of addictions is about 20g. Dissolve approximately 5 teaspoons of Kudzu in 50 ml of cold water. Add it to about 150 ml of hot water and stir vigorously. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 3 minutes stirring constantly. Drink it hot or worm once a day for two months.
If you decide to use capsules it must contain standardised extract and not just powder. It must be standardized for the content of active ingredients. Take 2 capsules two times a day with meals.
– Soy lecithin has sedative properties, improves concentration and acts anti, you can take in amounts 3 times a day 1 (1200 mg) caps. After meals.
– Star flower oil (Borage) – highest source of gamma-linolenic acid. It helps boost levels of beneficial prostaglandins, effective in relieving depression.
– After each meal take a supplement containing Milk thistle extract as it will help detoxify and regenerate damaged liver. You can also take Chlorella powder or tablets and Propolis to gain even better results in detoxifying the body and liver.
– In order to reduce cravings you must remove from your body and blood all the traces of addictive substances such as caffeine, alcohol, drugs, nicotine, etc. In order to accomplish this goal you need to induce sweating through regular sauna or prolonged hot baths (or showers), gradually raising the water temperature. You can take the bath approximately two hours after eating. As soon as you feel hot and start sweating you must place very cold compress or ice pack on your forehead and neck. Before and during the treatment you must drink plenty of water or herbal teas such as nettle, Tulsi, lemon balm, chamomile, etc. The treatment is to induce sweating to remove toxic and addictive substances from your blood and liver as it will help to reduce cravings. For instance, if you were addicted to nicotine or caffeine you may wipe the sweat using a piece of white lignin that will be yellow from nicotine present in your sweat. Instead of bath you can also do the hot foot bath >
– All the time you have to control mood, so as not to lead to fainting or fainting. To improve mood, from time to time you can take a cold shower or rub the whole body with a sponge soaked in very cold water. Of course, this type of treatment should be carried out with particular caution in the case of heart patients, hypertension, advanced atherosclerosis or diabetes. Such a hot bath can take up to forty minutes of course if possible, the appropriate mood. It is worth to remember that the above described treatments and skilfully carried out regularly, give excellent results in the treatment of respiratory diseases and cancer and stimulate the immune system.
Please note that people who already regularly applied type stimulants coffee, alcohol and cigarettes, as a result of cessation may experience unpleasant symptoms, such as. Diarrhoea, headaches and weakness. However, these are normal symptoms associated with addiction to the body from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol, and always disappear after some time. In the case of caffeine and nicotine, this period is quite short and lasts for a week or two at most. By contrast, alcohol symptoms associated with the cessation of alcohol use tend to be more severe and last longer. It is of course dependent on the duration of the addiction and the sensitivity of the body. But they do not therefore discouraged, but patiently to survive this period, the more that sooner or later, everything begins to return to normal, and being greatly improved.
An important clue associated with smoking cessation is that heavy smokers a difficult to control habit of reaching for a cigarette. For this reason, it is worth to
In the case of low blood pressure, instead of coffee is preferably used tea or preparations of ginseng root, which are effective to elevate blood pressure, without causing at the same time, unlike coffee, any loss. I know many people who ginseng helped combat the symptoms associated with hypotension. Ginseng should be taken in the morning or at most the afternoon, and avoid taking ginseng in the evening, because it has stimulant properties and some people might have problems falling asleep. Other measures, which in this case are often helpful, vitamin C, vitamin E and pantothenic acid enjoyed after meals and tea with rosemary eaten between meals. However, the best means of pressure control is vigorous exercise.
SPIRITUAL & MORAL EMPOWERMENT
All w / in funds to help in the fight against addictions are very important and should not be neglected, but the most important is the right motivation and the necessary willpower, which is the greatest need of people struggling with their weaknesses. The fact that national treatment programs for alcoholics and other addicts people is based on a spiritual program, best demonstrated by the fact that, according to authorities dealing with this issue cannot fight the addiction without spirituality! However, these methods used in clinics have little relation to the true source of spiritual power, so these programs do not always meet the expectations placed in them. When, however, depends on the person know the true source of power, and begin to draw strength from it, which I do not have, then victory is certain!
People addicted to alcohol, nicotine or other drugs often have very weak willpower and not able on their own to fight the addiction. One man suffering from Buerger’s disease was informed that if they do not stop smoking, doctors are forced to amputate his leg. After a few minutes of silence, during which the man pondered over what to choose, finally he spoke to the doctor and said: Above the knee or below? Another man for the same reason amputated both legs and one arm. Despite this, however, still he smoked cigarettes with one hand, which is still not amputated. When the doctor saw it, irritable walked up to him and said: What are you doing? If you do not immediately throw you this addiction will be forced to cut you also have the hand that you still remain, and if we do, how then will you smoking ?! Then the man said: The nurse will keep me a cigarette in his mouth!
These drastic examples testify how addiction can enslave some people. This does not mean, however, that for those weak-willed and who cannot on their own be freed from addictions there is no hope. I myself am the best example of such a person. For many years I abused alcohol. Heavy or smoked cigarettes for at least 10 years, and in an amount of approx. 1 to 2 packs per day. In the end, this led to the fact that almost constantly ill with chronic bronchitis. When at some point due to the unpleasant experience related to, among other things with these addictions I decided to break up with them, but it turned out that on his own weaknesses these will definitely not be able to overcome. But when one of those losers trying realized his powerlessness, it occurred to me that after all did not lose if you look for some source of power which he did not possess, and which was necessary so that I could be free of addictions. And although even then I was not sure as to whether there is someone like God, it’s the first time in his life, praying earnestly in his own words earnestly begged Him for the strength required to overcome their weaknesses and bad habits. They are fully aware of his powerlessness and the dramatic situation in which I found myself in tears asking for a miracle. And then for the first time in my life I felt like descended on me inner peace, as if someone wanted to give me to understand that help is on the way. I felt then that finally found the key to victory. Shortly thereafter, I received a book after reading that I realized that, however, is someone who loves, cares, can do everything and wants to help, but cannot do so until I will not give him his life. When I realized this I started to increasingly look to the Bible and to pray in their own words. Thanks won required to overcome addictions got the power and lasting victory over them. Since then, over a period of almost 20 years not a single lit cigarette, never once have I been any abuse of alcohol. It is important in all this, and also that, with the exception of the first few weeks, throughout this long period of abstinence, never suffered from the absence of these drugs and I never had to do not even want to. When a man begins to live with God and subjected him his life, believing in Christ and asking for the promised power when the Holy Spirit takes control of his mind, so that life is filled with true happiness and inner peace and the avoidance of drugs and everything that harms free from suffering, it gives satisfaction and brings joy. Thus, the key to victory in my case was that I realized his helplessness and realized that he was not able to break free from addictions. I got the victory only when for the power to overcome these addictions began to ask God. And although victory is not became my share right away, though struggling with addictions lost many battles, this whole war – thanks to the power of God – in the end I won. Note however that is not always success comes immediately, but even if this final victory you have to wait a little, then surely it will, as long as a person seeking refuge with God will be patient and not give up prayers. Jesus Christ said: “ask once and it shall be given unto you,” but suggested patience and perseverance in prayer, and then the victory will surely be achieved, and that no matter how poor is the person who tries to break free from addiction.
This, as much importance in the fight against addiction should play spirituality and close to God, may provide statements of various authorities. One of them is, for example. Professor John Scharffenberg from Loma Linda University in California, who explains that “The National Health Service in the United States conducted a study among people who have tried to quit smoking. As a result of these studies we found that when a person decides to quit the habit because of religious beliefs or moral, in principle, success is sure! The two-year study, which was carried on, have led scientists to the conclusion that the moral reasons for quitting turned out to be an excellent harbinger of the final abstinence. “This means that if we want to overcome any addiction, which on its own can no longer cope, the only way out is perseverance and faith to ask God for strength and carefully read His Word, because these are two reliable and appointed by God means, through which a person can derive necessary to free themselves from the various weaknesses of power. All the people who recognize their powerlessness and will steadfastly and earnestly ask for help, Jesus Christ offers many wonderful promises. Here are some of them: “Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28); “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock and the door will be opened. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Is there among you a man who, if his son ask bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him “(Matt. 7: 7-11); “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. If you love me, keep my commandments “(John 14: 13-15); “Therefore I tell you, whatever you pray and ask, but believe that you receive, and meet to you” (Mark 11:24); “If ye continue in my word, truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth shall make you free” (Matt. John 8, 31-32). Through these reliable promises, loving God assures us that if we regularly and prayerfully last we will be praying and studying the Word of God, then we will be “set free”, which means that we will be free from sin, and including the various addictions that destroy our bodies which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
His time in Gdansk, I met a man in middle age, who was an alcoholic. For many years, the man got drunk every day and even several times in one day, drinking is not just vodka and cheap wine, but even perfumes and denaturant. In total, alone rehabilitation facilities for alcoholics spent up to five years. This treatment, however, never seemed to test the more that these centres also drank alcohol, only in slightly smaller quantities. But when I spoke with this man, I noticed that he was completely sober and did not look like an alcoholic. It turned out that already for more than a year did not drink any amount of alcohol and even stopped smoking cigarettes. When I asked him as possible, and how did this miracle, he explained to me that a year earlier participated in Bible lectures conducted in Gdansk by Pastor Mark Finley from the United States. Thanks to understand what human life should be the highest value. He began to learn the Word of God, talk to God with a sincere, effusive prayers and addictions are gone!
I once heard of a man by the name of Robert Ingersol. He grew up in a Christian home and his father was a preacher. When he was still a child often heard his father preached about how God will punish and burned sinners in hell forever. He thought then that if God takes delight in the endless bullying the sinful people, in that case this God is no different from Nero or Hitler. It is even worse, because they were killing people just for some time and God has to do it for all eternity? So this distorted, false picture of God’s character and misunderstanding of what is symbolized in the Bible hell, meant that as a young man stopped believing in the existence of God and became an atheist. And when he was a prominent lawyer, he went from town to town, teaching the public that there is no God and that the Bible is merely a book and is in addition full of lies. Until one day he came to the city in which he lived his best friend from the days when they were still students. But before he left, to teach against God and the Bible, he was handed a letter from his friend. So he opened the envelope and began to read these words: “Dear Robert. Do you remember how we studied together right? Do you remember how we held in common practice? Unfortunately, soon after mental pressures associated with the exercise of this profession has become too great for me. I struggled with this as long as I could, and finally could not stand it and began to drink. I drank more and more until I lost all the money. She left my wife and family. I lost the opportunity to practice their profession. My whole life – Robert – has become one big mess. Soon after, I had to leave even their own apartment and spent many nights sleeping under the open sky. But one night, Robert … It was a very cold night. My whole body trembled with cold. When I was lying drunk on the street, I noticed a man. He came to me. He raised me. He took his arm, brought him to his house and took care of me. The Christian Robert, the Christian, every day I read the Bible, so that I could know Christ, who loves me and died for me and forgave me everything! The Christian daily read the Bible to me, by which I could know Christ, who gave me the power to change my life! Today, Robert, today I am a different man. My wife and family are with me again. Again, I can do the work in their profession. You cannot, Robert, you cannot teach against Christ, who saved the life of your old friend! You cannot preach against the Bible, which changed the lives of your friend! In this city, Robert, in the city tell the people that the Bible will change their lives. Tell them that Christ died for them and forgive them everything. Tell them that God loves them and change their fate, if you ask him here and would give him my heart. ”
All over the world there are millions of people who could tell how great changes have taken place in their lives due to the fact that they let God take the initiative in their hands and lay hold of His great promises contained in Scripture: “Fear not, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God! I will strengthen you and give you assistance “(Isaiah 41:10); “I know how to cut, I can also live in abundance … I can do all who strengthens me in Christ” (Phil. 4, 12. 13).
A preacher and revivalist by the name Charles G. Finney once told a story that happened in Detroit, Michigan. One night as he started to walk into church a man came up to him and asked, “Are you Mr. Finney?”
“I wonder if you would do me a favour. When you get through tonight, will you come home with me and talk to me about my soul?”
“Gladly. You wait for me.” Finney walked inside, and some of the men stopped him.
“What did the man want, Brother Finney?”
“He wanted me to go home with him.”
“Don’t do it.”
“I am sorry, but I promised, and I shall go with him.”
When the service was over, Finney and the man walked three blocks, turned into a side street, went down an alley, and stopped in front of a door. The man unlocked it and said, “Come in.” Mr. Finney walked into the room. The man locked the door, reached into his pocket, pulled out a revolver, and held it in his hand. “I don’t intend to do you any harm,” he said. “I just want to ask you a few questions. Did you mean what you said in your sermon last night?”
“What did I say? I have forgotten.”
“You said, ‘The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.’ ”
Finney said, “Yes, God says so.”
The man said, “Brother Finney, you see this revolver? It is mine. It has killed four people. Two of them were killed by me, two of them by my bartender in a brawl in my saloon. Is there hope for a man like me?”
Finney said, “The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.”
The man said, “Brother Finney, another question. In the back of this partition is a saloon. I own it, everything in it. We sell every kind of liquor to anybody who comes along. Many, many times I have taken the last penny out of a man’s pocket, letting his wife and children go hungry. Many times women have brought their babies here and pled with me not to sell any more booze to their husbands, but I have driven them out and kept right on with the whiskey selling. Is there hope for a man like me?”
Finney said, “God says, ‘The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.”‘
“Another question, Brother Finney. In the back of this other partition is a gambling joint, and it is as crooked as sin and Satan. There isn’t a decent wheel in the whole place. It is all loaded and crooked. A man leaves the saloon with some money left in his pocket, and we take his money away from him in there. Men have gone out of that gambling place to commit suicide when their money, and perhaps entrusted funds, were all gone. Is there any hope for a man like me?”
Finney said, “God says, ‘The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.’ ”
“One more question, and I will let you go. When you walk out of this alley, if you turn to the right, you’ll see a brown stone house. It is my home. I own it. My wife is there, and my eleven year-old child, Margaret. Thirteen years ago I went to New York on business. I met a beautiful girl. I lied to her. I told her I was a stockbroker, and she married me. I brought her here, and when she found out my business, it broke her heart. I have made life a hell on earth for her. I have come home drunk, beaten her, abused her, locked her out, made her life more miserable than that of any brute beast. About a month ago I went home one night drunk, mean, miserable. My wife got in the way somehow, and I started beating her. My daughter threw herself between us. I slapped that girl across the face and knocked her against a red-hot stove. Her arm is burned from shoulder to wrist. It will never look like anything decent. Brother Finney, is there hope for a man like me?”
Finney got hold of the man’s shoulders, shook him, and said: “Oh, son, what a black story you have to tell! But God says, “The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.’ ”
The man said, “Thank you, thank you very much. Pray for me. I am coming to church tomorrow night.”
Finney went about his business. The next morning, about seven o’clock, the saloon man started across the street out of his office. His necktie was awry. His face was dusty and sweaty and tear-stained. He was shaking and rocking as though he were drunk. But, let us go back and take a look at his saloon. He had taken the swivel chair and smashed the mirror, the fireplace, the desk, and the other chairs. He had smashed the partition on each side. Every bottle and barrel and bar mirror in the saloon was shattered and broken up. The sawdust was swimming ankle deep in a terrible mixture of beer, gin, whiskey, and wine. In the gambling establishment the tables were smashed; the dice and cards in the fireplace, smouldering.
The man staggered across the street, walked up the stairs of his home, and sat down heavily in the chair in his room. His wife called to her little girl, “Maggie, run upstairs and tell Daddy breakfast is ready.” The girl walked slowly up the stairs. Half afraid, she stood in the door and said, “Daddy, Mamma said to come down; breakfast is ready.”
“Maggie, darling, Daddy doesn’t want any breakfast.”
The little girl didn’t walk; she just flew down the stairs. “Mamma, Daddy said, ‘Maggie, darling,’ and he didn’t -.”
“Maggie, you didn’t understand. You go back upstairs and tell Daddy to come down.” Maggie went back upstairs with her mother following her. The man looked up as he heard the child’s step, spread his knees out, and said, “Maggie, come here.”
Shy, frightened, trembling, the little girl walked up to him. He lifted her, put her on his knee, pressed his face against her and wept. His wife, standing in the door, didn’t understand what had happened. After a while he noticed her and said, “Wife, come here.”
He put her on his other knee, and threw his big man’s arms around the two whom he loved, whom he had so fearfully abused. He lowered his face between them and sobbed until the room almost shook with the impact of his emotion.
After some minutes he controlled himself, looked up into the faces of his wife and girl, and said, “Wife, daughter, you needn’t be afraid of me anymore. God has brought you home a new man, a new daddy, today.
That same night the man, his wife, and their child walked down the aisle of the church, gave their hearts to Christ. In fact, there is no sin, addiction, or weakness, of which we could not get free. There is only one basic condition that must be met in order to achieve complete victory. Every morning and evening, you should devote some time to:
Daily prayers, during which you should thank for everything and in faith ask for the power.
Reading the Word of God, starting with the four gospels that simple words describe how miraculously the Son of God was released from various diseases, sins, and even the death of all those who came to Him.
Although the victory does not always come immediately, anyone with faith meets these conditions, sooner or later, will say with the Apostle Paul, “I can do everything through him who strengthens me in Christ.” It will be so, because, as the same apostle wrote, “The word of God is living and active” (Heb. 4:12). Such a man will be victorious, because Jesus Christ said, “is given unto me all power in heaven and on earth” (Matt. 28:18), and in another place he adds: “The one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out” (John 6:37). Free and addictions can with loving our God to go forward through life without fear of evil, sickness or death, because even if our temporal life threaten some danger, it remains a belief that is still to come second, a wonderful life in the land of eternal happiness and youth, life without tears, suffering and disease, where in the words of the song “like the birds will fly and the taste of freedom we possess, which no one knows on earth.”
So, there is no doubt that the dependent person could actually regain freedom and permanently break free from addictions, it cannot rely on the use of a healthy diet, a variety of natural remedies, hydrotherapy and exercise. Lasting cure can only take place when all these important elements of treatment will work together with the most important and so often overlooked factor, which is the inner transformation, which is the Word of God is defined as “new birth” or being born of the Holy Spirit. The great Russian writer – Leo Tolstoy, in the following manner described his experience of the new birth (conversion): “When five years ago believed in the teachings of Jesus, my life suddenly changed. I stopped wanting what you previously wanted, and on the other hand, I began to want what you’ve never wanted. What previously seemed to be good, now I saw as evil, and what seemed bad, it turned out good. “Anyone who accepts God’s offer of salvation through faith in Christ, can become a different person. When reading contained in the Scriptures Holy promises that encourage the recognition of Jesus his Saviour, sincerely and strongly believe in prayer says: “Jesus Christ is my Saviour and him giving up his life, mind and body,” then according to those in the Bible, God promises the body of a man is from that moment the temple of the Holy Spirit, who gives him new desires, proper motivation and strength to ensure that those desires to pursue. This does not mean, however, that such a person immediately and completely getting rid of the bad old desires and habits that developed after for almost his entire life so far. But now, living in the Holy Spirit gives him the power necessary for this to be able to break free from addictions, anger, hatred, profanity, adultery, lies, depression, anxiety and all that, where previously not been able to get rid of their own forces.
The real new birth can be shared with a man only through the knowledge and acceptance of the truth revealed in the Bible, God’s promises and His love. In the event of any addiction, treatment should be based on a combination of truth and scientifically proven facts and a healthy lifestyle with the Gospel, which is “the power of God” (Rzym.3.16) and authentic love, which according to what the Apostle Paul wrote, “surpasses all knowledge “(Efez.3 19). But if someone still believes that, in his case, release from addictions is not possible, it is because it takes into account only their own capabilities, and omits the unlimited power of God’s true love, which is today the greatest need of all people.
In the Bible there are many such promises that say about how enslaved different habits a person can regain freedom: The only effective method of ensuring the solution to this problem is contained in the words of Jesus Christ: “If ye continue in my word, truly my disciples and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free “(John 8:31). Persevering, backed by sincere faith and prayer, reading the Word of God always leads to “know the truth”. Understanding and acceptance of the truth of what the sacred history of his life and death of the Son of God made for every sinful man make, it will be “emancipated”, among others, from sin, including from various addictions and all, so destroying their own health. These inspired and most trustworthy words, testify to the fact that real freedom and genuine joy, inner peace and real security can only be found in God, daily entrusting Him in prayer their lives, trusting Him better and better recognizing him through systematic reading Scripture and firmly believing in His Son, and accepting Him as your Saviour, who on our behalf defeated sin and death. Coming to Christ in prayer, with a contrite heart, always receive from Him, forgiveness, peace and strength to be able to follow in his footsteps and overcome bad habits and weaknesses, which we had not been able to overcome on their own.
All of this extraordinary process of conversion, from the recognition of their powerlessness to God’s power made the inner metamorphosis, in a wonderful way shows popular in Christian circles book “The Way to Christ”:
“You are morally weak and controlled by the habits of your life. Your terms are like a whip out of the sand. However, you need not despair. You cannot change your heart, but you can surrender your will to God, and then He will work in you. By constantly returning to God you will be able to live a new life. In this way, your whole nature will be subject to the control of the Spirit of Christ. The desires of good and holiness are right, but when we stop just for them, they become worthless. Many people will die forever though they hope and the desire to become Christians. They not made a final choice, to submit their will to God. Proper exercise will can be a complete change in your life. By subjecting your will to Christ you are connecting to a power superior to all powers. You get the strength from on high, to stand firm. By constantly returning to God will be able to live a new life … Need heavenly peace, forgiveness, peace of mind and love. Do not buy it for the money, not earn reason, will not get wisdom, and there is no hope for you to your own efforts ensured it yourself. And God offers us as a gift, without money and without price (Isa. 55.1). They will become your participation if you just reach out and pick it up. Come and let us reason together! – Says the Lord – Though your sins be as scarlet, as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool (Isa. 1:18). I will give you a new heart and a new spirit breathed into you (Ezek. 36.26). You confessed their sins and wholeheartedly rejected them. You decided to devote themselves to God and now you come to Him and ask to wash away your sins and renew your heart. Then believe that God will do it, because it promised. Taught by Jesus when he was here on earth. If we believe, a gift of God promised will become our property. We cannot express genuine sorrow for past sins or a change of heart and become saints. But God promises to do all this for us by Christ. Believe this promise. Confess your sins and give yourself to God. Decide to serve Him. And once we do that, God will fulfil His word to us. If you believe the promise, and believe that it happened fait accompli thanks to God, then Jesus will heal us as healed the paralytic. Let us not wait until we will feel the healing, but say: I believe not because I feel healed, but because God has promised. Jesus said: All I ask for in prayer, it will be you, just believe that you receive (Mark 11.24). This promise will be fulfilled only under the condition that we ask according to His will. And Allah wants to cleanse us from sin, to make their children and to adopt a holy life. About these blessings so we can ask and believe that we receive them. At the same time advance thank God that they have received. It is our privilege that we can come to Jesus and be cleansed. Then we can stand before the law without shame and remorse. Now, however, for those who are in Christ Jesus there is no condemnation (Rom. 8.1) … There are those who have known the pardoning love of Christ and sincerely desire to be children of God, but I figured out that their characters are imperfect and full of life errors, and they are ready to doubt that their hearts have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. You can again sink into despair. Often, because of our imperfections and mistakes we must bend his forehead and crying at the feet of Christ. We should, however, never discouraged. Even if the enemy managed to temporarily beat us, we are not God rejected and forgotten. No, Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father, to make intercession for us. He writes about the beloved disciple of Jesus: My children, I write this to you so that you may not sin. But if any man sin, we have an advocate the Father – Jesus Christ the righteous (I John 2.1) … Let your first thought every morning is dedication to God. Let your prayer be: Accept me, O Lord, on the property. I give all my plans at your feet. Use me today for his service. Stay with me and let me your power to perform my duties. Let this be our daily activity. Take to the Lord every morning anew. He entrust all your plans, so that they can be completed or abandoned by His indicating Providence. So you can every day to entrust their lives in God’s hands, and it will be from one day to more reflect the life of Jesus … take on humanity, Jesus tied together mankind so tight bond of love that no force cannot solve it, only a man of his own selection. Satan is constantly urging us to break this relationship, to break away from Christ. That’s why we have to constantly watch, pray, struggle to nothing tempted us to give ourselves to another master. Always there, we can do it. Let us focus our gaze on Christ, and He will save us. Looking at Jesus, we’re safe. Nothing can snatch us out of His hands. By constantly staring at him through the Spirit of the Lord, more and more shining, we conformed to His image (II Cor. 3:18) “(E. White, Steps to Christ).
To get rid of bad habits, addictions, as well as to obtain forgiveness and peace of mind, just in prayer come to the Saviour, firmly trusting the promises contained in His Word: “And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up; if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven “(Jas. 5:15); “Indeed, mortar, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life” (John 5:24).
Reading of Scripture is best to start from knowing the content of the four gospels, paying particular attention to the revealed in the life and death of Christ extraordinary love of God to sinful man, and descriptions made by his healings. In this way, in the mind of the patient it gives birth to the conviction of the existence of someone who loves, cares and is able to deliver us from every weakness and disease. Also, the ratio of such a man to death will then be perfectly harmonize with the words of Ap. Paul: “For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21). The fruit of the establishment of such a close relationship with the Saviour will all these priceless values that without Christ no one is able to get, and the possession of which constitutes one of the essential and most important conditions for guaranteeing the return to health. For this reason, modern medicine increasingly recognizes the close relationship between the spiritual condition of man and his physical and mental health aspect. According to a popular magazine Rider’s Digest, “religion and medicine are inseparable … The results of scientific research confirming the relationship of faith to health makes a sceptical medical community is slowly beginning to return to the sources” ( “Rider’s Digest”, September 2001, p. 63).