Written by Slawomir Gromadzki, MPH
Common flu is a very common problem indeed. In 2016, there were over twenty million users of cold and flu remedies in the UK.
WHAT IS FLU
Common flu is a viral infectious disease of the upper respiratory tract affecting throat, nose, and sinuses.
Many viral strains are involved in the cause of the common flu.
Runny nose, muscle or body aches, cough, headache, fever, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc.
Poor hygiene, winter, and especially weak immunity caused by deficiency of vit. D, C, zinc, antioxidants, refined diet high in sugar and white flour products, cheese, pizza, stimulants, lack of sleep, psychological stress, sedentary lifestyle, hypoxia (lack of oxygen in the body).
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COLD & FLU
Cold and flu are caused by different viral strains. People with influenza often show similar symptoms but usually more severe. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose and usually do not have fever. Flu is usually much more serious than a cold.
PREVENTION & TREATMENT
– Vaccination has proved to cause side effects and increase risk of severe allergic reactions, and even autoimmune diseases, autism and other health serious problems. Vaccines can often contain dangerous chemicals and preservatives. In addition, it is very difficult to creat a really effective vaccine as there are many strains of viruses involved and they also mutate rapidly.
– Antibiotics should not be used for cold and flu as they are not effective against viral infections.
– Most important aspect of the treatment is lifestyle and diet according to the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN as in this way you will deal with the causes of the problem.
HERBAL & NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
– Cold-pressed organic Black Seed Oil (Nigella sativa): 1 teaspoon 3 times a day with meals (or mix with an equal amount of bee pollen and take 3 x 2 teaspoons daily). Studies demonstrated its most potent antiviral properties against flu viruses, coronavirus (including covid-19), and HIV (which use the same pathways as coronavirus).
– Colloidal silver >. According to Dr. Martin Hum, from the Institute for Optimum Nutrition, colloidal silver is one of the most effective and quickest natural remedies to stop viruses. It can be used as an anti-viral remedy for pneumonia, flu and cold, HIV/AIDS, herpes, shingles or warts. Colloidal silver has shown its ability to suffocate viruses and significantly weaken even the very stubborn HIV virus and its activity. There are also numerous testimonials written by individuals claiming colloidal silver’s effectiveness against the hepatitis C virus.
In one study researchers took 100 children (under the age of 12) with common cold and nasal congestion. Half of them were treated with a solution of colloidal silver and beta glucan, and the second half with saline solution. As a result both groups benefited from the treatments, but 90% of the colloidal silver group completely recovered! Colloidal silver spray or liquid can be applied directly into the throat and nasal cavity to effectively treat sinusitis and sore throat.
– Vitamin C: Being an antioxidant Vitamin C helps maintain strong immune system by protecting it against oxidative damage caused by free radicals: “Vitamin C is known as an essential anti-oxidant and enzymatic co-factor for hormone production, collagen synthesis and immune potentiation.”
According to Linus Pauling, “Effectiveness of ascorbic acid in providing protection against viral diseases results from its function in the synthesis and activity of interferon in preventing the entry of virus particles into the cells… For many people 1000 mg to 2000 mg of Vitamin C per day is the optimum rate of ingestion.“
A 2013 research maintains that, “Vitamin C Is an Essential Factor on the Anti-viral Immune Responses through the Production of Interferon-α/β at the Initial Stage of Influenza Virus Infection.”
To prevent flu and reduce its symptoms, apart from vitamin C, also zinc and vitamin D3 are recommended for better results.
– Zinc keeps the immune system in check; Inhibits influenza & cold viruses; Taking Zinc at the start of a cold or flu helps minimise duration and severity of symptoms. In 2014 meta-analysis of 67 studies researchers have found that zinc is the best supplement for warding off colds and flu! According to the 2013 study, “Zinc (lozenges) administered within 24 hours of onset of symptoms reduces the duration of symptoms.”
– Quercetin (500mg-1000mg twice daily) helps to increase the intracellular concentrations of zinc by transporting it through the cell membrane. The major benefit of taking Quercetin with Zinc is that the quercetin will push the zinc into the center of the cell where the zinc can stop the virus from reproducing. A combination of Zinc with Quercetin has been found to be one of the most effective treatments against covid. “Antiviral Effects of Quercetin through Zinc Ionophore (ion carrier) Activity” (>). Quercetin is an increasingly well-known plant compound with potent anti-inflammatory effects. The SARS-CoV-2 outbreak resulted in renewed research efforts focusing on its effects as a zinc-ionophore, increasing intracellular zinc concentrations and thus Quercetin working as an antiviral. Preliminary studies in South Korea and China have pointed to Quercetin’s potential for inhibiting viral replication of SARS-CoV-2. In a 2014 publication, researchers demonstrated clearly that quercetin and a similar polyphenol (epigallocatechin-gallate) were capable of rapidly increasing zinc concentrations in Hepa 1-6 cells and liposomes. The mechanism of action was found to be independent of plasma membrane zinc transporters [>]. A 2016 study examined fourteen polyphenols – including Quercetin – and their capacity to form complexes with zinc cations. The results confirmed that polyphenols have the capacity to transport zinc across a variety of lipid membranes [>].
– Vitamin D3: Recently researchers investigated and compared data from 25 studies on vitamin D that involved 10,000 people to explore the effect of vitamin D in preventing cold, flu, bronchitis and pneumonia. Their conclusion suggests vitamin D supplementation was very beneficial in preventing respiratory tract infections. According to the NHS new guidelines on vitamin D, everyone should consider taking vitamin D supplements during the winter months: “…The advice is to consider taking vitamin D supplements because it is difficult to get enough from food alone.”
– Bee Propolis has been shown to be effective against bacterial and viral infections (including cold & flu virus); It’s also been used to enhance the immune system pathogen-fighting capabilities. Taking propolis by participants suffering from cold resulted in 2.5 faster recovery, when propolis was used in the initial stage of the disease. A 2002 research demonstrated that, “Bee propolis can prevent viral replication within the cells and reduces viral activity.” Also according to the 2004 research, “Propolis increased the number of lymphocytes and antibodies in response to viral infection.” In addition, “The vaccine in combination with propolis boosts immune defences stronger than the vaccine alone.”
– Rutin: Contains anti-inflammatory properties; Useful in alleviating the symptoms of respiratory infections such as runny nose.
– Quercetin: Helps protect against influenza virus as it has been known to have antiviral benefits; Helps reduce inflammation and symptoms cold & flu.
– Maitake mushroom powder: A potent immune stimulant. According to a 2014 trial, “Immunomodulating glucans from Maitake and Shiitake mushrooms strongly stimulated both the cellular and humoral branch of immune reactions.”
– Astragalus extract: Effective energy and immune system booster. A 2012 study displayed its ability to control T-helper cells 1 and 2, essentially regulating the body’s immune responses. As a result of taking astragalus extract the macrophages and the natural killer cells of the immune system have a markedly enhanced ability to fight intruders (five- to six-fold!).
According to Dr. Randy Horwitz, Medical Director at the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, “Astragalus has been found to have both antiviral and immune-enhancing properties. Research shows that the 50 or so different compounds in astragalus work by stimulating immune cells, such as T-cells, phagocytes, and macrophages, to fight off disease. In Asia, it’s even given to cancer patients.”
– Echinacea: “Largest ever clinical study into Echinacea finds herbal remedy CAN protect against flu and colds… In majority of participants the recurring infections were cut by 60%… The duration of the illness suffered by patients also went down by an average of 26%… Researchers also found that Echinacea caused no adverse side effects in the participants.” Also a 2000 meta-analysis based on sixteen trials revealed that the majority of studies reported positive results for echinacea in the prevention and reduction of symptoms of the flu.
– Garlic: Studies have demonstrated that garlic helps reduce the risk of flu or clods and may reduce the severity of symptoms. One study gave 146 volunteers either garlic supplements or a placebo for three months. The garlic group had a 63% lower risk of getting a cold, and their colds were also 70% shorter. Another study also concluded that colds were on average 60% shorter for subjects on garlic, compared to a placebo group. Their colds were also less severe.
Fever (high body temperature) – Normal body temperature range is between 97.5°F (36.4°C) and 99.5°F (37.5°C). Temperature above 100.4°F (38°C) is usually regarded as a sign of a fever. A fever of about 101°F (39°C) is considered mild and usually doesn’t require medication.
CAUSES: Fever is usually a symptom of an underlying condition, including viral and other infections, inflammatory conditions, allergic reactions, some tumours, etc.
IS FEVER GOOD OR BAD: Fevers are generally beneficial and can be considered a sign that your immune system is working properly. A fever is usually triggered by the body to stimulate immune system and weaken viruses, bacteria or cancer cells.
AVOID DEHYDRATION: However, when body temperature gets too high it can be dangerous as it leads to dehydration. For this reason you must drink plenty of water and herbal teas, raw vegetable juices, etc. Make sure your urine is transparent. If it is yellow it means you must drink more water. During fever you need at least 3 or more litres of water daily, depending on body temperature, the amount of water you loose, your diet (fruits and veggies are high in water). Don’t give a child too much fruit juices as they contain sugar, but rather dilute them with water.
REMEDIES: Remedies depend on the cause of the fever. Just try to find here the condition that causes fever and use recommended remedies.
HERBS (helping lower excessive body temperature): Most important is
Also Ginger (Zingiber officinale) root is a useful herbal diaphoretic (promotes perspiration) commonly used as a natural remedy for fever. It combines well with listed above herbs that are useful for treating fever.
Remember, the more you sweat the more water you must drink.
NUTRITIONAL AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
– Don’t use stimulants such as caffeine products or alcohol.
– Learn to control stress and always think positive! Never think negative and get rid of anxiety and fear as all negative feelings have very bad effect on immune system and increase chances of developing diseases triggered by viral infections! In the beautiful book „Ministry of Healing” Ellen G. White wrote that, “The sick, shut within four walls, look out on houses and pavements, with perhaps not even a glimpse of blue sky or sunshine, of grass or flower or tree. Shut up in this way, they brood over their suffering and sorrow, and become a prey to their own sad thoughts. The pure air, the glad sunshine, the flowers and trees, and outdoor exercise amid these surroundings, are health- and life-giving. Outdoor life is the only remedy that many need. It has a wonderful power to heal diseases caused by the excitements and excesses of fashionable life, a life that weakens and destroys the powers of body, mind, and soul. How glad would they be to sit in the open air, rejoice in the sunshine, and breathe the fragrance of tree and flower! There are life-giving properties in the balsam of the pine, in the fragrance of the cedar and the fir, and other trees also have properties that are health restoring. In nature may always be found something to divert the attention of the sick from themselves and direct their thoughts to God. The beauty of nature leads them to think of the heavenly home, where there will be nothing to mar the loveliness, nothing to taint or destroy, nothing to cause disease or death.”
– Increase Serotonin! We know that serotonin is very important in fighting depression, fatigue, or insomnia. Serotonin is the “feel good” hormone and neurotransmitter which helps us regulate moods and use good judgement. Unfortunately, the older we get the less serotonin we tend to produce. Dr. Carolyn Meltzer’s research has demonstrated that with age serotonin receptors decrease by over 50%. People who struggle with overweight, obesity, and depression, those who commit serious crime as well as people who commit suicide have very low level of this extremely important hormone. Unfortunately, if you don’t have enough of serotonin or when the number of serotonin receptors is low then it leads to depression. Serotonin deficiency can be caused by sedentary lifestyle (lack of physical activity), insufficient light during the day, refined and low in nutrients diet, use of stimulants (alcohol, nicotine, coffee, tea, cola drinks, chocolate and other caffeine products), or insufficient amount of sleep.
– Exercise in the morning outside to boost serotonin!
– Increase consumption of foods high in Tryptophan (to boost serotonin): 5-HTP, cooked organic soy beans, organic Tofu, beans, lentils, ground sesame, tahini, humus, etc.
– Light therapy. Expose your body to sunlight whenever it is possible or use strong light imitating sunlight.
– Every day in the morning and evening you must take alternative hot and cold showers as it is one of the best ways to boost your immunity and weaken any virus. In addition it will improve circulation, elimination of toxins and will stimulate the nervous system. Start with hot shower, and after about 5 minutes when your body is warm enough take a short (3 min) cold shower slowly reducing the temperature. Then alternate the flow of water from hot to cold, back and forth 5-7 times in a row. Before using this treatment consult your physician first if you have any chronic health conditions especially if they are associated with heart. Find out more about HYDROTHERAPY >
– Go to sleep as early as possible. Try to sleep at least seven or eight hours a day.
– Avoid foods with refined sugar as it makes leukocytes behave like drunken soldiers. Also white flour products weaken immune system because they are quickly converted to sugar. Instead of sugar and other harmful sweeteners you can use xylitol, erythritol, stevia or organic raw honey in moderation.
– Avoid eating foods rich in refined sugar and other refined carbohydrates such as white flour products (body turn white flour into blood sugar).
– Avoid all artificial sweeteners! Artificial sweeteners can usually be identified by many different names such as sucralose, saccharin, or aspartame (Splenda, Equal, Sweet n Low). There are almost a hundred side effects listed by the FDA, including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, memory loss, nerve cell damage, Alzheimer’s, migraines, reproductive disorders, brain lesions, weight gain, food cravings, seizures and more.”
– Avoid high glucose/fructose syrup (HFCS).
– Avoid monosodium glutamate (MSG).
– Do not consume Agave syrup since as it is almost all fructose. Your blood sugar will spike just as it would if you were consuming regular sugar or HFCS. Agave’s rise in popularity is due to a great marketing campaign, but any health benefits present in the original agave plant are processed out.
– Switch to a well-balanced plant-based and unrefined diet with planty of raw vegetable juices and raw vegetable salads.
– The only oil to use is raw organic coconut oil as it can kill virus and bacteria.
– Avoid or significantly reduce consumption of cheese, pizzam meat, bad fats & dairy. They weaken immune system and are mucus producing making symptoms worse.
– BRONCHITIS, SINUSITIS, COLD, FLU, PNEUMONIA
– Dr. Sang Lee – Exceptionally interesting lecture on AIDS and homosexuality (audio)
– Super Immunity by Joel Fuhrman MD (2011): What to eat and foods to avoid
– Read also: DEPRESSION & SEROTONIN >
– Linus Pauling, Vitamin C and the Common Cold, p. 38, 84
– Yejin Kim, Hyemin Kim, Seyeon Bae, et al (2013) Immune Netw. 2013 Apr; 13(2): 70–74
– The Telegraph, G. Michael Allan, MD and Bruce Arroll, MB ChB PhD (2014) Prevention and treatment of the common cold: making sense of the evidence. 28 Jan 2014 CMAJ. 2014 Feb 18
– Singh M1, Das RR (2013) Zinc for the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Jun 18;(6)
– V Vetvicka, J Vetvickova (2014) Immune-enhancing effects of Maitake.
– Propolis: Otolaryngologia Polska 1989;43(3):180-4.
– Propolis: Isr Med Assoc J 2002 Nov;4(11 Suppl):923-7.
– Propolis: Int Immunopharmacol. 2004 Jul;4(7):975-82.
– Propolis: Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2007 Mar 15;116(1-2):79-84.
– Echinacea: Daily Mail 10/10/2012
– Melchart D, Linde K, Fischer P (2000) Echinacea for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD000530.
– Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMJ 2017; 356 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6583 (Published 15 February 2017): http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i658
– NHS: The new guidelines on vitamin D – what you need to know, Thursday July 21 2016: https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/the-new-guidelines-on-vitamin-d-what-you-need-to-know/
– Nantz MP1, Rowe CA, Muller CE, Creasy RA, Stanilka JM, Percival SS. (2016). Supplementation with aged garlic extract improves both NK and γδ-T cell function and reduces the severity of cold and flu symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled nutrition intervention. Clin Nutr. 2012 Jun;31(3):337-44. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2011.11.019. Epub 2012 Jan 24.
– Josling P1. (2001). Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement: a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey. Adv Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;18(4):189-93.
– Astragalus: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/the-cold-remedy-that-actually-works-20160316
Share this website to bring relief to the suffering!
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved