BULGING DISC, HERNIATED DISC, SLIPPED DISC,
RUPTURED DISC, BACK PAIN, SCIATICA
Written by Slawomir Gromadzki, MPH
Bulging disc is a condition which I am familiar with from my own experience as for a long time it had been causing my back aches. Sometimes it was so bad that I was unable to walk. Fortunately, after I managed to implement principles from the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN and when I included the FOUR CRITICAL FOODS in my diet as well as some of the good quality supplements and antioxidants (listed below) the damage to my spine caused by free radicals, dehydration, bad diet, nutritional deficiencies, stress, toxins, etc. was reversed. As a result, for about 4 years I haven’t felt any pain in my back. I am completely pain and symptoms free even after I repeatedly lift very heavy objects! It is just another proof that our body, which is wonderfully made, can regenerate and renew itself if we only provide it with all the materials and “tools” it needs to repair itself.
Below I included a testimony written by a Person who after 2 spine surgeries & 2 hip replacements, was pain free on Hallelujah Diet:
“What I have to share with you is truly unbelievable. I am a 63 years old Canadian and have been partially paralysed from the waist down. I went through two spine operations back in 2002, but was able to learn how to walk again afterword, only to have two hip replacements. I was in constant pain and felt it was all over for me. Twenty days ago I started on The Hallelujah Diet. Up until twelve days ago I still thought it was all over for me, but then something wonderful started to happen within my body and to my surprise three days ago I found myself pain free! Before the diet change I could barely walk when I awoke but now have no problem walking. When I started on The Hallelujah Diet twenty days ago I weighed 217 pounds, ached with arthritis all over, experiencing constant pain from my hip surgeries and spine surgeries. People like me naturally have problems having bowel movements and I was no stranger there as I would often go a week between bowel movements. Before the diet change my blood sugar was at 9.4 or higher, blood pressure was 187/97 and I had been on five medications to control my blood pressure for some twenty-five years. Well, to make a long story a bit shorter, I now weigh 177 pounds, for a weight loss of 40 pounds in just 20 days; blood pressure is now 127/83; blood sugar is down to 5.8 and lower, I have had a bowl movement every day but one in the last twelve days, and have experienced no pain for the last three days. Now these are miracles and I thank God and the Hallelujah Diet. Praise His Holy Name!” Source >
Learn more about Hallelujah Diet >
A VERY COMMON PROBLEM
A herniated (bulging) disc is one of the most common causes of neck, back and leg pain (sciatica). 1 in 3 people currently suffer from herniated disc and many of them are unaware of it as pain is not always present.
Spinal disc herniations are particularly common in people between the ages of 35 and 45 who are carrying excess body weight and people who engage in physically challenging occupations that require bending and twisting movements.
Herniated discs most frequently occur in the lower part of the spine; however they can also occur in the cervical and thoracic spine.
First of all, it is important to understand the key causes of disc herniation. Below you will find links to short videos which explain it in a clear and simple way:
A spinal disc consists of a gel centre (nucleus pulposus) surrounded by a tough exterior called the annulus fibrosus. This construction allows the disc to absorb shock while maintaining structural integrity.
Unfortunately, dehydration, poor blood circulation in the spine (blood is unable to provide annulus fibrosus with oxygen, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, water, etc.), weak and clogged capillaries, high cholesterol and high blood glucose levels, age, trauma, strenuous physical activity, psychological stress, toxins, free radicals, unhealthy diet (high in fat and refined sugar), insufficient consumption of raw vegetables and fruits, nutritional deficiencies, genetic predispositions, overweight, lack of physical activity, and other factors can cause the annulus fibrosus to wear down, leading to herniation of the disc’s gel.
A herniated disc occurs when pressure from the vertebrae above and below (caused by being overweight, inappropriate posture, lifting heavy things, etc.) forces nucleus pulposus (spinal gel) through a weakened or torn apart annulus. As a result the herniated (slipped) nucleus pulposus can press on the nerves located near the disc, resulting in irritation, inflammation, swelling of the nerve and pain.
THE KEY CAUSE
It seems to me that the key cause of bulging disc is exactly the same as it is in case of osteoarthritis > – clogged arteries and capillaries and insufficient blood circulation and oxygen and nutrient supply. According to Dr Michael Greger one of the key causes of spine degeneration and back pain could be cholesterol caused by animal diet and atherosclerosis which clogs spinal arteries and small capillaries preventing them from providing transporting proper amount of oxygen, antioxidants and nutrients to the annulus fibrosus. As a result it its gets weaker and finally gets damaged:
“Low back pain became one of the biggest problems for public health systems in the Western world during the second half of the 20th century. The lifetime prevalence of low back pain is reported to be as high as 84%, and chronic low back pain currently affects about 1 in 5, with 1 in 10 being disabled. It’s an epidemic. Are people just lifting more heavy stuff? No. Mechanical factors, such as lifting and carrying, probably do not play a major role in the disease. Well then, what causes it? Atherosclerosis can obstruct the arteries that feed the spine and this diminished blood flow can result in various back problems. This can be seen on angiography, showing normal arteries on the left and clogged on the right, or on autopsy, where you can see the openings to the spinal arteries can get squeezed shut by these cholesterol-filled plaques on the right. Autopsy, because back pain may predict fatal heart disease, just like clogs in the penile arteries—erectile dysfunction—can precede heart attacks, because it’s the same disease; clogged, crippled arteries throughout our entire vascular system. Now we have MRI imaging that can show the occlusion of spinal arteries in people with back pain, and the degeneration of the discs. Normal blood flow in someone without back pain, versus constricted blood flow in someone with. They showed that patients with long-term lower back pain had these kinds of arterial clogs, and those with high cholesterol appeared to suffer more severe symptoms. Those with narrowed arteries appear about eight and a half times more likely to have suffered from chronic back pain. This makes sense. The discs in our lower back are the largest avascular tissue in the body, meaning our discs don’t have any blood vessels. Thus, its nutrition just kind of diffuses in from the margins, making it especially vulnerable to deprivation. Using MRIs you can measure the effects of impaired blood flow on that diffusion, and see how this can turn into that. Although disc degeneration has multiple causal factors, with genetic, occupational, and mechanical influences, alteration in nutrition has been proposed as the final common pathway. By age 49, 97% of the discs of those eating the standard American diet show at least grade 2 degradation. Cholesterol plaques in the walls of the aorta can obliterate the orifices of lumbar and middle sacral arteries and may decrease blood supply of the lumbar spine and its surrounding structures. Structures with precarious nutrient supply, such as the intervertebral discs, may suffer and gradually degenerate from this lack of blood flow, as well as herniate. Not only is there a relationship between cholesterol levels and disc degeneration; there’s an association between cholesterol levels and disc herniation as well. This compromised blood flow may also damage the nerve roots that come off the spine, causing sciatica. Sciatica is back pain that radiates down the legs, causing additional pain, numbness or weakness, and prolonged disability and may affect as many as 1 in 20 people. And independent of weight, and some other factors, clinical sciatica may be associated with cholesterol as well. See, the nerve roots, which are most commonly associated with sciatic pain, are supplied by some of the arteries most vulnerable to atherosclerotic plaque formation. Obliteration of these arteries by cholesterol build-up results in compromised nutrient supply to the nerve itself. And that lack of oxygen to the nerve may be playing a role in sciatica pain. Reduced blood flow also hampers the removal of waste products, such as lactic acid, which can in turn irritate the nerve endings, causing pain and deterioration. Because of this vulnerability, discs degenerate far earlier than do other musculoskeletal tissues; the first unequivocal findings of degeneration in the discs of the lower spines can be seen starting around age 11. By the early teen years you can already see the discs starting to degenerate. This makes sense. As I’ve talked about, nearly all kids have the beginnings of atherosclerosis by age 10. And sadly, low back pain is now common in children and adolescents as well, and it is becoming a real public health concern. And it’s getting worse. It’s like kids now getting disorders like adult-onset diabetes. Teenagers starting their lives out with a chronic disease. That’s why it’s never too early to start eating healthier.”
Watch the VIDEO by Dr Greger >
Fortunately, there are natural alternatives (listed below) that are very effective in treating chronic inflammation but without harmful side effects. If possible all or most of them should be used at the same time for the optimal and quicker results. Using these remedies will reduce or eliminate inflammation, swelling, and pain while at the same time it will gradually lead to regeneration of the damaged annulus fibrosus through which the disc gel slipped outside. The regeneration of the damaged annulus fibrosus will slowly push the spinal gel back to its original place leading to complete recovery.
As soon as the inflammation and pain are under control you should start special exercise program (using the YouTube links listed below) as it will greatly speed up the whole process.
SUPPLEMENTS, SUPER GRASSES AND HERBAL REMEDIES
– Chlorella: 3 tabl (or 1 teaspoon of powder) 30 min before breakfast and 1 tabl 30 min before lunch with vegetable juice or water. Every day increase dosage by 1 tabl until 10 tabl (or 1 heaped tablespoon) 30 min before breakfast and 10 tabl 30 min before lunch (always with 2-3 glasses of water or vegetable juice).
Chlorella is regarded as the best natural energy booster, detoxifier, pain reliever, and regenerating agent. It is a highest source of nucleic acids RNA and DNA which are capable of repairing damaged DNA. Chlorella together with other supplements and herbal remedies will slowly rebuild the annulus fibrosus which is the key cause of the herniated disc. Since chlorella is 10 times higher in chlorophyll than green leafy vegetables it is best possible oxygen pump in human body. In case of bulging disc it is extremely important as one of the main problems about discs healing is that they do not receive proper supply of oxygen. You can also increase the oxygen level through walking. Read more about amazing healing properties of Chlorella >
– Boswellia (Viridian) 270mg of Boswellia in 1 caps. (65% boswellic acid) (Anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, etc.): 2 times a day 1 caps between meals.
– Turmeric: 1 caps 2 times a day. Benefits of turmeric: Anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, anxiety, depression, improves mood, detoxifies the body, and kills cancer stem cells.
– To reduce pain take about 250 mg (4 times 60,000 IU) a day on an empty stomach of Serrapeptase regarded as the Miracle Enzyme – believed to be the most effective natural pain-killer (without side effects), also removes dead tissue and inflammation (inflammation is a major player in many chronic pain conditions).
– Vitamin B12 (must be sublingual and only in the form of methylcobalamin, not cyanocobalamin): 2000mcg (2 tablets) a day under tongue at mealtime. Methylcobalamin can reverse neurological damage, detoxify the body, and improve memory and concentration. It will help to regenerate the spinal nerve injury and eliminate pain. Find out more fascinating facts about vitamin B12 >
– Vitamin D3 – 40,000 IU a day for the first 2-3 months. After that 20,000 IU a day for 6 months and 5000 IU daily after that all the time. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium (magnesium citrate powder is my favourite) must be taken (at least 200mg of elemental magnesium twice daily) as without enough magnesium in the body vitamin D is useless and in addition D3 leads to magnesium deficiency. You also need to take at least 200mcg daily of vitamin K2 MK7 to prevent calcification caused by taking large doses of vitamin D3. The most important way of obtaining vitamin D is of course through regular sun exposures during summer time between 10am and 2pm. Unfortunately, since in the UK almost every person is deficient in vitamin D the only solution seems to be supplementation. Vitamin D deficiency plays important role in the development of disc degeneration and herniation. According to a 2014 study, because of the “inflammatory nature of disc herniation and the immunomodulatory effects of vitamin D, as well as the existence of vitamin D receptors in various parts of areas that are affected in the process of disc herniation, vitamin D3 plays important role in reducing the severity of discogenic pain.”
Vitamin D has properties that defend against cell injury caused via free radicals and it affects detoxification pathways which are of importance in disc cell nutritional balance.
Vitamin D also affects sensory neurons to modulate pain, influences neuron excitability and acts at the level of substantia gelatinosa and spinal ganglion in the process of sensory perception. Apart from having anti-inflammatory properties vitamin D is essential in helping your body to properly absorb and use calcium which helps to keep spine strong. Without vitamin D, our body begins to robe the spine of calcium.
Since vitamin D supplements lead to magnesium deficiency, and because according to recent studies almost every in the UK person is now deficient not only in vitamin D but also magnesium, you must take 400 to 800mg of good quality magnesium every day. Read more about vitamin D >
– Magnesium citrate or another well absorbed magnesium: 2 times a day 200-400 mg between meals. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency.
– Multivitamin-mineral formula: 1 tablet after breakfast. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as Daily Essentials (Phoenix Nutrition) or Healthy Mega (HealthAid), which are excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formulas fortified with herbs, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. If your diet is very healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1/2 tablet after breakfast. Below you an example of how huge can be the difference between a cheap multivitamin such as Centrum and a much better multivitamin. The price of the above mentioned good multivitamins is about two times higher than centrum advance but the value for money is approximately 20 times higher (taking into consideration the strength of vitamins and additional ingredients).
– Tulsi tea (Holy Basil): 2 times a day 1 glass between meals (anti-inflammatory, anxiety, stress, pain reliever, sedentary).
– It might be difficult to get one but if you are lucky you can try to test the Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil which is extremely effective especially in treating cancer but many people report effectiveness of this formula in other problems including back pains and even bulging disc. Here you can read one of the feedbacks:
“I have a herniated disc that presses on my sciatic nerve causing severe pain to shoot from my lower back down my left leg to my toes. I was taking 3 ibuprofens every four hours just so I could get out of bed and be able to walk. I started taking the oil almost two weeks ago for the pain and inflammation. I now require no ibuprofen, I sleep better than I may have ever, my co-workers have commented on my better moods and overall happiness. I FEEL GOOD!” — Lovely. Thank you, Jennifer Bruckner. JB (SOURCE >)
Read more about Cannabis and Rick Simpson Oil >
– After taking Chlorella for about 3 months try another excellent remedy called Clean Greens powder (Pukka). It is one of the most powerful natural remedies I know and many of our customers praised it for boosting energy and immune system, eliminating toxins, inflammation and pain, and for giving other benefits: Take 1 teaspoon of the powder 30 min before breakfast with vegetable juice or water and 1 teaspoon 30 min before lunch. It can be taken together with chlorella. Clean Greens is one of the most powerful remedies I know as many of our customers told me how effective this formula was in dealing with inflammations, back pains, chronic fatigue, diabetes, cancer, gastrointestinal problems, liver and kidneys problems, weak immune system, etc. It consists of organic blend of 11 super-rich mostly freeze-dried green super foods including Wheat Grass Juice (30 times stronger than regular juice!), Nettle, Chlorella, Spirulina, Kale Sprouts, Sea-greens, freshwater plants and digestive herbs. Made with some of nature’s finest herbs, grown in fertile organic soils it captures the incredible essence of nature’s bounty. Also Raw Reserve (Amazing Grass) has similar benefits as Clean Greens but it has more ingredients. It is a complete raw food with powerful antioxidants, herbs, super grasses, vitamins and minerals. It is a blend of raw and high-quality, nutrient dense ingredients from the land, fresh water, and the sea with 25 billion probiotics per serving and digestive enzymes to aid digestion and absorption.
REBUILDING ANNULUS FIBROSUS
The most important goal in treating herniated disc is to regenerate the damaged annulus fibrosus through which the disc gel slips.
In order to figure out how to rebuild it we need to know its building material. The annulus fibrosus consists of water (65–90%) several layers of fibrocartilage made up of collagen (50–70% dry weight), proteoglycans (10–20% dry weight) and non-collagenous proteins (e.g. elastin).
Hydrate annulus fibrosus with WATER!
– Studies have shown that the majority of patients with herniated (bulging) disc have loss of water content of the disc with resulting loss of disc height and thus greatly contributed to disc herniation!
Since annulus fibrosus consists mainly of water (65–90%) you need to drink 2-3 litres of water a day (3 -4 glasses 3 times a day between meals). If you drink vegetable juices you need less water.
If possible drink only water low in calcium (not more than 20ml of calcium per litre of water) as calcium in hard water (high in calcium) is inorganic (calcium carbonate) and can’t be absorbed by bone cells and as a result it tends to accumulate in other parts of the body contributing to many health problems.
Drink only distilled water > and avoid hard water (high in calcium) because it contains inorganic calcium carbonate which is harmful and contributes to arthritis, kidney stones, constipation and hardens arteries. Add a little bit of fresh lemon juice to your distilled water to make it more alkaline and tastier.
Read a fascinating article about WATER >
One of the most important goals in treating bulging disc is to rebuild collagen as apart from water it is the second key component of annulus fibrosus. In order to achieve this goal you need especially the following components: glucosamine, omega 3, vitamin C, and MSM (sulphur).
– Glucosamine hydrochloride – 1000mg with meal.
Found naturally in the body glucosamine is essential for the maintenance and repair of collagen (the primary component of discs). The body uses glucosamine to form the chemicals it needs to repair cartilage, tendons and ligaments, and synovial fluid (the naturally occurring fluid that bathes the spinal joints). Collagen helps to maintain and repair spinal joint cartilage.
Should you use glucosamine hydrochloride or glucosamine sulphate?
The active ingredient in any glucosamine product is only the glucosamine element, and the hydrochloride or sulphate acid salt is purely a delivery vehicle. The simple answer is that both forms are equally effective. However, the glucosamine sulphate is stabilised with sodium chloride (table salt) – and can contain as much as 30% sodium which contributes to high blood pressure and other problems. For this reason hydrochloride is a better way to go.
Should you use glucosamine with chondroitin? No. A number of glucosamine products include chondroitin (a cattle-sourced compound) and many believe that they should be used together for better results. This idea, however, is misleading as chondroitin can be beneficial only in the form of direct injections to the affected part of the body. As an orally-taken compound, chondroitin doesn’t make sense because it is essentially destroyed during the digestive process. Scientific evidence does not show that a glucosamine-chondrocyte combination is any more effective than glucosamine by itself. Apart from that, chondroitin is a cattle-sourced compound which means that, although the risk is not high, it may be contaminated with prions or other dangerous components.
– Omega 3 fish oil (only distilled). Omega 3 helps to rebuild collagen and can ease the inflammation and pain caused by many chronic conditions: 2 caps (1000mg each) with breakfast and 1 caps with second meal (altogether at least 3,000mg a day). However, the dose used in the most convincing research was much higher (2 to 4 grams of DHA + EPA daily).
Although eating fish has been promoted because it contains omega-3 fatty acids, fish is usually contaminated with very high levels of toxic mercury, lead, PCBs, dioxin and other dangerous chemicals. To get the benefits of omega-3 without being exposed to the toxins in fish, use good quality organic omega -3 fish oil with additional antioxidants which prevent oxidation, such as the one offered by Viridian.
– Ground flaxseed (best plant source of omega 3): 1 heaped tablespoon of ground flax seed consumed with warm (not hot) breakfast or before breakfast. Another excellent plant source of omega 3 is soaked chia seeds (1-2 tablespoons a day with meal).
– Vitamin C is one of the most important nutritional supplements in repairing your ruptured herniated disc. It is required for the proper repair of all tissues. Packed with antioxidants, vitamin C works as an anti-inflammatory agent that can help to reduce pain and inflammation caused by a herniated disc.
Vitamin C is crucial for the formation of collagen — the protein necessary for developing strong, healthy bones and ligaments. Vitamin C can be found in a variety of food products you consume regularly, including citrus fruits, strawberries, berries, kiwis and red peppers.
Specialists such as Dr Balch suggest that in case of herniated disc the daily intake of vitamin C should be 3,000 to even 10,000 mg (preferably with bioflavonoids).
Find out more about Vitamin C >
– Other components which are very helpful in regenerating collagen tissue and reversing herniated disc:
MSM (sulphur) (it accelerates protein and collagen production), zinc (helps to promote tissue healing, 15-30mg a day after breakfast), alpha lipoic acid, vitamins B6, copper, free-form amino acids, folic acid, manganese (very important, at least 40 mg a day), vitamin B3, biotin, chromium, vitamin B complex, multivitamin and mineral complex.
REMEDIES FOR EXTERNAL USE
– Comfrey (Symphytum officinale). Comfrey is one of the most effective remedies for external use I know and recommended many times often with great results. It is used on the skin to treat wounds, ulcers, and heal bruises as well as pulled muscles and ligaments. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also very effective in regenerating damaged tissues and treating painful conditions such as backaches.
Comfrey compress: In order to prepare a Comfrey compress you need to make a strong tea or concoction. Take about 4 tablespoons of comfrey root or leaf and place it in about 1 litre of boiling hot water. Cover it and steep or simmer for at least 30 minutes (simmering will make the tea stronger). Strain, soak a clean cloth or gauze in this strong comfrey water extract (concoction) and apply directly to the affected painful area of the body that need treatment leaving it overnight or at least two hours (the longer the better). Make sure the compress is wet all the time. In order to prevent it from drying cover it with cling film or another material. Do it in the morning and evening or at least once a day until the pain is gone.
You can also try comfrey oil or cream.
Unfortunately, this excellent herb has been demonised and effectively discouraged many from using it even externally due to some biased and controversial animal studies. According to those studies, taken orally, Comfrey is supposed to be toxic to the liver and as a result is no longer sold in many countries except in creams or ointments. Read more about it here >
– ThermaCare Back Heat Wrap – a very effective and inexpensive pain killer which generates a low level heat for about eight hours and can be worn under clothes so you remain mobile. ThermaCare HeatWraps provide up to 16 hours of therapeutic relief from back pain when worn for eight hours. It is as effective as taking 6 ibuprofen tablets when worn for eight hours.
The heat is generated from a chemical reaction, iron oxidation, when the pads are unsealed and exposed to air. The pads’ ingredients include activated carbon, iron powder, sodium chloride, sodium thiosulfate, sodium polyacrylate and water. On Amazon you can read many positive reviews written by users of the ThermaCare Back Heat Wrap >
– Water treatments should be performed every day, especially alternative heat and ice therapy. It is very effective in easing pain and removing inflammation. Alternative hot and cold treatment will also improve blood circulation, elimination of toxins, will stimulate regeneration, and improve working of the nervous and immune system. Apart from that, it increases the flow of healing oxygen and nutrients to the damaged area, and it suppresses pain signals sent to the brain.
Heat treatment should be cooled with ice. Back pain almost always comes with some level of inflammation, and ice is the best natural way to reduce it. Ice also helps by acting as a local anaesthetic, and by slowing nerve impulses, which interrupts the pain signals in the affected area. Ice, however, should be applied after prolonged hot treatment.
Start with heat first (hot water bottle, electric heating pad, hot shower, hot towel compress, or hot bath) and after about 5 minutes, when the treated area is warm enough, apply an ice pack or any very cold treatment (shower, compress, etc.) for about 3 to 5 min. Then alternate the hot and cold application (3-5 min each), back and forth 5-7 times in a row.
Find out more about HYDROTHERAPY >
EXERCISES FOR HERNIATED DISC
After you manage to reduce inflammation and pain you should slowly and carefully start the special exercise program using the following YouTube links:
Any appropriate physical activity that gets your blood pumping for a sustained period will release pain-relieving endorphins into your system. Endorphins also help alleviate anxiety, stress, and depression, conditions that often accompany and exacerbate chronic pain.
EXERCISES FOR A THORACIC (UPPER) DISC BULGING TO PUSH THE DISC BACK IN
Shoulder Blade Squeezes
Begin sitting or standing tall with your back straight. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as hard and as far as possible pain free. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times provided there is no increase in symptoms. Repeat 4 – 5 times daily. In some cases it may be beneficial to perform this exercise every 1 or 2 hours provided the exercise does not cause or increase symptoms.
Begin sitting or standing tall with your back and neck straight, shoulders should be back slightly. Tuck your chin in as far as you can go without pain and provided you feel no more than a mild to moderate stretch. Keep your eyes and nose facing forwards. Hold for 2 seconds and perform 10 repetitions provided the exercise does not cause or increase symptoms. Repeat 4 – 5 times daily. In some cases it may be beneficial to perform this exercise every 1 or 2 hours provided the exercise does not cause or increase symptoms.
Super foods contain the highest concentration of nutrients, chlorophyll, phytochemicals, and solar energy in the most easily digestible form available.
– Every day include in your diet the 5 CRITICAL and MOST POWERFUL SUPER FOODS:
1. Fresh raw sprouts;
2. Freshwater algae (chlorella, spirulina);
3. Super grasses (barley grass, alfalfa, wheat grass);
4. Fresh cold pressed vegetable juices;
5. Fresh raw organic turmeric powder (Pukka) or wholistic turmeric capsules (Pukka) with 10 x better bioavailibility than powder.
– Every day eat fresh raw (not cooked) sprouts (alfalfa sprouts, watercress sprouts, sunflower sprouts, etc.).
The process of seed germination results in a dramatic increase in their vitamin, mineral and phytochemical content. According to Dr. J. Mercola, „Sprouts can contain up to 30 times the nutrition of organic vegetables! Sprouted seed, nut or bean has a whopping 43 times the enzyme power when compared to the non-sprouted variety! Sprouts are the highest source of ENZYMES which improve digestion of food and absorption of essential nutrients.”
Sprouts are also bioactive food as they are the only plant based food that is still growing as we consume them!
Purchasing very inexpensive sprouts at retail stores is the simplest method for adding sprouts to your menu, but growing them at home on a large tray with soil is much better. Using good quality soil to grow your own sprouts, you make them organic and free from pesticides and other unwanted chemicals. I make my own sunflower sprouts as they are most delicious and very potent. Try to avoid consuming the same type of sprouts every day for a longer period of time. Instead use variety of different sprouts but the most important seem to be fresh sunflower sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and watercress sprouts. On YouTube you will find numerous videos explaining how to make your own sprouts at home.
– Discs are composed largely of avascular tissue with a great sensitivity to its nutritional supply and excretion of waste products, and the balance between these two processes is an important factor that could lead to disc degeneration and herniation. It is therefore very important to detoxify the spine and effected area and supply nutrients, phytochemicals and antioxidants through the means of the most beneficial and optimal diet.
The best results will be achieved in this area by implementing key principles of Hallelujah diet > (the most effective among all diets) by eating mostly raw plant-based unrefined foods for 3-6 months.
– You will greatly speed up the regeneration of the annulus fibrosus and the recovery from bulging disc by drinking raw fresh cold-pressed vegetable juices (carrots, celery, kale, broccoli, beetroot, etc.): 2 times a day 2 glasses 30 min before meals. To make it easier you can make enough juice for one or two days (not longer than 2 days) and keep it in the fridge. If you don’t like the taste of vegetable juice made out of the mentioned above vegetables you may drink the carrot juice alone.
– Fresh pineapple (bromelain – painkiller). Research shows that bromelain found in fresh pineapples reduces levels of prostaglandins, which are hormones that induce inflammation.
– Use only coconut oil (raw organic). Other fats and plant oils and spreads (margarines, etc.) are high in pro-inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids. Please keep in mind that especially dangerous are foods which are high in hydrogenated fats and trans-fats such as doughnuts, chips, frozen pizzas, cakes, many bakery goods, etc.
– Eat foods rich in resveratrol (red grapes, cranberries, and blueberries) as it slows down disc degradation. Scientists at Rush Medical University showed that resveratrol blocks the enzyme that is responsible for tissue degeneration.
– Avoid any caffeinated drinks (coffee, black tea, green tea, cola, chocolate, etc.)
– Vitamin K is important in allowing a herniated disc to heal. Found in leafy green vegetables, and soy products as well as in supplements (use K2 MK7 from fermented natto), vitamin K plays an important role in the healing of bones, bone formation and in the synthesis of osteocalcin. Osteocalcin is a bone protein need to crystallize calcium throughout our body. Vitamin K can help to bind calcium to our discs and vertebrae. An injury – such as a herniated disc – can cause vitamin K levels to fall. This is because vitamin K binds to the injured site in an effort to help you heal.
– Your diet should contain organic calcium but not from dairy products as although they are high in calcium they weaken bones due to high animal protein content.
The healthy sources of calcium are plant foods such as: green-leafy vegetables (kale, etc.), okra, beans, sesame seeds and tahini paste, nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, and figs, apricots, tofu, soy bean, etc. In addition you can use Calcium citrate supplements as it is regarded as organic type of calcium.
– Eat sulphur rich foods as it accelerates protein and collagen production. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, garlic, onion, turnips, are rich sources of sulphur-containing substances known as glucosinolates.
– Avoid dairy products (especially cheese), gluten, processed products, foods high in nitrites (meats), white flour products, white pasta, refined rice, artificial sweeteners, any foods containing high fructose corn syrup, high-glucose syrup, and refined sugar as all of them can exacerbate the inflammation and pain associated with back pain.
– Reduce your intake of grains. Excessive intake of grains and sugars will elevate your insulin and leptin levels primarily through causing your body to be resistant to them, resulting in the increase of inflammatory prostaglandin production.
SHUT DOWN THE CATABOLIC HORMONES (ADRENALIN, CORTISOL)
Learn to control stress through regular exercise, walking outside, meditation (prayer), proper breathing, etc. Too much stress causes overproduction of adrenalin and cortisol (catabolic or stress hormones) which can be very destructive to the body including spine. Stress is also one of key sources of free radicals which greatly contribute to chronic and degenerative conditions. Apart from stress also diet which is too high in carbohydrates (especially refined ones) can increase blood levels of stress hormones by elevating blood insulin levels.
– Wear high-heels only occasionally as it is believed it may cause enough additional disc stress to result in further disc bulging.
– Stay mobile, walk, or swim. Avoid positions that increase discomfort such as sitting down.
“Dear George and Rhonda, I am excited to let you know that I have experienced healing of my herniated disc as a result of eating The Hallelujah Diet. On September 10, 2006, both of you were in Lexington, Kentucky for a seminar, and I listened intently as Rev. Malkmus enthusiastically shared The Hallelujah Diet. Although I already knew about the diet and thought I was on it, I realized I really wasn’t on it. Hearing your message and talking personally with you both, gave me the motivation I needed to crack down on myself and do The Hallelujah Diet properly and without cheating.
My back pain began in March 2006 when the disk began pinching a nerve going down my leg, which was so painful I was unable to sit. Even during your seminar I had to get up from my chair and go lay down in the back of the auditorium. After the seminar I began eating correctly and drinking lots of carrot juice and within a week I was experiencing much less pain. As of today, I take no pain medication and am able to sit down for long periods of time without pain!
Before going faithfully on The Hallelujah Diet, doctors told me I needed to have surgery for the pain to go away, but I am so happy to let you know that The Hallelujah Diet can even take away the pain of Herniated Discs!” July 10, 2014
“I started The Hallelujah Diet at the insistence of a member of the church I was pastoring at the time. I had severe allergies requiring prescription medication, and an acid reflux problem that had resisted all prescribed medications. After a painful herniated disc erupted in my back, a neurologist prescribed 800mg Motrin for pain. Out of a desperate desire to avoid surgery, I tried The Hallelujah Diet. Within six weeks after changing my diet, I was a new man! Although I don’t always follow the diet as closely as I should, especially in my ministry travelling, I’ve been following the diet for almost three years. I am now free of prescription drugs for indigestion! I sleep through the night without the reflux problems. Other bonuses of The Hallelujah Diet have been a loss of over 30 pounds, increased energy, and the disappearance of those nasty allergies. My back pain mysteriously disappeared, while my strength and stamina returned.” July 14, 2014
“I suffered with lower back problems for a number of years, mainly as a result of a herniated disc. The inflammation was so bad that I was given anti-inflammatory drugs that made me feel very sick. After a daily routine of ice packs, chiropractic visits, therapeutic massage and physiotherapy, I returned to work after a month, continuing my gradual recovery program.
So after much soul-searching and daily cries to God, I begged Him to heal me or take me; I just couldn’t bear it any longer. It was at this time that we received a call from some dear friends of ours who sent me an article on Barley green written by Dr. George Malkmus. This truly was a Godsend, an answer to many prayers. I discovered the Hallelujah Diet and continued with the dietary changes I had made, eating more raw fruits & vegetables, drinking lots of distilled water, and I bought a Champion Juicer and began juicing organic carrots.
Immediately after getting off the world’s diet I felt worse! This is referred to as the healing crisis. Well I had a couple weeks of these cleansing reactions & then I had some days that I felt better than I had in a long time and within 3 1/2 months all my physical problems were gone, including my back problems! They just slowly disappeared!
Today my diet is approx. 85% raw/15% cooked (some days all raw). Since making the dietary/lifestyle change, my back pain is gone, my bad sinus problems are gone, I have not experienced a head-ache, sore throat, cold, flu, upset stomach.” Randy Rondeau (firstname.lastname@example.org)
“Hello, I’ve been suffering from disc herniation early May 2014. I’m in pain daily, all day. Could you share more about your experience with healing your disc? How long did it take to heal? What did you eat and drink? I’m really desperate as I’ve tried physical therapy, chiropractor and now non-surgical spinal decompression. I started acupuncture this past Monday. I do not want to have back surgery but I really don’t know much more of this pain I can take.” Tiana, September 11, 2014
“Hi Tiana, After desperate attempts like you I resorted to taking anti-inflammatory meds as a band aide to help with the pain as I dug myself out of the disaster. I went cold turkey and did a 3 day alkaline juice feast as on my site under Juice feast- search it on my site. Then I only ate alkaline blended or raw foods and green juices for 3 months plus a bit of legumes after 6 weeks and I was then finally completely out of pain! It was like a miracle that it worked from my uneducated nutritional perspective! When I was in it, it felt like it was never going to end and that 3 months was an eternity! But I have to say, changing my lifestyle has been permanent relief with no side effects except good ones like vibrant health and weight loss and loving life! I am ever grateful for my herniated disc and that it lead me here! Please read Dr. Robert O. Young’s book The pH Miracle Revised. It helps keep you motivated when you educate yourself and it will answer many questions.
Most of all, drink lots and lots of clean pure alkaline water! This will plump the disc up! Gosh I want you to have faith, because this truly is the way. Don’t get the surgery, you’ll regret it later! It’s the quick fix from the outside. You need to heal from the inside out! All my best! And please please, let me know your success and how you are doing!!! YOU CAN DO IT!” Julie, September 11, 2014
“Hi Julie, I have just started eating the alkaline way and I’m reading The ph Miracle book at the moment, even after just a few weeks of changing my diet I feel so good, lots more energy and just feel better within myself, I have been suffering a lot of health problems over the years and I am glad I have found out about this way of healing my body from the inside out.” Karen, September 20, 2014
“My husband, who was suffering from a herniated disk, began to take chlorella along with me about 2 years ago. He had severe pain, and once he sat down, he had a difficult time getting up. Now he is free of any pain and is able to get up smoothly. Furthermore, when our eldest daughter was suffering from herpes zoster after giving birth, we let her take chlorella, and she recovered from herpes zoster. I am confident that it was chlorella that helped our family.”
“I have been taking Chlorella for several years. I had a herniated disk in my back. I am better now. I’ve told other family members to try them. I will continue taking them till I find they don’t help me.” Henrietta W. Regina, SK
“I have a herniated disc and hyperplasia in my hips. I’m 45 and have been in constant pain for the last three years. I refuse to use NSAIDS or narcotics any more, and over the years have tried all kinds of treatments including chiropractic, physio, herbs, massage, etc. with no success. However my local health food store sells Serrapeptase and they recommended it. I took my first 60mg Serrapeptase capsule last week and within an hour my pain was radically diminished. I increased the dose to two capsules in the morning, and one at night, if needed. So after my first week, I can honestly say my pain is gone! I haven’t been pain free in three years.” Jemma Lee, Victoria, BC CA
“At the moment I am dealing with inflammation in shoulder, muscle tears, and a herniated disk. The serrapeptase has really been making a difference. I started with 6 tablets (50,000 IU) 3 x a day. When I backed off to 3 tablets 3 x a day I noticed the difference and so increased it again these last few days. It has made these days much more comfortable and more movement possible.”
“One thing to try is serrapeptase. It’s been prescribed in Europe and japan for years. I just started taking it and feel good, tweaked my back a few weeks ago. It works as a safe anti-inflammatory, with no side effects. Take it on an empty stomach as it breaks down in the intestine.”
“I have been using serrapeptase for about 3 weeks because of a partially degenerated disc in my lower back. Just two days ago my pain has subsided, and I find it unbelievable. The pain that I was experiencing was just almost unbearable! I was living on ibuprofen but now, I really do not need it.” VM
“I’ve suffered from neck pain for the last 42 years from 6 different injuries. Serrapeptase has given me the most relief of anything I’ve tried. I still have pain but it’s greatly reduced from what it is was before.” E.W.
“Serrapeptase is better than a cortisone shot. I have tennis elbow and I used to have to take cortisone shots. Now the pain in my elbow, knees, wrists, and ankles is gone. I started with 4 tablets 3 times daily then I reduced to 3 tablets 3 times daily. If I take less than that I notice some pain in my joints. My ankle swelling is gone now and it looks like someone else with skinny ankles is wearing my shoes. My haemorrhoid disappeared. It had been my friend for 30 years but I don’t miss it one bit. Also my blood pressure is down 10 points. I recommended it to my brother and he said it took 2-3 weeks for his joint pain to go away.” PC
“I have been in pain for so long I can’t remember when I wasn’t until now. My doctor asked me to take serrapeptase hoping to get me off Celebrex and to keep me from going on narcotics for relief of my pain. I took three serrapeptase yesterday three this morning and three more just a while ago. The pain I have felt for so long is gone. I can run and walk without pain of any kind. This has renewed my life and made it a joy to get up in the morning and thank God for another day.” BV
“Serrapeptase works like magic for osteoarthritis. I have a severe case of it. I do not take any other anti-inflammation drug or any pain killer.”
“My mother has been taking serrapeptase and now she is walking without her walker. She says she feels a lot better. I gave a bottle of serrapeptase to a man in his late 70′s and he got improvement in 3 days. He said his back doesn’t hurt any more.”
“Since I started taking serrapeptase in July I’ve lost 36 pounds and 4 inches off my waist. People who haven’t seen me in a while don’t even recognize me. I had been taking Motrin, two 800mg pills 3-4 times daily and now most days I don’t even need to use it at all.” MS
“I would wake up at night with such severe pains in my head that I thought about putting a gun to my head. I read about serrapeptase and bought some and it has given me great relief. It’s a miracle; it honestly, truly is. It has made a believer out of me. I noticed the biggest difference when I increased the dosage to 3 tablets 3 times per day.”
“I had a heavy bulge in May 2013, I was on bed for 8 months as i couldn’t sit for more than 1 hour continuously or walk for more than 100 meters. I tried many things and not a lot of improvement. But I got a set of exercises which gives exercise to all body muscles which worked brilliantly for me. Within 6 months here I am with no pain, able to walk as much as possible and I can dance too!”
“I am now extremely aware of always bending my knees instead of leaning over with knees locked. I have done some YouTube bulge disc exercises and had no pain after 5 months of pain. Lots of icing seems to be the best for pain relief. I had another relapse this weekend after going on long walks this week but I should have avoided hills.”
Please remember that the most important aspect of your treatment is diet and lifestyle according to the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
Share this article!
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved