Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Meningitis is an infection characterized by inflammation of the membranes (meninges) surrounding (protecting) the brain and spinal cord. It can be caused by a bacterial infection, viral infection (most common), or parasitic and fungal infection (rarely).
Acute meningitis is regarded as a medical emergency because up to 75 percent of all life-threatening meningitis cases occur in young children under the age of 5. Meningitis has also become a serious problem among young people between the ages of 15–25.
Of all the types of meningitis, bacterial meningitis is considered the most serious and life-threatening. Meningitis is such a serious condition because it directly attacks the brain and central nervous system (CNS).
Meningitis symptoms are similar to the symptoms of flu, which is why the two illnesses are commonly confused.
In severe cases meningitis can cause seizures and coma, brain damage, hearing loss, neurological damage, especially in susceptible patients such as infants, young children or the elderly people.
Poor hygiene and especially weak immunity caused by deficiency of vit. D, C, zinc, magnesium and antioxidants, refined diet high in sugar and white flour products, cheese, pizza, dairy, stimulants, lack of sleep, psychological stress, sedentary lifestyle, hypoxia (lack of oxygen in the body).
Please keep in mind that miningitis can be very dangerous and if you suspects it, especially in case of young children or infants, visit a doctor or the emergency room without delay.
– Most important aspect of the prevention and treatment is lifestyle and diet according to the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN as in this way you will make your immune system strong and deal with the causes of the problem.
Bacterial infections should be treated with either synthetic (followed by good probiotic formula) or natural (high dosages of garlic, golden seal, etc.) antibiotics. Chronic (or recurrent) bacterial infections require more effort and natural antibiotics must be associated with positive lifestyle changes and using best remedies able to weaken bacteria and strengthen the immune system.
As it in case of any bacterial or viral infection also here the development of disease depends on the strength of the immune system. Weakness of this system (caused by vitamin D and zinc deficiency, diet high in sugar and bad fats, dairy products, cheese, refined foods, stress, pessimism, nutritional deficiencies, toxins, diet low in antioxidants, avoiding raw vegetables, sedentary lifestyle, etc.) is the main cause of chronic disease. That’s why the key element of treating chronic disease is improving overall immunity by implementing the following principles and using listed below supplements which must work together (as many at the same time as possible).
BABIES AND YOUNG CHILDREN
The safest way to get antiviral and antibacterial effect on babies is by applying a raw garlic or raw onion poultice (compress) on their feet. Crush one garlic and raw onion and mix them with either warm water or oil (such as raw coconut or cold-pressed olive oil) and apply the mixture (pulp) to their feet through clean cotton cloth to avoid burning the skin. The active ingredients will be absorbed through the skin and work as effective or even better as ingested.
In addition you must give a baby or a young child at least 1000 IU of vitamin D3 in the form of drops every day.
Since vitamin D is useless without magnesium apply magnesium chloride oil also to the feet 2-3 times a day. In addition magnesium will calm their nervous system and boost immunity too.
Also try to find drops for babies that contain especially zinc, but also vitamin C, E, A and B complex.
Children also need to stay away from anything which weakens immune system, especially sugar, milk, dairy, sadness, etc.
HERBAL & NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Remember that in case of children doses of the listed below remedies and supplements should be 2-4 times lower.
Consult a practitioner first if you decide to use any of those remedies for infants and very young children.
– Every day after breakfast take one tablet of a good quality Multivitamin-mineral formula such as VM-2000 (Solgar), VM-75 (Solgar), Special Two (NOW Foods), Earth Source (Solgar), etc. Never buy cheap vitamins or popular multivitamin supplements such as Centrum as they are very low in vitamins and minerals and contain only poor quality low strength vitamins and minerals and only few or no additional ingredients such as herbs, super foods, or enzymes. Always compare the number of ingredients and strength of vitamins and minerals per tablet.
– Zinc keeps immune system in check; Inhibits viruses; Taking Zinc at the start of helps minimise duration and severity of miningitis symptoms. 15-50mg after meals. Zinc is very important!
– Vitamin D3: Recently researchers investigated and compared data from 25 studies on vitamin D that involved 10,000 people to explore the effect of vitamin D in preventing bacterial and viral infection. Remember that Vitamin D is useless if you don’t have enough magnesium in your body. Take about 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily (don’t take vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). Vitamin D is the strongest immune system booster and deficiency of this vitamin today is rampant. Even in hot parts of the world such as Africa or India majority of people are deficient in vitamin D because they do not expose their uncovered bodies to the sun. Remember to take Magnesium every day as vitamin D without enough magnesium in the body is useless. In addition, taking vitamin D supplements lead to magnesium deficiency resulting in sleeping problems, muscle cramps, and other symptoms! If you want quicker results take 20-50,000 IU of vitamin D3 (with at least 800mg of magnesium two times a day) after breakfast until recovery or for not longer than 2-3 months (in some infections mega doses may lead to recovery in just only few days), to avoid overdosing and side effects. After that reduce to 5-10,000 IU per day. Mega doses of this vitamin often greatly speed up recovery. Apart from magnesium also Vitamin K (vitamin K2 MK7 is the best supplement – based on fermented Natto) is important for prober absorption of vitamin D, but if you regularly consume green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, or chard you should have enough of this vitamin.
– Take Magnesium of high bioavailability such as magnesium chloride oil spray (highly absorbed through the skin), magnesium citrate tablets or magnesium citrate in powder form as it is free from binders and fillers: 200-400mg about 30 min before breakfast and the same amount about 1 hour before bed. Due to soil depletion and refined diet millions suffer from magnesium deficiency without even knowing it. Magnesium deficiency contributes to all health problems and it is almost impossible to detect it because it does not show up in blood tests as only 1% of the body’s magnesium is stored in the blood. The more vitamin D3 you take the more magnesium you need as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency!
– Bee Propolis has been shown to be effective against bacterial and viral infections; It’s also been used to enhance the immune system pathogen-fighting capabilities. Taking propolis by participants suffering from cold resulted in 2.5 faster recovery, when propolis was used in the initial stage of the disease. A 2002 research demonstrated that, “Bee propolis can prevent viral replication within the cells and reduces viral activity.” Also according to the 2004 research, “Propolis increased the number of lymphocytes and antibodies in response to viral infection.” In addition, “The vaccine in combination with propolis boosts immune defences stronger than the vaccine alone.”
– Rutin: Contains anti-inflammatory properties; Useful in alleviating the symptoms of infections.
– Quercetin: It has been known to have antiviral benefits; Helps reduce inflammation and symptoms viral infections.
– Maitake mushroom powder: A potent immune stimulant. According to a 2014 trial, “Immunomodulating glucans from Maitake and Shiitake mushrooms strongly stimulated both the cellular and humoral branch of immune reactions.”
– Astragalus extract: Effective energy and immune system booster. A 2012 study displayed its ability to control T-helper cells 1 and 2, essentially regulating the body’s immune responses. As a result of taking astragalus extract the macrophages and the natural killer cells of the immune system have a markedly enhanced ability to fight intruders (five- to six-fold!). According to Dr. Randy Horwitz, Medical Director at the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, “Astragalus has been found to have both antiviral and immune-enhancing properties. Research shows that the 50 or so different compounds in astragalus work by stimulating immune cells, such as T-cells, phagocytes, and macrophages, to fight off disease. In Asia, it’s even given to cancer patients.”
– Garlic: Studies have demonstrated that garlic helps reduce the risk of viral and bacterial infections and may reduce the severity of symptoms. One study gave 146 volunteers either garlic supplements or a placebo for three months. The garlic group had a 63% lower risk of getting a cold, and their colds were also 70% shorter. Another study also concluded that colds were on average 60% shorter for subjects on garlic, compared to a placebo group. Their colds were also less severe.
– Siberian mixture of fermented garlic and lemon juice: I was given this recipe from my Polish colleague who spent some time in Siberia. It also lowers bad cholesterol and triglycerides, regulates blood sugar level and blood pressure, boosts immune system, and kills bacteria, viruses, fungus, candida, or cancer cells. In order to make this mixture you need two ingredients: fresh juice from 24 lemons and 400 grams of squeezed fresh raw garlic. Place both ingredients in a glass jar and mix them together. Cover the opening of the jar with a clean cloth and live it in a dark cool place for 14 days until the content ferments. After two weeks strain the fermented mixture pouring the liquid into smaller glass jars. Close them with lids and keep the jars in the fridge. Always shake before use and for insomnia take one teaspoon with a half glass of worm water about one hour before going to sleep. After one month of using the mixture take a 7 days break and after that you can start using it again. After using it for 3 months you will need a whole month break. In this way it shouldn’t lose its effectiveness.
– Vitamin C: Being an antioxidant Vitamin C helps maintain strong immune system by protecting it against oxidative damage caused by free radicals: “Vitamin C is known as an essential anti-oxidant and enzymatic co-factor for hormone production, collagen synthesis and immune potentiation.” According to Linus Pauling, “Effectiveness of ascorbic acid in providing protection against viral diseases results from its function in the synthesis and activity of interferon in preventing the entry of virus particles into the cells… For many people 1000 mg to 2000 mg of Vitamin C per day is the optimum rate of ingestion.“ To prevent miningitis and reduce its symptoms, apart from vitamin C, also zinc and vitamin D3 are recommended for better results.
– Good probiotic formula for 2 months or longer. It is extremely important as lack of beneficial bacteria in intestines is one of the key cause of weak immune system! Make your own home-made raw Sauerkraut (don’t buy it as it is heated) and have at least 1-2 tablespoons with meal every day as it is the highest natural source of extremely beneficial Probiotic Bacteria you desperately need in your intestines. Alternatively, you may take a good probiotic formula. But make sure it contains live bacteria that are stomach acid- and bile-resistant as majority of probiotic supplements and yogurts on the market contain dead bacteria or bacteria that are not able to survive in the stomach.
– Vitamin C (must be L-ascorbic acid, not Ascorbic acid): 2-3 x 1000mg with meals.
– Golden seal tincture or Bee Propolis: Three times a day between meals with water.
– Methylcobalamin (form of vitamin B12) is another very important remedy which helped many people to get rid of chronic fatigue and problems associated with weak immune system as deficiency of this vitamin is regarded as “rampant” today. > Methylcobalamin (must be sublingual) 2,000 to 3,000 mcg a day under the tongue (only with breakfast) for one month. After 3 months reduce to 1,000 to 2,000 mcg a day (with breakfast). Read very important and interesting article on VITAMIN B12 >
– Every day, about 30 minutes before breakfast, take 1-2 full tablespoons of mixture of super greens that should include some or all of the following (ideally organic) powders: Chlorella, Spirulina, Barley grass, Wheat grass, Alfalfa, Moringa, Turmeric, Bee Pollen, and Maca (most important among them are Chlorella and Spirulina, plus either Barley grass or Wheat grass). You may also buy them separately and mix at home. Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture with warm water or a vegetable juice (the only good fruit juice you can use is a 100% grapefruit juice) about 30 minutes before breakfast. If you don’t like powders or taste of the mixture you can have about 10-20 tablets (500mg each) of chlorella and 10-20 tablets of organic spirulina every day about 30 minutes before breakfast with 1-2 glasses of water, fresh vegetable juice or a smoothie. Super greens are excellent sources of best quality protein, chlorophyll, natural iron, iodine, EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and trace elements that are often missing in commercially grown foods. Chlorella, Spirulina, Wheat grass (it’s gluten-free), and barley grass powder, like cold-pressed vegetable juices and raw vegetables, should be the most important and always present ingredients of your diet! The above mentioned super foods can be taken two times a day but most important is to consume them before breakfast. If you take them before or instead of the second main meal (probably not later than 2pm) make sure you don’t do it too late as chlorophyll is a powerful energy booster and in case of some individuals it may make it more difficult to fall asleep.
– Take 1 teaspoon of fresh raw organic ground Turmeric two or three times a day with meals, or include turmeric in the mentioned above mixture of super foods. If you don’t like the taste take organic turmeric in vegan capsules at least 3 times 1-2 capsules with meals.
– Hot and cold alternative showers 2 x a day. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! See HYDROTHERAPY >
– One of the most powerful remedies against meningitis is Hot Foot Bath >. Before bed keep your feet in hot water plus very cold compress on forehead and neck and a lot of water to drink as you should sweat a lot. Watch this VIDEO >
NUTRITIONAL AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
– Often consume foods which increase levels of Glutathione (king of all antioxidants): Asparagus, Okra, Garlic, Onions, Rice bran, Mangosteen, Chlorella, fresh Dandelion leaves and fresh Nettle leaves (rinsed with very hot water to prevent stinging), Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Maca, Turmeric, Lentils, Parsley leaves, Collard greens, Kale, Brazil nuts, Mustard greens, Radish, Turnip, Watercress, Bok Choy, Rosemary, Berries, Avocado, Peaches, Watermelon, Beets, etc.
Keep in mind that cooking (heating) reduces the glutathione content of vegetables by 30-60%! Canning is even worse as it almost completely destroys glutathione!
– Avoid foods with refined sugar as it makes leukocytes behave like drunken soldiers. Also white flour products weaken immune system because they are quickly converted to sugar.
– Avoid or significantly reduce consumption of cheese & dairy. They weaken immune system and are mucus producing making symptoms worse.
– Until complete recovery avoid everything which weakens immune system: Milk and all dairy products, cheese, pizza, chocolate, traditional ice creams, refined sugar and foods containing sugar, breakfast cereals, high fructose/glucose syrup, antibiotics, stimulants, pessimism, refined foods, white flour products, white rice, etc.
– The only oil to use is raw coconut oil as it can kill bacteria.
– Eat more raw vegetables, cabbage family vegetables, carrots, onion, garlic, etc.
– In case of treatment-ressistant cases go on Hallelujah diet for 3-6 months or even longer.
– Stress control and positive thinking is crucial for strong immunity.
– Drinking plenty of water and herbal teas.
– Every day include in your diet the 5 CRITICAL and MOST POWERFUL SUPER FOODS:
1. Fresh raw sprouts;
2. Freshwater algae (chlorella, spirulina);
3. Super grasses (barley grass, alfalfa, wheat grass);
4. Fresh cold pressed vegetable juices;
5. Fresh raw organic ground turmeric.
Please read this extremely important part (LINK) very carefully as it reveals the secret of finding true source of strength necessary to overcome bad habits and will help you to gain a powerful motivation to not only practice but also enjoy the new and very healthy way of life.
– Address the excess stress that weakens your immune system and wore out adrenals. Learn to control stress by exercise, plant based unrefined mostly raw diet, good quality supplements, morning and evening meditation (prayer) and reading the Bible (starting from the Gospel of John). Read about MOTIVATION > to learn more about it. From my own experience I know that it is the most effective way to cope with stress including existential fears which are the part of our nature.
– In order to speed up the recovery it is crucial to implement principles included in HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
– Linus Pauling, Vitamin C and the Common Cold, p. 38, 84
– Yejin Kim, Hyemin Kim, Seyeon Bae, et al (2013) Immune Netw. 2013 Apr; 13(2): 70–74
– The Telegraph, G. Michael Allan, MD and Bruce Arroll, MB ChB PhD (2014) Prevention and treatment of the common cold: making sense of the evidence. 28 Jan 2014 CMAJ. 2014 Feb 18
– Singh M1, Das RR (2013) Zinc for the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Jun 18;(6)
– V Vetvicka, J Vetvickova (2014) Immune-enhancing effects of Maitake.
– Propolis: Otolaryngologia Polska 1989;43(3):180-4.
– Propolis: Isr Med Assoc J 2002 Nov;4(11 Suppl):923-7.
– Propolis: Int Immunopharmacol. 2004 Jul;4(7):975-82.
– Propolis: Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2007 Mar 15;116(1-2):79-84.
– Echinacea: Daily Mail 10/10/2012
– Melchart D, Linde K, Fischer P (2000) Echinacea for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD000530.
– Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMJ 2017; 356 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6583 (Published 15 February 2017): http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i658
– NHS: The new guidelines on vitamin D – what you need to know, Thursday July 21 2016: https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/the-new-guidelines-on-vitamin-d-what-you-need-to-know/
– Nantz MP1, Rowe CA, Muller CE, Creasy RA, Stanilka JM, Percival SS. (2016). Supplementation with aged garlic extract improves both NK and γδ-T cell function and reduces the severity of cold and flu symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled nutrition intervention. Clin Nutr. 2012 Jun;31(3):337-44. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2011.11.019. Epub 2012 Jan 24.
– Josling P1. (2001). Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement: a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey. Adv Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;18(4):189-93.
– Astragalus: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/the-cold-remedy-that-actually-works-20160316
Share this article!
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved