Written by Slawomir (“Swavak“) Gromadzki, MPH
Although today overweight and obesity is much more common problem there are many individuals who ask how to gain weight as their body weight is below normal.
POSSIBLE CAUSES OF UNDERWEIGHT
– Fast metabolism.
– Deficiency of digestive enzymes and stomach acid. It leads to poor digestion and absorption of fats, proteins and carbs.
– Gluten sensitivity.
– Intestinal parasites.
– Candida albicans overgrowth.
– Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid).
– Zinc deficiency (without zinc protein digestion is disturbed).
– IBS and Crohn’s disease may also lead to weight loss.
– Fast eating without chewing food properly and long enough.
– Bulimia or Anorexia.
– Cancer and other chronic conditions.
First of all, do your best to find out whether you suffer from any of the above listed conditions. If you do go to the DISEASES, find appropriate subject and deal with the problem according to the information and recommendations included there.
– Check if you free from Intestinal parasites >
– Treat Candida albicans overgrowth >
– Treat Depression >
– Treat Anorexia >
In addition, try to implement the following principles:
– Eat very slowly chewing food properly!
– Select high in calorie yet healthy foods such as: organic nut butters, soaked overnight in water nuts and seeds (Brazil nuts, cashew nuts, etc.), cold-pressed olive oil and cold-pressed flax oil (avoid other oils and fats), avocados are excellent, pulses, organic cooked soya beans, Tofu, bananas, or dried fruits such as dates, figs (instead of products containing refined sugar), etc. If you eat meat and dairy use only meat and dairy from grass-fed animals.
– Take good quality supplement with digestive enzyme (they must include betaine and pancreatin, as deficiency of these enzymes is a frequent cause of underweight). Pancreatin is needed as its deficiency causes poor digestion and leads to weight loss. Candida (which may cause underweight) thrives in a lack of digestive enzymes, especially pancreatin and betaine, leading to weight loss.
– Use good quality probiotic formula (HealthAid > makes excellent quality probiotic formulas, Symprove is another good example) to increase number of good bacteria in your colon and the condition of intestines. It will improve the absorption of fats, proteins and carbs. – Take 1 heaped teaspoon of Bee pollen (“the only perfect food on earth” with meals. Use it alternatively with Royal jelly. “Orally, bee pollen is used for general nutrition, as an appetite stimulant, to improve stamina and athletic performance, for premature ageing, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), hay fever or allergic rhinitis, mouth sores, rheumatism, painful urination, prostate conditions, and radiation sickness. It is also used orally for weight loss and obesity, bleeding problems including coughing or vomiting blood, bloody diarrhoea, nosebleed, cerebral haemorrhage, and menstrual problems. Bee pollen is also used for gastrointestinal (GI) problems including constipation, diarrhoea, enteritis, colitis, as a general tonic, diuretic, and for alcohol intoxication. Topically, bee pollen is used for skin care in skin softening products, and for treating eczema, pustular eruptions, and diaper rash.”
– Take 20 to 50 mg of Zinc after breakfast as zinc deficiency is very common today and without this mineral protein can’t be properly digested. Lack of zinc may also contribute to allergic reactions and gluten sensitivity. Gluten sensitivity and allergies contribute to inflammation of the intestine which disturbs proper absorption of macronutrients.
– Brewer’s Yeast is rich in chromium, B vitamins, and minerals. It may help gain weight because it is very nutritious and due to the fact that it may increase appetite and helps to promote good bacterial growth in the intestine. You can take 3 tablets of Brewer’s Yeast before meals (or with smoothies) three times a day or two times 5 tablets(.
– Heal, detoxify and regenerate your gastrointestinal tract and whole body by taking Chlorella, Spirulina and other super foods. Use them alternatively or interchangeably. Go to “Remedies” and read about them in “Super foods“.
– Take good quality multivitamin-mineral (such as Healthy Mega by HealthAid >) formula after breakfast: 1 tablet after breakfast. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as Healthy Mega (HealthAid), VM75 (Solgar) or Special Two (NOW Foods) which are an excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formulas fortified with alfalfa powder, rutin, citrus bioflavonoids, bromelain, herbs, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. If your diet is very healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1/2 tablet after breakfast.
– Since Vitamin B complex (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, Folate) play very important role in dealing with appetite and metabolism I recommand getting B complex with a good quality multivitamin-mineral formula which is high in B vitamins. One of my favourite ones is Healthy Mega (HealthAid) as it is not only high in B vitamins and at the same time it contains zinc, selenium, herbs, digestive enzymes, micronutrients, and few super grasses. Compared with other popular formulas Healthy mega may contain even up to 60 times more vitamins per tablet!
– Try to take creatine to gain weight. It increases the water amount in muscles thus helping the body to retains more water. As a result you may get from 1 to 3 pounds weight gain in just one week. At the same time, by absorbing water in muscles, creatine boosts strength. The usual amount is 5 grams per day, but it is better to consult an expert before you decide to take more. If you start taking creatine, make sure you drink a lot of liquids because otherwise it can lead to dehydration. Since creatine increases metabolic rate your appetite should increase too. Combining it with a healthy and high in calories meal, especially after workout, may help to increase body weight.
– Mix ground fenugreek with raw honey or Manuka honey and take 1 teaspoon of the mixture before every meal. In my former country (Poland) some farmers often mixed some fenugreek with food to fatten animals as fenugreek was improving absorption of protein and fat. Apart from that, fenugreek is very healthy and gives many benefits.
– You may also use Centaurium tincture as it is the best herb to regulate acidity of stomach and improve digestion.
– Learn to control stress.
– Eat your food very slowly and always at the same time! Do not eat more than three meals a day. Just try to eat more healthy caloric foods during those three meals. In this way your stomach and gastrointestinal tract will have some time to rest and regenerate themselves and the digestion and absorption will be improved. If you consume many meals a day, as some suggest, your gastrointestinal tract never rests and won’t work efficiently!
– Eliminate gluten and sugar from your diet! Eat plenty of fresh and dried fruits instead.
TO IMPROVE APPETITE USE:
– Bee pollen and Royal jelly.
– Take 200 to 400 mg of Magnesium as poor appetite may be caused by magnesium deficiency!
– Spirulina, Chlorella
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.