(LATERAL CUTANEOUS FEMORAL NERVE ENTRAPMENT SYNDROME)
Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Meralgia paresthetica (lateral cutaneous femoral nerve entrapment syndrome), is a condition characterized by numbness, tingling, and burning pain in the outer thigh.
It is caused by compression of the sensory nerve to the skin on the anterior and lateral thigh.
There are many different factors that can lead to this condition including diabetes (as it leads to nerve injury), medications (such as statins) can also cause neurological damage, tight belts, tight clothing, overweight and obesity, pregnancy, local injury, surgery, etc.
In most cases, Meralgia paresthetica can be treated or relieved by eliminating the causes such as statins and wearing looser clothing, looser belts, recovery from diabetes, reducing body weight, etc.
If you are on statins and there is a reason to believe this drug caused Meralgia if possible try to slowly reduce intake of statins and at the same time manage cholesterol levels by using harmless supplements such as Colestroforte, Niacin (vitamin B3) and cholesterol lowering diet. See my article which explains how to lower and cholesterol using natural remedies and diet. >
– In order to increase the effectiveness of the treatment and shorten the time of recovery take some anti-inflammatory natural remedies such as Turmeric, Boswellia, Omega-3 750mg (HealthAid), ground Flax seed, Swedish bitters, etc.
– To reduce pain take about 250 mg (4 times 60,000 IU) a day of Serrapeptase regarded as the best natural pain killer which also has anti-inflammatory properties .
In addition, if the nerve was damaged by untreated diabetes (high blood sugar levels) or any physical injury, or surgery, you need to help the body to regenerate the injured nerve, by using following remedies:
– Chlorella: Since Chlorella is a powerful detoxifier and energy booster it is better to start with a smaller dose such as 1 teaspoon or 3 tablets 30 minutes before breakfast and the same amount 30 minutes before lunch with 2 glasses of water, vegetable juice or smoothie. Then gradually increase the intake every day (by approximately 1 tablet) until reaching the maximum dose of 2 or 3 heaped tablespoons or 10 – 20 tablets (500mg) 30 min before breakfast and the same amount 30 min before lunch. Altogether you can take 2-6 round tablespoons or about 20-40 tablets (500mg per tablet) of chlorella a day. The dose of course also depends on age and body weight. After three months instead of Chlorella use Clean Greens powder – another wonderful formula (also by Pukka) for two or three months and then come back to Chlorella.
– Methylcobalamin form of vitamin B12 (must be sublingual) – 2,000 mcg under the tongue only after breakfast. Vitamin B12 supplements help in reducing burning and tingling sensation but it must be in the form of sublingual methylcobalamin and not Cyanocobalamin.
– Alpha lipoic acid acid – 3 x 200 mg before meals.
– Read about PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY > in order to learn how to cure damaged nerves.
– Vitamin D3: 40,000 to 60,000 IU a day with meal for at least one month. After that 20,000 IU a day. High doses of this vitamin may quickly help to reduce the pain and inflammation. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency.
– Magnesium citrate or another well absorbed magnesium: 2 times a day 200-400 mg between meals. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency.
– Multivitamin-mineral formula: 1 tablet after breakfast. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as Healthy Mega (HealthAid) which is an excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formula fortified with alfalfa, rutin, citrus bioflavonoids, golden seal, bromelain, PABA, herbs, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. Other formulas such as VM75 (Solgar) or Special Two (NOW Foods) are good too. If your diet is very healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1/2 tablet after breakfast.
Healthy Mega (HealthAid) is one of my favourite multivitamin-mineral supplement also because it is very high in B vitamins. Compared with other popular formulas Healthy mega may contain even up to 60 times more vitamins per tablet!
At the same time read carefully the Health Recovery Plan and do your must to implement all the principles until recovery. Most important, make sure every day you include in your diet: Fresh cold-pressed vegetable juices, fresh raw sprouts, and raw vegetable salads. In addition, you must avoid or significantly reduce intake of all animal foods (meat, dairy), sugar, refined foods, processed foods, stimulants (coffee, tea, other caffeinated products, chocolate, alcohol, smoking etc.).
– Comfrey (Symphytum officinale). Comfrey is one of the most effective remedies for external use I know and recommended many times often with great results. It is used on the skin to treat wounds, ulcers, and heal bruises as well as pulled muscles and ligaments. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also very effective in regenerating damaged tissues and treating painful conditions such as backaches.
Comfrey compress: In order to prepare a Comfrey compress you need to make a strong tea or concoction. Take about 4 tablespoons of comfrey root or leaf and place it in about 1 litre of boiling hot water. Cover it and steep or simmer for at least 30 minutes (simmering will make the tea stronger). Strain, soak a clean cloth or gauze in this strong comfrey water extract (concoction) and apply directly to the affected painful area of the body that need treatment leaving it overnight or at least two hours (the longer the better). Make sure the compress is wet all the time. In order to prevent it from drying cover it with cling film or another material. Do it in the morning and evening or at least once a day until the pain is gone.
You can also try comfrey oil or cream.
Unfortunately, this excellent herb has been demonised and effectively discouraged many from using it even externally due to some biased and controversial animal studies. According to those studies, taken orally, Comfrey is supposed to be toxic to the liver and as a result is no longer sold in many countries except in creams or ointments. Read more about it here >
– Active oil (Pukka) for external use. Massage it softly into the skin of painful area at least 2-3 times a day. Active 35 oil is based on the Mahanaryan oil blend, one of the most powerful massage oils in history.
– Water treatments should be performed every day, especially alternative heat and ice therapy. It is very effective in easing pain and removing inflammation. Alternative hot and cold treatment will also improve blood circulation, elimination of toxins, will stimulate regeneration, and improve working of the nervous and immune system. Apart from that, it increases the flow of healing oxygen and nutrients to the damaged area, and it suppresses pain signals sent to the brain.
Heat treatment should be cooled with ice. Back pain almost always comes with some level of inflammation, and ice is the best natural way to reduce it. Ice also helps by acting as a local anaesthetic, and by slowing nerve impulses, which interrupts the pain signals in the affected area. Ice, however, should be applied after prolonged hot treatment.
Start with heat first (hot water bottle, electric heating pad, hot shower, hot towel compress, or hot bath) and after about 5 minutes, when the treated area is warm enough, apply an ice pack or any very cold treatment (shower, compress, etc.) for about 3 to 5 min. Then alternate the hot and cold application (3-5 min each), back and forth 5-7 times in a row.
Apply an alternative hot compress and ice pack on affected area. Start from hot compress (or shower) for about 2 to 3 min and after that use and ice pack or a very cold compress (or very cold shower) for about 2-3 min and keep on doing these hot and cold applications alternatively for about 30 minutes. This natural remedy is very effective in eliminating pain and increasing blood circulation in the effected area.
Find out more about HYDROHERAPY >
– In order to speed up the recovery implement principles included in HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN >
If you suffer from diabetes or prediabetes learn how to effectively lower blood sugar level and recover from DIABETES >
Share this article to save lives and bring relief to the suffering!