Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
I am surprised how often in recent years I meet men of different ages who ask me how to recover from erectile dysfunction (ED). It is estimated that today about half of all men in developed countries may suffer from this condition.
Under normal circumstances, whenever a man becomes sexually aroused, the nerves in penis (stimulated by signals sent by brain) increase the blood flow, causing the tissue in penis to expand and harden. There are, however, many factors that may interfere with proper functioning of the nervous system and the penile blood circulation eventually leading to erectile dysfunction. Also anything that affects the libido or level of sexual desire can contribute to ED as it mkes more difficult for the brain to trigger an erection.
Usually whenever a man asks about causes of his ED he is told that it is mainly stress, negative mental attitude and emotions that should be blamed for creating the problem. And although it is true that it may contribute to ED there are more important causes that most of the men suffering from ED are not aware of.
– There is enough scientific evidence to conclude that there are three following key causes of Erectile Dysfunction:
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) – 40%
- Diabetes – 30%
- Medication – 15%. (Check list of drugs linked to erectile dysfunction >)
These three causes are responsible for 85% of all cases of ED, while neurological causes make up only 5%!
The main physiological cause of ED is poor blood circulation in penis. And this problem is created especially by the Coronary Artery Disease. It means that the hardened, damaged, enflamed and clogged by cholesterol arteries are mostly responsible for ED.
But, since we know very well that CAD and diabetes are mostly caused by unhealthy, refined, and high in sugar, bad fats and animal foods (meat and dairy) diet we can conclude that the same dietary factors lead also to ED.
It simply means that the “instrument”, so many men with ED are ashamed of today, is their best friend as through the ED it constantly tries to warn them pointing to the fact that they already developed CAD and that they have to improve their lifestyle and diet because otherwise sooner or later they may die from heart attack or stroke!
Why erectile dysfunction of penis is the first sign of coronary artery disease even though you do not yet experience any symptoms in your heart? It is so because arteries in penis are much smaller than the coronary arteries found in the heart. So although in the heart the cholesterol plague is also growing yet because those arteries are larger you don’t feel any signs yet.
But look at the next (marked) quote which comes from the American Heart Journal:
Wow! It means that men between 40 and 50 years of age with ED have 50-fold (which is equivalent of 5,000%) higher risk of heart attack or stroke than those without ED! Can there be any higher risk than that? If there is 20 or 30% higher risk scientists make a big noise about it. But here you have 5000%!!! It is actually not a risk it is atherosclerosis! So please my dear Friend, listen to what your penis is trying to tell you and start doing something about it now!
In 2012 a group of scientists wrote a special following guidelines for managing ED:
Many men think that they can eat junk food and just take a pill to improve erection, but although sometimes it helps, yet it never eliminate the true cause of the problem, causes many dangerous side effects and sooner or later it stops working.
So, please be wise and keep in mind that if you don’t improve your lifestyle and diet all the Viagra in the whole world may not help you after you die out of heart attack or stroke!
According to a title of another scientific publication, Erectile Dysfunction (ED) equals Early Death (ED):
– The second after CAD cause of ED is chronic high blood sugar or diabetes:
Diabetes contributes to ED because high blood glucose levels damage small blood vessels found in penis. Those damaged tiny blood vessels are unable to provide nutrients to the nerve cells in penis and as a result they die causing impaired penile nerve signalling. In addition, diabetes also lead to ED because it lowers Nitric oxide levels inside arteries:
– Apart from CAD and diabetes, also medication greatly contributes to ED. Here you can check the list of drugs linked to erectile dysfunction >
– Other important causes of ED include bad refined and high in sugar, fat, oils, an animal foods diet, stress, lack of physical activity and use of popular stimulants (caffeine, alcohol, cola, chocolate, smoking, and drugs).
– Another very important and usually forgotten possible cause of ED can be frequent masturbation and other excessive sexual practices that lead to overstimulation of prostate gland and testicles as well as to zinc and dopamine deficiency. On the other hand, some specialists maintain that also infrequent sex (probably less than once a week) may increase the risk of ED too.
– Other factors which may contribute to ED include: Low testosterone, and also the psychological element in the form of anxiety, depression or fear.
– Since, very common today, vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) deficiency may damage the nerves found in penis it also contributes to ED. In addition, vitamin B12 also support healthy circulation to promote strong erections. Read a very interesting article on vitamin B12 >
– Low serotonin levels caused by poor diet (deficiency of tryptophan, zinc, magnesium, vitamin B6 and folate), physical inactivity and lack of sunlight.
– Toxins, free radicals, harmful radiation.
– Unhealthy, refined diet high in sugar and bad fats.
– Genetic abnormalities.
– Negative past sexual experiences, fear of failure, relationship problems, etc.
– Nutritional deficiencies. One of the main physical causes of ED may be vitamin and mineral deficiencies, especially Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D and B-vitamins.
– The most important element of the treatment is lifestyle and diet according to the HEALTH RECOVERY PLAN > as it deals with any possible causes of the ED and other health conditions.
– Address the key cause of ED which is the coronary artery disease (CAD) by avoiding animal foods containing meat, milk, dairy products, and eggs. Please don’t get deceived by so called scientific studies which were supposed to demonstrate that dietary cholesterol found in animal foods such as eggs or dairy does not raise blood cholesterol as those studies were sponsored by egg or dairy industry! Here you can read more about this subject >
If you want to reverse ED you simply need to improve blood circulation through removing cholesterol from penile blood vessels and by improving their elasticity. And this goal you can easily achieve by going on a plant-based (or about 85% plant-based) unrefined and 50% raw diet. If you are addicted to animal foods and can’t live without them you may try very good mostly plant-based Dr Joel Fuhrman diet >. It’s not as effective as for example Hallelujah Diet but in this case it should work too.
The first scientist who scientifically proved that vegan diet can reverse CHD was Dr Dean Ornish. He was not the first who taught it as decades before he did that many others (including myself) promoted vegan diet as the most effective way of reversing CHD, CAD or type two diabetes.
There are many foods, herbal remedies, and supplements which are very effective in lowering cholesterol and reversing CAD. One of them is vitamin B3 (Niacin):
The above statement dealing with a study on vitamin B3 (Niacin) is just another proof that ED is linked to the high cholesterol as this vitamin has been known for a very long time as one of the best ways to lower cholesterol.
Since healthy blood circulation in penis is absolutely crucial for proper erection, not only CAD but also diabetes (high blood glucose levels) greatly contribute to ED because prolonged and untreated high blood sugar levels damage small blood vessels. For this reason you need to check your blood sugar a few times to make sure it is normal. If it is elevated or if you are already diagnosed with diabetes and are on medication, go to DISEASES section of this website and study the excellent article on type two diabetes >. If you manage to implement the principles and use remedies listed there in one or two months you should be free from diabetes and in this way you will improve also the erectile function.
– Instead of Viagra and other harmful drugs improve your diet and lifestyle and try natural methods because they help to eliminate the cause of the problem and don’t cause side effects. According to Dr Joseph Mercola, “Aside from the risk of dying and increasing the risk of retinal dysfunction, the biggest drawback to Viagra is the high cost, which can range upwards of $10 per pill. “
“Fortunately,” says the same author, “there is a safer, less expensive and more natural way to achieve many of the actions to Viagra. The key is L-arginine, the direct precursor to nitric oxide…”
No men in the world use more Viagra as Americans. But although Viagra works by increasing blood flow in penis it is not able to reverse the problem as it doesn’t eliminate the true cause of ED (which is CAD, diabetes and medication). Viagra and other drugs only temporarily help to reduce symptoms and at the same time cause side effects including headaches, gastro-intestinal problems or visual disturbances.
The same effect, however, can be achieved in a harmless way by lowering cholesterol in blood vessels through improved diet and by increased nitric oxide production in blood vessels. Nitric oxide is made from L-arginine, and the highest nutritional source of L-arginine are nuts, especially wall nuts, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, and cashew nuts. The next source are sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Also Spirulina, pistachios, soybeans, pumpkin seeds and peanuts are high in L-arginine.
Researchers also found out that citrulline – a compound found especially in watermelon – can improve erection by increasing arginine levels and thus also nitric oxide which relaxes and dilates penile arteries improving blood circulation.
In one study men with ED eating about 3 handfuls of pistachio nuts a day significantly improved erectile function in just 3 weeks! Also Dr Michael Greger (whose statements are always based on scientific data) says that apart from watermelon pistachio nuts are helpful in coping with ED:
Dr Greger also suggests to avoid food or water stored in plastic containers as they are contaminated with thousands of dangerous chemicals.
We know that found in plastic bisphenols (especially BPA) may contribute to ED. BPA, BPS and all the rest of bisphenols (there are about 15 of them) contribute to hormonal imbalance, cancer and other health problems. Please keep in mind that it’s not only plastic containers that are contaminated with bisphenols but also canned foods as they are often lined with BPA-contained plastic. Apart from that, also toilet paper and thermally printed receipts contain the same chemical. When we touch receipts and then eat food with unwashed fingers we contaminate the food with traces of bisphenols too.
So, bisphenols found in water stored in plastic bottles contribute to erectile dysfunction and hormonal imbalance while the estradiol in tap water may contribute to the same and to prostate cancer!
– Increase serotonin levels by exercise, sunlight, L-tryptophan, zinc, magnesium, folic acid, vitamin B6, and consuming complex carbohydrates instead of refined ones. Read more about most effective ways to boost serotonin >.
– One of the causes of ED might be Andropause and low testosterone. And in order to boost testosterone you need a lot of zinc. Unfortunately due to soil depletion, deprived of zinc refined diet and use of popular stimulants almost every man is today deficient in zinc. The situation is made even much worse by frequent ejaculation as semen is very high in zinc. For this reason you need to avoid masturbation and other excessive sexual practices resulting in frequent ejaculation and overstimulation of sex organs. Masturbation is a common sexual addiction that affects men and leads to ED during sexual intercourse with real partner. If you feel it is your problem go to MASTURBATION & SEX ADDICTION and read also about EMPOWERMENT and the GOSPEL OF FREEDOM as it will show you the best way of succesfull coping with this and any other addictions.
In addition to zinc deficiency and ED frequent masturbation and other excessive sexual practices lead to many other health problems: “Frequent ejaculation leads to deficiency of dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, DHEA, testosterone, acetylcholine, thyroid hormones, zinc, prostaglandin E-1. The damage results in hair loss, erectile dysfunction & symptoms of prostate problems including enlarged prostate, frequent urination, semen leakage, etc. By depleting serotonin frequent ejaculation also causes lack of melatonin (made from serotonin). Deficiency of melatonin results in especially sleeping problems. Over-conversion of testosterone into DHT leads to excessive DHT binding to the root of hair cells, blocking them from growing and cutting off supplies of nutrients and proteins, causing the hair to become thin and eventually stop growing altogether.”
– Learn to control stress.
– Exercise every day for 30 to 60 min.
– If your ED seems to be ressistant to treatment try Hallelujah diet > for 6 months.
HERBAL REMEDIES EFFECTIVE IN TREATING ED
– Rhodiola: Scientific studied proved it helped to improve in premature ejaculation and weak erection:
– Ashwagandha: “Ashwagandha, known as Indian ginseng, has been used for centuries to cure various problems of male health including ED and premature ejaculation. It is known to restore sex drive and endurance. The herb allows the blood to flow more freely during sexual arousal by relaxing the body. This is definitely a huge benefit to ED sufferers. The rich properties of the herb can greatly help in improving both mental as well as physical health that allows man to last longer in bed. Moreover, ashwagandha is proved to be very useful in re-energizing all the internal organs and systems of the body. In addition to uncontrollable ejaculation, ashwagandha herb can also treat other sexual disorders like erectile dysfunction and impotence too.”
– Keep in mind that mercury attacks your precious testosterone! You therefore need to remove mercury from your body by avoiding fish, removing amalgam (silver) fillings, drinking only distilled water, and taking Chlorella every day especially before breakfast (20 tablets or 1-2 tablespoons with liquid). Read more about amazing benefits of CHLORELLA >
– Also increasing glutathione is one of your body’s natural testosterone protectors. Discover the most effective ways to BOOST GLUTATHIONE >
– Hops might be helpful too. It is present in Stress formula by Vogel (Hops & Valerian root).
– If anxiety and stress are among the factors that cause premature ejaculation then apart from Hops also Avena sativa (Oat straw extract) might be helpful.
– Other herbal remedies which are also believed to be beneficial in healing ED include: Angelica, Tribulus terrestris, Ginseng, Avena sativa, White onions, Ginkgo biloba, Centaurium, Almond milk, Ginger.
SUPPLEMENTS EFFECTIVE IN TREATING ED
– Zinc: 50 mg after breakfast.
– Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 2 times 500mg with meals.
– Vitamin B12 in the form of Methylcobalamin (must be sublingual): 2000 mcg under the tongue only after breakfast.
– Vitamin B6 (for better results use P5P form of this vitamin): 100mg with meal.
– Folic acid (for better results use L-methylfolate form of this vitamin): 800mcg with meal (L-methylfolate is regarded as superior to Folic Acid as it is the final form of the vitamin. Folic acid in order to become L-methylfolate, has to go through four-step process. Unfortunately, since some people may lack the ability to break down Folic Acid, it is much better to use L-methylfolate).
– Multivitamin-mineral formula with high strenhht Vitamin B-complex: 1 tablet after breakfast. Please do not buy cheap formulas as their potency is very low and they contain only short list of inorganic ingredients. It must be a good quality formula such as Healthy Meaga (HealthAid), VM75 (Solgar) or Special Two (NOW Foods) which are excellent multi-vitamin and mineral formulas fortified with alfalfa powder, rutin, citrus bioflavonoids, bromelain, herbs, super grasses, digestive enzymes and many other super nutrients. Take no more than 2 tablets daily, preferably with breakfast. If your diet is relatively healthy and you stay away from refined foods, sugar and stimulants then take only 1 after breakfast.
Since Vitamin B complex (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, Folate) play very important role in balancing hormones I recommand getting B complex with a good guality multivitammin-mineral formula which is high in B vitamins. One of my favourite ones is Healthy Mega (HealthAid) as it is not only high in B vitamins and at the same time it contains zinc, selenium, herbs, digestive enzymes, micronutrients, and few super grasses. Compared with other popular formulas Healthy mega may contain even up to 60 times more vitamins per tablet!
– Vitamin D3: 30,000 IU a day. You must also take 2 x 400-800 mg of good magnesium as vitamin D leads to its deficiency. Vitamin D is actually a hormone – one that is partially responsible for the production of testosterone. It was shown, that the more vitamin D the men had in their blood, the higher their testosterone levels. German scientists discovered that athletes made better progression in the season when they had high vitamin D levels in their blood. Almost every person in England is deficient in vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for human nervous system and it also assists in the prevention of osteoporosis brought on by the menopause. Vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures. While taking vitamin D3 supplements always remember to take also well absorbed magnesium (such as citrate) as vitamin D supplements lead to magnesium deficiency over time. If you can’t afford higher doses take at least 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 a day with meal. But since deficiency of this vitamin is so widespread (especially in the UK) it would be better to take 20,000 to 30,000 or even 50,000 IU a day with meals with appropriate doses of magnesium (50,000 IU shouldn’t be taken longer than 2 months). Another requirement for proper absorption of vitamin D is 200 mcg of Vitamin K2 MK-7 (Derived from Natural Natto) a day. Read more about vitamin D >
– MAGNESIUM citrate or another well absorbed magnesium: 2 times a day 200-400 mg between meals. The more vitamin D3 is used the more magnesium must be taken as D3 leads to magnesium deficiency. Magcitra (HealthAid) > is an excellent magnesium citrate as it is high in elemental magnesium. Studies demonstrated that Magnesium and Vitamin B-6 improve testosteron levels.
– Ground Flax seed or soaked Chia seeds are very helpful too as they are regarded as the best source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of Chia seed with water or fruit juice or plant-based milk every morning for at least 30 to 60 minutes and eat it with your breakfast and / or lunch.
– L-arginine. Some evidence shows that taking high doses improves erectile dysfunction by stimulating blood vessels to open wider for improved blood flow. Don’t take L-arginine with Viagra.
TESTOSTERON BOOSTERS: Pomegranate, Holy Basil (Tulsi), Rhodiola, Grapes, Garlic, Almonds, Cabbage, Beans, Nuts, Broccoli, DHEA, Chlorella, Tribulus, Avocado, Good Oils, Coconut Oil, Nettle Leaf, Oat Straw, Avena sativa, Resveratrol, Horny goat weed, D-aspartic acid, Saw palmetto, Spirulina, Vitamin D3, Zinc, etc.
Ginseng and Liquorice should be probably avoided if you suffer from hypertension as they both may increase blood pressure. However, they do not cause this effect in every person so you need to test them by starting from smaller doses.
– Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) is also awesome for men’s health including ED.
Try to implement the following lifestyle and dietary principles and use as many of the listed here natural remedies, super foods and supplements as possible and you will be very happy again:
Lower blood levels of: homocysteine, cholesterol, blood glucose.
Go on low-fat high-fibre unrefined plant-based diet (Hallelujah diet is most effective) or Dr Fuhrman diet (it includes small amount of animal foods).
Take the following supplements: B3, B6, B12, Folate, Zinc, D3, Mg, L-Arginine.
Eat more: Pistachios, Watermelon, Maca powder, ground Flax seed, nuts, seeds.
Use: Ginseng, Rhodiola, Ashwaganda, Horny Goat Weed, Ginkgo biloba, Chlorella, Antioxidants (NAC, Alpha lipoic acid, Q10, etc.).
Aerobic exercise every day.
Learn to control stress.
Avoid: Masturbation, caffeine, tea, alcohol, sugar, animal foods, bad oils, margarines, refined foods.
Drink more water (distilled is the best).
Please keep in mind that herbal remedies do not always work quickly so in order to see the results sometimes patience is required.
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved
Share this website to save lives and bring relief to the suffering!