CANDIDA OVERGROWTH, CANDIDA ALBICANS, CANDIDIASIS,
THRUSH, YEAST INFECTION, FUNGAL INFECTIONS
Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
Candida albicans is a fungi that live in our bodies. Normally, candida causes no harm if our bodies are equipped with probiotic (friendly) bacteria and strong immune system that keep candida under control. However, antibiotics, some medications, high-sugar diets, weak immunity, stress, zinc deficiency, allergies, and other factors can all cause the friendly bacteria to die, leaving candida free to grow unchecked causing many different symptoms.
Fatigue, headaches, thrush, vaginal infections, fogginess in the morning upon waking (brain fog), digestive complaints, skin problems, etc.
Thrush is marked by soft white patches in the oral cavity, around the anus, or on the skin. It most often appears in babies and the elderly, but people with seriously compromised immune systems—such as those who have AIDS or who are undergoing chemotherapy—are also quite vulnerable.
A vaginal yeast infection, by far the more common manifestation of candidiasis, causes burning, itching, and soreness in the vagina, along with a thick, sticky discharge. It’s often the result of antibiotic use, poor diet, hormone imbalance, or a combination of these causes.
Candida can even penetrate throughout the bowel wall, passing into the bloodstream and through the body. Once this happens, it can cause depression, extreme fatigue, and a ‘hung over’ feeling in the morning.
Occasionally the fungus spreads throughout the entire body causing a condition known as systemic candidiasis. This disorder can produce any of a wide variety of symptoms and is often at the root of a persistent, mysterious illness. If you feel sick but are told by doctors that nothing is wrong, there’s a good chance that you’re actually suffering from systemic candidiasis. For people with dramatically weakened immune systems, systemic candidiasis is a grave threat, as the fungus can actually poison the blood.
– Diet high in sugar, cheese, pizza, refined products, junk food, or dairy products. In order to grow, Candida generally causes a craving for certain foods that feed it such as sugar, white flour products, yeast and pasteurised cow’s milk products.
– Prolonged or frequent use of antibiotics or corticosteroids that kill beneficial probiotic bacteria in the gut is one of the most common causes of Candida overgrowth and thrush.
– Oral contraceptives (birth control pills) imbalance the gut in the same way as antibiotics giving Candida an open door to take control.
– Adrenal insufficiency and diabetes have also been cited as factors which encourage Candidiasis. Such an overgrowth leads to Candida becoming a parasitic fungus that can have numerous effects on overall health.
– Also poor digestion, weak immune system, stress, hormonal imbalance, toxins, nutritional deficiencies, and some other factors may contribute to the overgrowth of candida.
– One of the obvious steps is to eliminate or cut down on simple sugars, alcohol, and so on, which feed yeast. Also, direct therapy that destroys candida works to assist the body in getting candida levels down to a controllable level. Examples include oregano oil and garlic. However, many chronic cases require a change in the biological terrain. By this, we mean the state and the health of the digestive tract, the organs of detoxification and elimination, the immune system, and hormone balance. In particular, one often needs to improve digestion and elimination. The by-products of poor digestion can form metabolites that can promote candida growth. Leaky gut syndrome, as the result of intestinal permeability, is often a root problem of chronic candida. It is also imperative to promote the growth of the friendly flora that inhabit the digestive tract and many other areas of the body. These good bacteria are an essential component of the immune system’s presence that keeps yeast levels in check. Also, keep in mind that chronic stress can alter flora balance and can suppress immune function. And finally, hormone balance is important, especially for women. The use of the birth control pill or other forms of synthetic hormones may set the stage for candida overgrowth.
– It is crucial to avoid all refined carbohydrates such as sugar, white bread, white rice, pasta, cakes, and biscuits.
– Keep fresh fruit to a minimum such as one apple or pear a day plus one kiwi
– No over-ripe fruit, dried fruit, bananas, melon, or grapes – the natural sugar levels in these is too high. (After a few months all fruits may be eaten in moderation, such as 2 kiwis and an apple a day, or the equivalent in other fruit.
– No fruit juices, honey or artificial sweeteners. Stevia and Xylitol (prevents candida infections) are safe alternatives.
– No food additives, i.e. no processed food.
– Other foods excluded from the Candida Diet include vinegar, mushrooms, tea, coffee, dried fruit and any form of fruit juices.
– No cow’s milk or cow’s milk products including cheese and butter.
– Avoid all alcohol, margarine, refined and heated oils, hydrogenated fats as these compromise the immune system. If you want the occasional fried food use coconut oil, use a very low heat and keep a lid on the pan.
– No wheat or wheat products including bread, cakes, biscuits, flour and so on (except for non-yeasted spelt wheat bread, non-yeasted dark rye bread, and rice cakes,
– No microwave cooked food as this weakens the immune system.
– Avoid unfiltered tap water as the chlorine in tap water can turn healthy nutrients into cancer encouraging chemicals. Try to drink only distilled water.
– Most important recommended Food: Garlic, onions, leek, onion greens, fresh raw vegetables, raw vegetable juices, sprouts, raw coconut oil, such as beans, lentils, plant-based yogurts, sauerkraut (made from raw and not pasteurised cabbage), and miso.
– One of the most effective herbal remedies to keep Candida under control is Pau D’Arco (tincture or tea). According to Dr. Axe, “Pau d’Arco fights Candida, Cancer & Inflammation” >
– Zell Oxygen. Clinical studies in both animals and humans have shown that Zell Oxygen causes at least a 50-100 times decrease in the Candida population level; this substantial reduction is enough to prevent the harmful pathogenic effects of uncontrolled overgrowth. The Zell yeast takes over the terrain where Candida is resident, and at the same time improves cellular respiration and immune function; this completes the work in re-balancing the inner terrain. For a more detailed look at these studies and the other wonderful health effects of Zell Oxygen, please request the complimentary book “Oxygen-starvation syndromes, a role for Zell Oxygen” by Dr. Robert Buist. Start at about 4 dessertspoons daily for the first few weeks, then reduce to 2 dessertspoons daily after improvements have set in, but if you experiment, and feel better on 4 dessertspoons daily then it is expedient to continue at that dose for a longer period of time. Candida can be successfully eliminated with the anti-Candida diet, Wormwood and Zell-Oxygen, but in some cases may return later if the diet is relaxed and the Wormwood discontinued. If required, Wormwood use can be continued on a permanent basis after Candida has been cleared at a dose of one or two capsules daily. Continuing with Zell-Oxygen at a minimum of one dessertspoon daily, and also the healthiest diet possible, gives the body the best chance of preventing a return of the fungal stage of Candida and the devastating consequences of that. As Zell Oxygen has such a positive impact on health, many of our customers wouldn’t be without it, even when they have returned to vibrant health – please read the full Zell-Oxygen article for an in-depth look at this product. The use of Zell-Oxygen and Wormwood is an excellent protocol; however some people prefer a broad spectrum approach using Colloidal Silver at half a glass twice daily instead of the Wormwood. Olive Leaf Extract has also been shown to be effective against Candida, again a broad spectrum remedy with anti-oxidant effects. Please click the links for detailed articles on these products.
– Zinc and stomach acid deficiency can also contribute to the overgrowth of candida. Certain man experienced symptoms of severe candida overgrowth and discovered it was mostly caused by lack of zinc and low stomach acid. Taking zinc with hydrochloric acid tabs for a month fixed the problem. Without zinc, it is difficult for the stomach to produce enough acid. On the other hand, without the acid body can’t absorb the zinc. Once the man started taking zinc and improved acid production in the stomach, he could stopped taking the hydrochloric acid and continued with the zinc. The candida problem disappeared permanently.
– Chlorella and Spirulina has been shown to encourage and support the growth of healthy bacterial flora in your gut, which can help keep candida overgrowth under control.
– Clean Greens (Pukka) contains the highest quality, nutrient dense, green super foods, herbs, algae and other wonderful ingredients that promote the growth and reproduction of friendly bacteria.
– Barley Grass Juice Powder is also recommended in a natural Candida treatment. A whole food that raises overall health and contains many anti-oxidants and protective factors.
– Garlic Max (HealthAid) or Allicin Max with meals are the best garlic formulas that are effective in fighting candida overgrowth. Garlic lowers candida, fights fungal infections and also boosts immune strength. Please keep in mind that many garlic products such as odourless garlic, powders, oils wont be effective.
– Sacardi (containing Saccharomyces boulardii) or FemProbioby HealthAid or other Probiotic formulas – twice daily, thirty minutes after meals. It supplies friendly bacteria, which fight candida and prevent its overgrowth.
– Caprylic acid has been shown to have antifungal properties.
– Gentian root (Gentiana lutea) – 250 mg or 0.5 to 1.0 ml at the beginning of each meal. It improves stomach acid levels and overall digestive function.
– Bee Propolis, like garlic also helps to fight candida.
– Consume foods such as chlorella, spirulina, wheatgrass, and others that are known to support detoxification.
– Brewer’s yeast does not cause overgrowth of Candida albicans; in fact, it enhances the immune system, so add some to your salads and other dishes. Vegetable and green drinks will improve your resistance.
– Vitamin B12, B-complex.
– Wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium), is an anti-parasitic herb that has been used for many years as a digestive tonic. It is also effective in fighting Candida in the bowels.
– Evening Primrose oil or Borage oil (Star Flower oil) (together with Pau d’Arco).
– Siberian mixture for Candidiasis, fungal infections, weak immune system, insomnia, etc.: I was given this recipe from my Polish colleague who spent some time in Siberia. She said that it is a very effective remedy against candidiasis (thrush), fungus, insomnia and other sleeping problems. Apart from that, it also lowers bad cholesterol and triglycerides, regulates blood sugar level and blood pressure, boosts immune system, and kills bacteria, virus, or cancer cells. She said that as a result of using this remedy insomnia or other sleeping problems are usually gone in approximately 10 -12 days. Well, in case other natural methods fail I suggest you should try it and let me know whether she was right. In order to make this mixture you need two ingredients: fresh juice from 24 lemons and 400 grams of squeezed fresh raw garlic. Place both ingredients in a glass jar and mix them together. Cover the opening of the jar with a clean cloth and live it in a dark cool place for 14 days until the content ferments. After two weeks strain the fermented mixture pouring the liquid into smaller glass jars. Close them with lids and keep the jars in the fridge. Always shake before use and for insomnia take one teaspoon with a half glass of worm water about one hour before going to sleep. You should start experiencing the positive result after 10-12 days. After one month of using the mixture take a 7 days break and after that you can start using it again. After using it for 3 months you will need a whole month break. In this way it shouldn’t lose its effectiveness. You can use it also externally.
EFFECTIVE FORMULAS FOR EXTERNAL USE (FOR THRUSH AND VAGINAL INFECTIONS)
– Alliderm (Garlic gel).
– Bee propolis creme.
– Spilanthes (Vogel): Fungal skin infections, Athlete’s foot, Ringworm, Candida, Thrush.
Unfortunately, diet alone may not bring permanent healing. The paradox of the Candida Diet is that symptoms greatly diminish but the person doesn’t actually heal from the root cause of the problem which is often the leaky gut syndrome. Sometimes in order to recover from candidiasis permanently it is necessary to avoid other foods such as potato, yams and other starchy vegetables, and also grain based foods. The reason is that disaccharides, or double sugars, are present in many carbohydrates including all grains – not just gluten containing ones. An inflamed, imbalanced gut overridden with Candida is unable to digest double sugar molecules completely because the lack of beneficial gut flora has compromised the function of the enterocytes. According to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, author of Gut and Psychology Syndrome and one of the key scientists at the forefront of gut restoration research today, the enterocytes are the cells that reside on the villi of the gut wall and produce the enzyme disaccharidase which breaks down the disaccharide molecule into easily absorbed monosaccharide molecules. When the enterocytes are not nourished and strengthened properly by adequate beneficial flora, they become weak and diseased and may even turn cancerous. They do not perform their duties of digesting and absorbing food properly. Weak and diseased enterocytes also have trouble digesting starch molecules which are very large with hundreds of monosugars connected in long branchlike strands. People with weak digestion due to Candida overgrowth and messed up enterocytes have a terrible time digesting these complex molecules leaving large amounts of it undigested- the perfect food for pathogenic yeasts, bacteria, and fungi like Candida to thrive upon.
Sara wrote: “I am now mostly recovered from candida and I am a nutritional therapist. I agree with this article, that candida diets alone don’t always work. I was on one for 2 years, I even did anti fungals for a long time. I still had recurring vaginal yeast infections as soon as I ate a piece of fruit. I got rid of it by addressing the underlying causes of candida such as heavy metals, now I can eat fruit, drink a glass of wine and even have sugar on occasion and it doesn’t return! Candida is just a symptom, find the underlying cause.”
© 2016 Slawomir Gromadzki – All Rights Reserved
Share this article to bring relief to the suffering!
Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.