ALCOHOLISM – HOW TO STOP DRINKING
- Kudzu Root Extract (must be extract not powder). Here is a link to a good example but you need to do your own research >
- Milk thistle in liquid form – 2 x 10 drops with glass of water in between meals > Plus Milk Thistle Complex 60’s Tablets – 2 x a day 1 tablet with meals (will give you 160mg milk thistle but its standardised so its stronger and higher in active ingredient. Plus it contains many other ingredients you need) >
- Vitamin C: either powder – ½ teaspoon one or two times a day with meals > or 1500mg tablet 2 times a day with meals > (If you can afford it you can take much more vitamin C, even 10gr a day).
- Healthy Mega Prolonged Release Tablets (one of the best multivitamin-mineral formulas on the market. Don’t buy cheap ones as they are rubbish) – 1 after breakfast > (you don’t need B-complex as Healthy Mega is high in B vitamins) >
- Niacin > (The article below includes info on niacin)
Read about the the most important element of the treatment: MOTIVATION & EMPOWERMENT >
Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D.
Ever since I met Bill W, the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous and we became close friends, I have had a personal interest in the treatment of alcoholism. Bill taught that there were three components to the treatment of alcoholism: spiritual, mental and medical. AA provided a spiritual home for alcoholics that many could not find anywhere else and helped them sustain abstinence. But for many AA alone was not enough; not everyone in AA had achieved a comfortable sobriety. Bill recognized that the other two components were important. When he heard of our use of niacin for treating alcoholics, he became very enthusiastic about it because niacin gave these unfortunate patients immense relief from their chronic depression and other physical and mental complaints.
Niacin is the most important single treatment for alcoholism, and it is one of the most reliable treatments. And it is safe, much safer than any of the modern psychiatric drugs. Niacin does not work as well when alcoholics are still drinking but in a few cases it has decreased the intake of alcohol until they were abstinent. This conclusion is based on the work my colleagues and I have done since 1953.
I know of many alcoholics who did not want to stop drinking, but did agree to take niacin. Over the years, they gradually were able to reduce their intake until they brought it under control. Some alcoholics can even become social drinkers on a very small scale. I have not found many who could. But I think that if started on the program very early, many more could achieve normalcy. I suspect that treatment centers using those ideas will be made available one day, and will be much more successful than the standard treatment today. This all too often still consists of dumping them into hospitals and letting them dry out, with severe pain and suffering. When they are discharged, most go right back to the alcohol, the most dangerous and widely used street drug available without a prescription.
The late Dr. Roger Williams, a chemistry professor at the University of Texas and former president of the American Chemical Society, also wrote extensively on the alcoholism. Dr. Williams recommended large doses of vitamins and an amino acid called L-glutamine.
What should the alcoholic do to help stop drinking and return his or her body to normal functioning? Supply the following nutrients to the body:
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin). A typical megadose of niacin which may be prescribed for high cholesterol or for alcoholism is about 3 grams per day. A frequent side effect of niacin megadosing is flushing and itching. It is recommended to start with small doses and build up to the megadose. Some people are allergic to large doses of niacin so discontinue niacin if a severe allergic reaction manifests itself. Taking megadoses of niacin for a long period of time can cause liver damage and in order to prevent it you need to take Milk thistle (3 times a day), Cholrella (2 x 10 tablets or 1 heaped tablespoon before breakfast and lunch with 2 glasses of water or vegetable juice), and 2000 mcg of sublingual methylcobalamin only after breakfast (under the tongue). In addition you can also take NAC and Alpha lipoic acid.
- Vitamin C to saturation (on the order of 10,000 to 20,000 mg per day and more). High doses of vitamin C chemically neutralize the toxic breakdown products of alcohol metabolism. Vitamin C also increases the liver’s ability to reverse the fatty build-up so common in alcoholics. To titrate to saturation, take 1000 mg of vitamin C every hour. When saturation is reached, there will be a single episode of diarrhoea; then reduce the dosage to 1000 mg every four hours.
- B-complex tablet (comprising 50 mg of each of the major B-vitamins, 6 times daily).
- L-Glutamine (2000 or 3000 mg). L-Glutamine is an amino acid that decreases physiological cravings for alcohol. It is one the two primary energy providers that burn glycogen to provide fuel to the brain and stimulates many neurofunctions. L- Glutamine is naturally produced in the liver and kidneys. Alcohol harms the kidneys and liver, thus supplementation is vital (concurrently reducing cravings for sugar and alcohol).
- Lecithin (2 to 4 tablespoons daily). Provides inositol and choline, related to the B-complex. Lecithin also helps mobilize fats out of the liver.
- Chromium (at least 200 to perhaps 400 mcg chromium polynicotinate daily). Chromium greatly reduces carbohydrate mis-metabolism, and greatly helps control blood sugar levels. Many, if not most, alcoholics are hypoglycemic.
- A good high-potency multi-vitamin and mineral supplement as well, containing magnesium (400 mg) and the antioxidants carotene and d-alpha tocopherol.
In summary, the alcoholic’s body needs the proper nutrients in adequate quantities to return to normal metabolic functioning. The above nutrients are safe, effective, inexpensive and available from discount stores or health food stores without prescription.
There is not even one death per year from vitamins. Pharmaceutical drugs, properly prescribed and taken as directed, kill over 100,000 Americans annually. Hospital errors kill still more.
Most illness is due fundamentally to malnutrition. This not only includes the chronic diseases, but also viral and bacterial acute illness, which are greatly aggravated by inadequate nutrition. Supplements are not the problem; they are the solution. Malnutrition is the problem.
Editorial Review Board: Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D., Harold D. Foster, Ph.D., Bradford Weeks, M.D., Carolyn Dean, M.D. N.D., Eric Patterson, M.D., Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D., contact person. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Williams, RJ, Roach, MK, “Impaired and inadequate glucose metabolism in the brain as an underlying cause of alcoholism–an hypothesis.”, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1966 August; 56(2): 566-571. http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=224410
Agatha M. Thrash, M.D.
Alcohol injures every cell it touches. It interferes with the enzyme system of cells, and is classed as a poison by physicians and pharmacologists. It is as reasonable to take some other poison such as arsenic, cyanide, or strychnine as to take alcohol. Even though drinking is a commonplace practice, we should train ourselves to feel uneasy or even shocked when somebody takes a drink. It should seem strange. Now that everybody’s health is everybody else’s business, with Medicare, etc., each of us has both a personal and financial interest in the health of others.
Alcohol causes a reduction in muscular coordination. In competitive sports, alcohol is known to interfere significantly with the performance of the athlete. And of course, any person is far less skilful in the operation of a motor vehicle, even the day after alcohol has been taken. One of the little-known injuries of alcohol is that it causes clustering of red blood cells which block tiny blood capillaries, resulting in a reduction of blood to the brain and muscles, and reduced muscular coordination, mental activity, and an impairment of judgement.
Since alcohol directly damages brain cells, learning, in those who drink, is decreased. The injured brain cells are unable to form the protein material needed for the formation of “memory particles.” Memory is further decreased because alcohol interferes with dream time. It is during dreaming that material is stored away in the memory. The nerves are injured by alcohol, making them less able to respond to stimuli. Every pathologist knows that when he opens the cranium of a person who is a chronic alcoholic, he must be prepared to step aside so as not to get splashed by the large quantity of fluid that has replaced the substance of the brain which was lost by alcohol damage. It has been estimated that each time one becomes intoxicated he loses about 10,000 brain cells. Since we have many billions of brain cells, many years of drinking pass before the loss is obvious, but eventually there is a sufficient loss that the diminished substance of the brain can be detected even with the naked eye—quite a loss!
A most serious influence of alcohol is on the unborn child. Even small amounts of regular drinking can result in observable deficiencies in the child. The development of the brain is severely affected; various other tissues, the facial bones, the eyes, teeth, and skin may be affected. The FDA is considering requiring a warning label on each liquor bottle against its use in pregnancy.
Using alcohol causes an increase in all kinds of diseases of the digestive tract, ranging from esophagitis, gastritis, and peptic ulcer to colon disease and cancer of the rectum. There is a great increase in liver malfunction, even if one drinks “only socially.” Not only is there an increase in cirrhosis, the classic end-stage of liver damage from alcohol, but many of the ordinary functions of the liver are altered, such as blood clotting, production of antibodies, and the preparation of raw products for the formation of a variety of essential hormones and chemicals for the body.
The heart is specifically injured by alcohol. “Beer drinker’s heart” is a common term among physicians. Sophisticated tests can show definite signs of heart muscle injury by a single ounce of 90-proof whiskey. The myth that light social drinking is innocuous has been laid to rest. Many tissues are singled out for injury by alcohol. Not only is heart muscle damaged, but so are skeletal muscles. Muscular strength gradually decreases among those who drink alcohol. Even bone weight is reduced by habitual drinking. By X-ray, an alcoholic may appear to be a decade or two older than his age, because of loss of bone density. The pancreas is also specifically damaged, making diabetes, reactive hypoglycemia, pancreatitis, and other diseases of the pancreas more common among drinkers. Pancreatitis rarely occurs except in those who drink.
Alcohol has long been thought to enhance libido and sexual prowess. This myth probably arose from its effect on judgment and inhibitions. It is well recognized now that chronic alcohol use is a major cause of impotence and decreased libido. As a physician and counselor, I recommend a pattern of total abstinence from alcohol. How could any person ever recommend taking a poison!
For more information contact:
Uchee Pines Lifestyle Center, 30 Uchee Pines Road #75, Seale, Alabama 36875, Tel. 334-855-4764,
THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST CLEANSES US FROM ALL SIN
By Pastor Charles Finney
I was conducting a revival in Detroit. One night as I started to walk into the church, a man came up to me and said, “Are you Mr. Finney?”
“I wonder if you will do me a favor. When you finish tonight, could you come home with me and talk to me?”
“Yes. You wait for me.” I walked inside and some of the men stopped me.
“What did that man want, Brother Finney?”
“He wanted me to go home with him.”
“Don’t do it.”
“I’m sorry, but I promised, and I shall go with him.”
When the service was over, the man and I walked three blocks, into a side street, down an alley, and stopped, unlocked the door and said to me, “Come in.” I walked into the room. The man locked the door and reached into his pocket, pulled out a revolver, and held it in his hand. “I don’t intend to do you any harm,” he said. ” I just want to ask you a few questions. Did you mean what you said in your sermon last night?”
“What did I say? I have forgotten.”
“You said, ‘The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.'”
“Yes, God says so.”
The man said, “Brother Finney, you see this gun? It has killed four people. It is mine. Two of them were killed by me, two of them by my bartender in a brawl in my bar. Is there hope for a man like me?”
I said, “The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.”
The man replied, “In the back of this partition is my bar. I own it, everything in it. We sell every kind of liquor to anybody who comes along. Many, many times I have taken the last dollar out of a man’s pocket, letting his family go hungry. Many times mothers have brought their babies here and pled with me not to sell any more booze to their husbands, but I have driven them out, and continued selling liquor. Is there any hope for a man like me?”
I said, “God says, The blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.”
“Another question, Brother Finney, In the back of this other partition there is a gambling establishment and it is as crooked as sin and Satan. There isn’t a decent wheel in the whole place. It is all loaded and crooked. A man may leave the bar with some money left, but we get it from him in there. Men have gone out of there to commit suicide when their money, and perhaps trusted funds, were all gone. Is there any hope for a man like me?”
I said, “God says, The blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.”
“One more question and I will let you go. When you walk out of this alley, you turn to the right, and you’ll see a brown stone house. Its my home, I own it. My wife is there, and our eleven-year-old daughter, Margaret. Thirteen years ago I went to New York on business. I met a beautiful girl. I lied to her. I told her I was a stockbroker and she married me. I brought her here, and when she found out what my business was, it broke her heart. I have come home drunk, beaten her, abused her, locked her out, made her life more miserable than that of any brute beast. About a month ago I went home drunk, mean, miserable. My wife got in the way somehow and I started beating her. My daughter threw herself between us. I slapped her across the face and knocked her against a red-hot stove.
Her arm is burned from the shoulder to the wrist. It will never look the same again. Brother Finney, is there hope for a man like me?”
I took hold of the man’s shoulder, and shook him, and said, “Oh, son, what a black story you have to tell! But God says, ‘The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.'”
The man said, “Thank you; thank you very much. Pray for me. I am coming to church tomorrow night.”
I went about my business. The next morning, about seven o’clock, the bartender started across the street out of his office. His neck tie was awry. His face was dusty and sweaty and tearstained. He was shaking and rocking as though he were drunk. But let us go back to that room. He had taken his swivel chair and smashed the mirror, the fireplace, the desk, and the other chairs. He had smashed the partition on each side. Every bottle and barrel and bar mirror in that saloon were shattered and broken. The sawdust was swimming ankle deep in a terrible mixture of beer, gin, wine, and whiskey. In the gambling establishment the tables were smashed, the dice and the cards were in the fireplace smoldering. He staggered across the street, walked up the stairs of his home, and sat down heavily in the chair in his room. His wife called their daughter and said, “Maggie, run upstairs and tell your father that breakfast is ready.” The girl walked slowly up the stairs. Half afraid, she stood in the door and said, “Daddy, breakfast is ready. Mama says to come down.”
“Maggie, dear, your father doesn’t want any breakfast.”
Maggie ran down the stairs and said, “Mama, daddy said, ‘Maggie, dear,’ and he didn’t –”
“Maggie, you didn’t understand. You go back upstairs and ask him to come down.”
Maggie went back upstairs with her mother following her. The man looked up as he heard his daughter’s footsteps, spread out his knee, and said, “Maggie, come here.”
Shyly, frightened, and trembling, the young girl walked up to him. He placed her on his lap, pressing his face against her weeping. His wife, standing in the doorway, couldn’t understand what had happened. After a while he noticed her and said, “Come here, dear.” He threw his arms around them both, the ones he had so fearfully abused; lowered his face between them, and sobbed until the room almost shook with the impact of his emotion.
After some moments he controlled himself, looked up into their faces and said, “You needn’t be afraid of me any more. God has made a new man out of me. A new husband and father came home today.”
That night the three of them walked down the aisle of the church, and gave their hearts to the Lord. After that it was always a privilege to go into that home, where Christ now held an honored place in each heart.
Written by Slawomir Gromadzki
There are millions in UK who regularly abuse or depend on alcohol. In addition, almost every person who has been living with an alcohol addict for at least a year has a problem called co-addiction.
Alcohol is the cause of the greatest number of accidents, violence, crime, divorces and many other tragedies and problems. There is no doubt that alcohol poses a threat and is harmful not only when consumed in excess, but it turns out that even the smallest glass of alcohol irreversibly destroys brain cells. Alcohol weakens the activity of the immune system, which may contribute to the growth of cancer and many other diseases, which most often result from the malfunction of the immune system. Women who regularly drink alcohol increase the risk of cancer by as much as fifty to one hundred percent. It turns out that even occasional, one-off alcohol abuse can stimulate tumour tissue to grow faster and trigger metastases. This danger seems to particularly affect women with breast cancer. It is believed that beer gradually leads to a colon cancer, while oesophageal cancer is twice as frequent in bartenders.
According to Dr Patrick Holford, “alcohol, coffee, tea, Coca-Cola drinks and cigarettes work like stress, because they stimulate the release of adrenaline and other hormones that initiate a fight or run reaction. Then they prepare the body for effort and raise the level of sugar in the blood, freeing it from storage to the bloodstream, which gives our muscles and mind drive and energy ” (Taste of Health, p. 71). The excess of adrenaline or cortisone resulting from the use of stimulants is very harmful and causes blood sugar spikes, hypertension, can exert a harmful effect on the heart muscle and even damage the brain cells and cells that make up the immune system.
The combination of alcohol and paracetamol is particularly dangerous. This is because the toxic paracetamol metabolism products can be broken down by the liver only when there is an adequate amount of the glutathione amino acid in the body. Consumption of alcohol causes that glutathione cannot be used for the decomposition of paracetamol, as it is used up to break down alcohol.
Unfortunately, in many countries around the world, including ours, excessive alcohol consumption is a big problem. This is not only because the alcohol of people consuming it increases the risk of cancer, but also because of the harm that alcohol abusers do to the environment in which they live. A man with a taste for alcohol was persecuted by a strange dream. He often dreamed that he had seen four rats. One of them was very fat, two were terribly lean and poor looking, and the fourth was blind. Knowing that such dreams do not bode well, he tried to understand the meaning of this dream, but neither he nor his wife or friends knew what it meant. With help, a small boy who was his son came to him unexpectedly. One day, hearing the parents’ conversation, the boy said: This fat rat, Daddy, it must be the owner of the bar who takes all your money. Two skinny rats are mom and me, and you’re probably the blind…
Alcoholism is a morbid addiction to alcohol. Alcoholism affects men more than men several times. In alcoholics, people gradually change, starting with moderate drinking. Over time, addiction becomes unmanageable. People addicted to alcohol often realize their state and are ashamed of their addiction, feel guilty and do not admit that they are alcoholics, even if the environment in which they live knows about it. These people often try to unload their frustrations on the environment and people closest to them. Alcohol disease in each case is carried out in a different way. Some people drink large amounts of alcohol for years without clinical addiction, others may become addicted the first time. Alcoholism causes damage to the brain, pancreas, liver, duodenum and central nervous system, metabolic disturbances of all cells and damages the immune system. Side effects of alcohol consumption may only appear after many years. Alcohol is broken down in the liver, that’s why the alcoholic suffers the most from this organ, which makes the body much less good at fat, protein and fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), but also water-soluble vitamins (vitamin C, B-complex, in particular thiamine and folic acid). Many useful nutrients are not absorbed then. The toxic effect of alcohol on the liver is very strong. Initially, excessive amounts of fat accumulate in the liver, because alcohol hinders their absorption by the body. Alcoholism can also cause inflammation as a result of which the liver cells die. The final stage of liver damage is cirrhosis – this disease causes inflammation, hardening and scarring of the liver, which prevents normal blood flow – the liver cannot then filter toxic substances. Fortunately, the liver is one of the most enduring organs of our body and if the alcoholic breaks the habit in time, then there is still a chance that the liver will start functioning properly. The liver is the only human organ that can regenerate itself after certain types of damage. Even if you cut a large fragment of the liver, tissue regeneration will take place after some time, and the liver will return to its original shape and size. Alcohol also causes damage to the nervous system. Initial symptoms are loss of sensation in the hands and feet, which causes difficulties in walking. Damage to the pancreas is another result of alcohol abuse. This leads to a reduction in the ability to absorb fats and other nutrients. The amount of sugar (glucose) absorbed from the circulation into the cells decreases, which leads to the symptoms of diabetes. The result of excessive consumption of alcohol is also a testosterone deficiency, dilation of blood vessels, hypertension and enlargement of the myocardium, which often leads to a heart attack. The consumption of alcohol by pregnant women is extremely dangerous. It can cause serious damage to the foetus, significantly increasing the risk of miscarriage. Alcohol penetrates through the maternal placenta into the foetal circulatory system, causing central nervous system disorders. In addition, only the foetal liver that is developing should try to eradicate the foreign substance. Because this is not possible, virtually all alcohol gets into the blood vessels. Children whose mothers consumed alcohol during pregnancy are usually born smaller and less developed. There are also cases of more serious disorders. Limbs, joints, fingers and face can be deformed. Some children who are already exposed to alcohol during their foetal life may be hyperactive and have difficulty concentrating and learning. Each glass of alcohol drunk by a pregnant woman increases the risk of miscarriage or the birth of a sick child. Even small doses of alcohol can be harmful, especially during the first three to four months.
It is amazing that alcohol also abuses a lot of Christians, justifying the fact that Jesus during the wedding feast in Cana of Galilee turned water into wine and that he drank wine with his disciples during the last supper. These Christians, however, forget that the last supper was also the Paschal supper, and during the Passover, the Israelites were not allowed to store anything fermented at home, because fermentation is a symbol of sin and corruption in the Bible: “You will find nothing sour and you will not find acid within all your borders “(Exod. 13: 7). Christ could not drink fermented wine, for the Paschal wine was to symbolize His holy blood, and the acid or any fermentation imagined sin (1 Corinthians 5: 6-7). The “wine” which Christ ate during the last supper could not be anything but clean, unfermented grape juice, which at that time was also called wine. In order to define this type of wine in the Old Testament, the word “thirosh” was used, which literally meant “must” or “grape juice”, and such juice was consumed by Christ and disciples. From the content of the Scriptures, it appears that the Creator never intended that man, through fermentation, would spoil the juice contained in the grapes. This is evidenced by what He said through the prophet Isaiah: “Thus says the Lord: As it is said of the grape in which the juice is found: Do not destroy him, for there is a blessing in him!” (Isaiah 65: 8). Also in Cana of Galilee, Christ could not exchange water to wine, but to a grape juice, in accordance with the custom that prevails in Palestine until today, and which consists in the fact that during the wedding feast is usually eaten unfermented grape juice, also called wine. Let us not, therefore, use the content of the Holy Scriptures to justify drinking alcohol, because the Bible nowhere encourages the consumption of alcoholic beverages, on the contrary, as the Apostle Paul wrote: “It is good not to eat meat and drink wine” (Romans 14:21) and elsewhere he warns that “thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, and criminals will not inherit the Kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:10)
For some time, the opinion has been that red wine lowers cholesterol and thus reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke. However, it turns out that alcohol has such an effect only for a certain time, and besides, this is not the best solution, because this alcohol contains very large amounts of harmful histamine and raises the level of triglycerides in the blood, and these are no less than the excess of cholesterol: “Scientists have undermined the role of alcohol. It is true that a glass of red wine helps lower cholesterol levels, but with elevated levels of triglycerides it should be strictly dispensed with, because it increases their content in the blood. This is another mistake made by doctors who recommend alcohol – summarizes prof. Mancini “(Gazeta Wyborcza, 30, 03, 2001). Besides, it’s not the alcohol that’s in the wine, but some grape ingredients lower cholesterol. Why drink wine, which causes many side effects and damages, and can lead to addiction, since you can get much better medicinal properties by eating grapes or grape juice, freeing you from the harmful side effects that accompany drinking alcohol?
The tendency to alcoholism may result from various reasons, such as heredity, lack of meaning in life, attempts to escape from the surrounding reality, depression, various unpleasant experiences, etc. There is no doubt, however, that addictions also have a large relationship with the lifestyle we conduct, especially with what we eat. Some scholars are of the opinion that alcoholism may, among others, contribute to the excessive consumption of salt and protein of animal origin (meat, dairy products and their preparations). This is because salt causes dehydration of the body and animal protein contributes to digestive disorders, irritation of the nervous system and overproduction of highly toxic ammonia. Unhealthy diet leads to deficiencies of B group vitamins, zinc, calcium, magnesium and other ingredients without which the nervous system is not able to function properly. Such a person is easily irritable, and the easiest way to relieve this tension is for many people alcohol so more and more often look for relief in it.
There are many indications that a very large association with alcohol abuse, as well as the use of other stimulants, has an unhealthy diet, related to eating excessive amounts of refined sugar (sweets, cakes, sugary drinks, etc.). The best confirmation of this may be the statement of Dr. Agatha Trash “At the University of Loma Linda, California, studies have been carried out that rats fed with large amounts of sugar have an increasing attraction to alcohol” (Dr Agatha Trash, Food Allergy, p. 78). A scholar conducted an experience with rats that aroused considerable interest. He divided them into two groups. The diet of the first group of rats consisted of meat, processed from white, refined flour and sugar. The second group was given to eat mainly vegetable foods, typical for a vegetarian diet. In addition, both groups of rats received pure water or 10% wine for drinking. After some time, the researchers observed something very interesting. Rats from the first group, consuming meat, sugar and white flour preparations, drank more and more alcohol, up to 13ml per 100 grams. body weight during the week. In contrast, rats from the second group did not drink alcohol at all, but only clean water. Then coffee was added to this unhealthy diet of the first group of rats. As a result, the consumption of alcohol increased unexpectedly, from 13 to 46 ml per 100 gr. weight during the week! Then, after two months, the rats were changed to diet. Now this first group of rats, drinking a lot of alcohol, went on a healthy, vegetarian diet and stopped drinking coffee. And in just one week alcohol consumption dropped from 46 to 4 ml, and after three weeks these rats completely stopped drinking wine and drank only clean water. Researchers found that rats were drinking more and more alcohol because their diet was characterized by a huge deficiency of B vitamins and because meat, sweets, coffee and white flour preparations burden and drain the body so much that it craves something that would it stimulated, for example, alcohol. From this experience it is clear that in order to get rid of alcohol addiction, the diet should be meatless as well as free from sugar, sweets, white bread and coffee for at least a few months.
Many people think that all alcohol-related warnings may only apply to people who regularly abuse alcohol, not those who only consume it only socially and occasionally, or even often, but in moderation. However, despite the fact that occasionally a glass of wine does not do any harm to anyone, such as regular alcohol abuse, it can be very misleading for many people, especially Poles, because it is usually regular consumption of moderate amounts of alcohol to abuse it or turn into addiction, which in turn often leads to divorce, job loss and livelihood, fights, accidents, death and many other tragedies. Alcohol is a drug that is addictive, like caffeine, nicotine or drugs, and therefore it is best not to encourage anyone to consume it even in small amounts, because it is never certain whether this moderate consumption will not turn into addiction. The best proof of this can be millions of addicted people in our country and many other countries around the world. Therefore, let us remember the caution that King Solomon gives us in the Book of Proverbs, writing that “not one road seems simple to man, but eventually leads to death” (Proverbs 14:12).
Addicted people who try to quit addiction experience alcohol craving. It is particularly strong during the first week of the rehabilitation treatment. Some of the possible symptoms include insomnia, visual and auditory hallucinations, convulsions, deep depression, accelerated pulse, profuse sweating and fever. However, if the treatment is carried out properly, these symptoms disappear.
Proper nutrition is particularly important for people addicted to alcohol as they need to supplement virtually all minerals and vitamins. The ingredients listed below should help to fight nutritional deficiencies and alcohol craving.
– The complex of free amino acids (contained in SPECIAL TWO) – are necessary in the case of drug treatment, improve liver function and have a beneficial effect on the nervous system and the brain. These amino acids are necessary for the proper regeneration of liver cells. Wit. B3 (niacin, vitamin PP, nicotinic acid) – calms down, prevents nervousness and stresses – twice a day, 500 mg. Glutathione – shields the liver and reduces alcohol craving – 3000 mg per day on an empty stomach.
Note: Do not take glutamic acid instead of glutathione. L-methionine – Protects glutathione, supporting the absorption of the liver – 1000 mg per day on an empty stomach. Take with 25 mg of vitamin B6 and 100 mg of vitamin C and water or juice, but not with milk. Magnesium – Works with calcium. Magnesium is consumed very quickly by the body in which alcohol is found – 1000 mg daily, before going to bed. Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) – Helps to remove toxins. Indispensable in combating stress.
– Vitamin B-complex, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B1 (thiamine) – in alcoholics, it is often deficient in calcium, Calcium (an extremely important mineral with sedative effects), L-cysteine, Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), Inositol. Manganese – an important trace mineral that supports immune function – 200 mcg per day. Do not take calcium at the same time. Selenium – an important trace mineral, supporting immune function – 200 mcg per day.
– Vitamin D – 5’000 IU a day.
– Vitamin E – 400-1200 units per day.
– Zinc – Deficiency can cause pathological changes in the stomach, similar to those caused by alcohol – 50 mg per day. Do not exceed the 100 mg daily dose of all preparations.
– Star flower oil (the best source of gamma-linolenic acid, from which very beneficial prostaglandins are produced in the body) – 3 times a day 1 capsule after eating. Lecithin capsules – supports the brain, facilitates the processing of fats by the liver. It can protect against cirrhosis of the liver. 1200 mg three times a day, before meals. Complex of multivitamins and minerals (SPECIAL TWO) – 3 times a day 1 tablet after eating.
– The dandelion root and the milk thistle extract help in the regeneration of liver tissue.
– Valerian root, hops and lemon balm have calming properties. The mixture of these herbs is best consumed three times a day between meals and at bedtime.
– Apart from alcohol you must avoid and other stimulants (coffee, tea, cigarettes, chocolate, etc.) in any form. Total abstinence is absolutely necessary to get rid of the addiction permanently. Even after many years of abstinence, you must not consume the least amount of alcohol, because relapse can easily happen.
– A weekly fruit and vegetable fast will certainly help in removing toxins from your body.
– The basic food should be raw vegetables and fruits as well as whole grains.
– Avoid saturated fats and fried foods that overload the liver. The source of essential fatty acids should be olive oil or linseed oil.
– Do not eat refined sugar or any products that contain it. People who are addicted to alcohol often have disruptions in the metabolism of sugars.
– People, places and things that you associate with drinking must be strictly avoided. Try to associate only with friends and people who do not drink. Find new interests, start practicing sports, regular exercises as in this way you will increase your self-esteem and improve levels of good hormones such as serotonin and dopamin.
– Alcoholics are definitely more vulnerable to malnutrition than healthy people, because as much as 50% of the calories absorbed derive from alcohol, not from nutrients. Most often they show a deficiency of folic acid, and poor absorption due to pancreatic insufficiency is a serious problem.
– For long-term alcohol abuse can cause a deficiency of zinc, excreted in the faeces and urine. Zinc plays a key role in the body’s production of extremely important enzymes, as well as the production of DNA and RNA. Zinc deficiency can lead to anorexia, disruption of the sense of taste and smell, growth disorders and reproductive functions, as well as the immune system. Pathological gastric changes may also be a consequence of zinc deficiency. Zinc deficiency associated with alcohol addiction causes a faster degeneration of cells coming into contact with alcohol, which leads to disturbances in fat metabolism, carbohydrate nutrients. This in turn leads to malnutrition. Frequent consumption of alcohol always leads to disruption of metabolic functions caused by the lack of zinc.
– Alcohol is one of the most harmful substances for the stomach and small intestine. It is one of the few substances that can break through the walls of the stomach and damage them. Alcohol increases the secretion of gastric juices, which causes excessive acidity and dissolution of digestive enzymes. This can lead to serious stomach problems. Systematic consumption of alcohol causes the death of red blood cells.
– Studies carried out in Sweden have shown that the majority of alcoholic children who have been adopted by non-abusing parents have finally become alcoholics, which would indicate a certain type of inheritance. Limiting the consumption of alcohol only to low-percentage beverages, such as beer or wine, is not a solution to the problem. Twelve units of beer or five units of wine contain the same amount of alcohol as one unit of whiskey or vodka. Drugs such as sedatives, barbiturates, and ordinary non-prescription painkillers can have very serious side effects in combination with alcohol. The use of certain drugs in combination with alcohol consumption may cause damage to the central nervous system.
– Altschul R; Hoffer A; Stephen JD. (1955). “Influence of nicotinic acid on serum cholesterol in man”. Arch Biochem Biophys 54 (2): 558-559.
– Barrett S. Orthomolecular Therapy. Quackwatch.org.
– Hoffer A, Saul AW. (2009). The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism: How to Protect Against and Fight Alcoholism Using Nutrition and Vitamin Supplementation. Basic Health Publications.
– Niacin and niacinamide (Vitamin B3) MedlinePlus
– The safety of over-the-counter niacin. A randomized placebo-controlled trial
– Niacin Therapy as Used by Abram Hoffer, M.D.
– Linus Pauling Institute